Four Horseman route completed but not badge not earned?

Hi all,
As the original creator of the thread, I thought I would provide you with a further update to my interactions with Zwift. After receiving the standard boilerplate response (and obviously being underwhelmed), this was posted to another similar thread by Zwift staff member @xflintx

I do appreciate the response (which I mentioned in my reply), though the line “At this moment in time we actually don’t have a way to award the badges retroactively, which is not a good user experience. We are, however, working on being able to award those in the future. The reason we cannot, in short, is due to a few legacy issues from the early days of Zwift.” is rather troubling. Sounds like our 2 options are going be:

1. re-do the route when the fix is performed (no timeframe on that)
  2. don’t re-do the route and hope a future fix will award badges after the fact (this could quite some time away - my retirement may come before this :astonished:)

Neither option is ideal from a customer experience perspective. Personally I will probably end up doing Option 1.

On the bright side, at least this issue is finally being recognised and being worked on. Big thanks to those who have posted their experience (even if it was a negative one) and voted up this thread.

I shall continue to keep you posted as I receive updates :grinning:

4 Likes

Me too, although you would have to tell me how to do it.

got the same problem, finished the four horsemen this past saturday plus added some km to make sure (total 100km) and … no badge nor xp… :rage:

Same for me yesterday.

Rode the four horseman route - no internet drop outs

No badge Awarded

Grumble, grumble

DId 4 Horsemen on 9/14/20 - went past the finish banner and part of a second loop. DId not get badge. Am getting increasingly frustrated with Zwift. Zwift - get this fixed

1 Like

@xflintx - any update on this issue?

As an aside, I recommend folks check out the Zwift segments website.

It keeps track of which Zwift Insider Confirmed segments you’ve completed, whether or not you were “officially” navigating the route on Zwift, or whether a Zwift bug had you stuck at the Radio Tower.

1 Like

We don’t have a concrete update in the way that I would like to, which would be to say “hey we fixed it and here are the badges.” I wish we did, and I’m sorry.

The real update is much less awesome and potentially not confidence inspiring, depending on your point of view: right now we are looking at ways to tackle those legacy issues I mentioned and be able to avoid things like this in the future. I don’t have a definite timeline, and I’m not sure what the finished product will look like or mean for those of you that put in a good 4-7 hours effort with no reward, but I can assure you that we are in fact working on something.

1 Like

Zwift has conditioned us for less awesome and uninspiring

I’m getting the picture Zwift code is an epic tangle of spaghetti that started with a simple cruise of Jarvis Island and which has had one expansion after another kludged onto it until the whole thing is running with hundreds of thousands of users and if you even breath on it it’s all going to collapse.

Refactorization, perhaps?

Anyway, thanks for all the reports. You saved me from attempting one of these routes until I see that it works.

5 Likes

That’s exactly what it seems like, I agree. It’s the only way to explain the huge list of seemingly simple improvements and feature requests that are ignored for years, the number of unkept promises and the regularity with which random things break with every update. Some of which were never a problem before or were even dealt with and fixed before.

In my doubtless ill-informed and certainly unsolicited opinion they should consider setting on a team of devs to work on their own recreating the game from scratch. Using a modern, off the shelf engine that scales and works cross-platform by design, and provides scope to grow and evolve without so much pain. The general look and basic mechanics of the platform don’t need to change, but it seems to me that a Zwift 2.0 would solve a lot of apparent problems now the company knows what they would need it to do.

But what we have works well enough for enough people right now, so there’s probably very little incentive to do anything about it.

5 Likes

i understand that the issue of retroactively awarding badges to people who’ve completed the route might be an issue (legacy code and all that), but surely it can’t be complicated to award badges for completed routes going forward. isn’t that the basis of zwift’s reward system in the first place???

Well, Rustem claimed he solved the problem by replacing the files in this directory:
~/Library/Application\ Support/Zwift/assets/Worlds/world1/
(Mac path) with those from a previous release (which basically reverts Watopia to its former form, for example with the semi-hidden Repack Ridge), but I personally wouldn’t bet a 4-hour ride on that.

They tweaked something on the checkpoints proximate to the radio tower and didn’t update the files for Uber Pretzel and 4 Horsemen, is my amateur guess. That should be trivial for them to fix.

right this is my point. it’s been 2 weeks i’ve been reading about this crap and i still haven’t seen a report of anyone awarded the badge as i type this

hi @Skyewalkr
Based on the postings from @xflintx a fix to so people can get the badge for the 4 Horsemen and the Uber Pretzel is still “in progress” - as for receiving the badge “after the fact”, based on the updates, I fear that is quite some time away :roll_eyes: :exploding_head: :scream: :cold_sweat: :persevere:

After all explanation,
What we want are simple:

Fix this and give me badge!

3 Likes

Got the money, spend it.

2 Likes

Sure wish I’d checked the forums before “completing” Four Horsemen today. No badge.(initially I thought it was because I took a long work break in the middle, but seeing this thread suggests not). Will report, but at least I got a workout, L27, and the Tron out of the ride!

2 Likes

$450M should certainly be plenty to refactor the engine, and then some… Of course, the trouble with refactoring is that it will take a looong time (and always longer than planned) with either few improvements visible to end users in the interim or a substandard (and even more time-consuming) approach to maintain compatibility with piecemeal upgrades, or not even aiming for that but rather creating new problems along the way (as demonstrated by this thread, for instance).

I guess an optimist would hope that a major refactoring is exactly what has been in progress at ZHQ for quite a while, with random marketing-driven urgencies pushing the release timeline further and further back. Either that or Messrs. Moneybags didn’t bother with tech due diligence and just wanted a share in a Peloton of their own.

3 Likes

one would think it should be easy to retro add, should be just a tick box of some sort in the backend, for proof we send in logs and route file. depends if zwift want to do it is another matter.

1 Like