Fluctuating Wattage

(Rob Toeppner) #1

Upgraded to the latest KICKR firmware last night.   Unsure if related, but on my ride today the wattage output was constantly - and I meant constantly fluctuating.

I watched it during flat sections to confirm, and doing my best to maintain specific cadence.   I’d see Wattage of:

106, 189, 122, 176, 145, 114, 176 etc, all changing with .5 second each time.   (There are random number, but I’m trying to describe the pretty significant swings.)

I’m not noticing any crazy resistance changes, but the Wattage is all over the map, dropping or increasing by 80+ Watts in half a second.

(Eric C. (Zwift HQ)) #2

Those are large jumps. What version of the firmware is it? Is there a number? I’m going to see if we can reproduce it in-house.

(Justin Stevenson) #3

I’m leaving my kickr on the old firmware version for now. I’m sure there is an issue with the new one. 1.3.32. I updated and the kickr was unable to calculate speed and therefore power. Wahoo sent me a new speed sensor which is now asking for the firmware update but I am afraid to update in case the same happens again. I see loads of posts on the internet about recent issues relating to the speed sensor and also the firmware.

(Rob Toeppner) #4

Firmware is 1.3.32, dated Apr 27.

Those numbers were examples from memory, but the +/- swings were certainly large, and happening a couple of time a second.

(Rob Toeppner) #5

Another ride today.   Did a spindown on the KICKR to double-check.   Still got the fluctuating Wattage, easily 2-3 changes a sec.   Way too fast to even read it most of the time.

Way too many numbers to remember, but I specifically saw a jump from 71W to 121W as I was pedaling evenly on a flat surface.

Is it just me?

(Eric C. (Zwift HQ)) #6

Hi Rob,

We haven’t seen anyone else reporting it yet, but that doesn’t mean it isn’t happening. I’ve got someone looking into this so, hopefully, we can figure out what’s happening.

(Eric C. (Zwift HQ)) #7

In the meantime, I see you have a ticket open with feedback regarding descents - can you submit a new one for this issue and include the log files for the last few rides?

Thanks!

(Rob Toeppner) #8

Will do.   The last 2 rides had the issue, and I don’t think any of them had it prior.

Also note the resistance form the KICKR is fine the whole ride.

(Rob Toeppner) #9

Ticket created with 3 ride logs.

(Eric C. (Zwift HQ)) #10

Thanks Rob!

(Laura Dickinson) #11

Rode with Zwift for the first time today, so a little learning curve since I’m tech challenged. Speed, cadence, heart rate #'s were all spot on. However, despite consistent pedaling, watts were frequently dropping to “0” or “paused” on the Zwift screen. However, the Wahoo app still showed consistent watts.  Not sure why the sketchy watt readout?

(Rob Toeppner) #12

Weather has been nice, so was cycling in the real world - hadn’t been back to the island until recently.

As per another thread, I removed the KICKR sensor, and blasted it with compressed air.   Tried Zwift and still had funky power output.

@EricC. - Did anything come from my support ticket?    Is there an indication it is from the latest firmware, or is it unique to my KICKR?