Flickering graphics caused by launcher version or integrated GPU? [SOLVED]

Swapped the graphics card on the build above, updated Windows with the optional cumulative preview and clean installed the very latest Nvidia driver (a 670MB download) with default control panel settings… and there’s still the same issues on 1.0.52 but not 1.0.50:

• OS platform and version number Windows 10 Pro, Build 10.0.19042
  • GPU hardware make & model (if integrated GPU, please note that) ASUS Phoenix GTX 1650 (GDDR5 version)
  • GPU firmware version 90.17.3d.00.71
  • OS driver version for that GPU Nvidia Game Ready Driver 466.27 (DCH)
  • Number of monitors (i.e. laptop + 1 external / workstation + 3 monitors, etc) One
  • Display cable type(s) (i.e. HDMI / Displayport / Thunderbolt 3 / etc) HDMI
  • Make & model of display(s) Sony KDL-42W653A
  • OS driver version for that display 10.0.19041.488

I don’t actually think it’s anything at all to do with the GPU. A friend has seen the same issues on an AMD card, for example.

Genuinely think yours is a different problem altogether. :confused: And that’s not to play it down, at all. Just think there are potentially multiple problems being mixed up here.

For Windows 10, a screenshot of the “Graphics Card” tab from GPU-Z and a screenshot of the Advanced display settings could be used to get most of the information requested. What is missing is the display cable used.

1 Like

Does this thread deal with the flickering exclusively then? If so, my apologies.

No need to apologise! I originally observed new stutter on my system when the new launcher (or rather, the files it installs) came out back in December. The flickering at high frames was discovered a bit later and is much easier to capture/demonstrate. Both issues can be resolved by rolling back the launcher version (and its files). The reason I started this thread is that the launcher update is now being pushed out rather than being completely optional.

I think the new stutter people like yourself are seeing on integrated graphics are seeing may be independent of this, because a few people have tried rolling back the launcher to no avail. I don’t have a copy of the previous version for Mac though, so if you can get your hands on it that could be worth a try.

Here is the info for my computer. I am experiencing the non-stop stuttering in Fullscreen mode, works fine in Windowed Mode.

I am using a LG TV connected via displayport->HDMI, second display only.

Let me know if that captures everything you need. Thanks for your help!

2 Likes

At the risk of throwing another possibly unrelated graphics issue into the ring, riding around London and everything is fine and as normal but going up leith hill the graphics are terrible and stutter all the time.

Not sure if it is all the trees, mist and other foliage and it is all too much but happens every time.

1 Like

I am always amazed at how many issues I don’t get with Zwift … running on a cheap Win10 laptop with onboard graphics (and running the new launcher) it seems odd that I haven’t experienced any of these issues.

That said I have never run in full screen mode.

@David_Cooper_DIRT like you I’ve never had any Zwift issues until now and had I been running it in Windowed mode I wouldn’t have noticed this one either.
Are you able to try a ride in full screen (issue at its worst on highest available resolution) to see if you experience it? Might help the cause if you are.
Regards.

Happy to give it a go … Won’t be until tomorrow though.

I can count on one hand the number of technical problems I’ve had in the last couple of years that weren’t caused by my own messing about (overclocking etc). This launcher stuff - the problems I’m seeing anyway, probably different/unrelated to those described by folks on integrated graphics - is something I noticed nearly five months ago and have been moaning about since. :rofl:

It’s easy to bypass for now, and then performance for me is just the same as normal. The worrying thing is that at some point they might prevent the game from running without the new launcher, which if not fixed may genuinely see me unsubscribe.

1 Like
  1. OS platform and version number Win10 Home 20H2 19042.928
  2. GPU hardware make & model (if integrated GPU, please note that) NVIDEA GeForce GTX 1650 Super
  3. GPU firmware version 90.16.46.40.42
  4. OS driver version for that GPU NVIDEA 461.09
  5. Number of monitors (i.e. laptop + 1 external / workstation + 3 monitors, etc) 1 external
  6. Display cable type(s) (i.e. HDMI / Displayport / Thunderbolt 3 / etc) HDMI
  7. Make & model of display(s) Veon 55" 4k TV
  8. OS driver version for that display N/A
2 Likes
  1. OS platform and version number macOS Catalina v10.15.7
  2. GPU hardware make & model (if integrated GPU, please note that) Integrated GPU - Intel HD Graphics 4000 1536 MB graphics
  3. GPU firmware version
  4. OS driver version for that GPU
  5. Number of monitors 1 laptop, 1 external
  6. Display cable type(s) Thunderbolt to HDMI
  7. Make & model of display(s) Samsung SMB2230H
  8. OS driver version for that display
2 Likes

I this still an issue in the May update ?
I still run the old launcher (pre april update to avoid problems)

Haven’t tested it yet, but no reason to believe they’ve fixed it.

1 Like

ok, thanks! about to upgrade to may release. i keep the old launcher then.
But i have Nvidia 1660 ti, so perhaps not affected ?

Still the same, testing right now. I’m on a 1660.

Keep the previous launcher if you’re bothered about performance and stability.

1 Like

https://streamable.com/tus4wo

Roll back, absolutely fine.

1 Like

Thanks! Is there a way to keep old launcher, without haveing to do cancel for launcher update, every time zwift is started ?