Flickering graphics caused by launcher version or integrated GPU? [SOLVED]

After updating the game and the launcher to the latest version I’m also now getting the avatar flickering.
Running Zwift in full screen 1080p mode on a 2019 notebook (Intel i9 9980HK, nVidia GTX 2070, 32GB ram). Windows 10 is updated and also nVidia drivers are the latest.
Before this update it was working fine.
Where can I download the 1.0.50 launcher to try it?

Dave, thx for the tip it fixed the problem.
Rolled back to launcher 1.0.50 and now works like before, no more flickering.
I also noticed that my FPS is now higher then with the 1.0.52 launcher (not sure what a launcher has to do with gfx settings)

1 Like

Yeah definitely 2 issues.

I installed zwift onto a new (well old but new to me and refurbished) PC about a month ago so would have been the new launcher and the stuttering graphics only occurred after the latest update.

It happened about 6 months ago after an update, when ot was put down to zwift spawning too many riders at one time, when they fixed this it solved my issues.

I have been using full screen mode, will try windowed today to see if tat helps.

1 Like

I’ve had to patch 2 systems back the the older launcher to stop the avatar flicking or ghosting at high fps using gsync monitors.

1 Like

Thanks for the advice @Nick_Bird_Herd . I have been using Fullscreen / 1080. I will try Windowed mode next time I ride as a workaround.

Jeff

So, I finally jumped on Zwift again. I tried the suggestion that @Nick_Bird_Herd gave about using Windowed Mode. The game runs fine in this mode. So, 1080P / Windowed Mode, no issues. But, 1080P / Fullscreen, and you get a terrible non-stop stutter. It doesn’t make sense, I have been using the same Zwift setup for years now without issue. I hope Zwift will acknowledge this bug and get it fixed ASAP.

Windowed mode is a workaround but not a long term solution, nothing like a Windows task bar and icons to make the game more immersive… /s

Heck, the weather is getting really nice outside (I’m in Colorado), maybe I will suspend my account for the summer for the first time ever. I normally like to support the game and get the occasional ride in, even during the “outside” months, but this graphics stutter bug is frustrating as heck.

Then maximize the zwift window and it’s almost like fullscreen. :wink:

2 Likes

I use Zwift in windowed mode and the Borderless gaming app (TV as second display, connected with HDMI).
Never had problems.

2 Likes

Full screen is a lot smoother though. :wink:

And the problems with the new launcher?

Well yeah, I’m referring to the previous launcher which I’m still using. But that’s Zwift’s problem to resolve, not mine. I shouldn’t have to use Windowed mode, which in my experience on my setup has always been inferior. :confused:

Thanks for the advice. I will try this approach until Zwift (hopefully) fixes the fullscreen issue. :+1:

Hey all - thanks for your help to investigate.

As discussed upstream, there seems to be several separate issues at play.

1. Symptoms may be due to the specific GPU you’re using, especially in Windows machines. Further, it is possible that GPU’s integrated onto the motherboard may exhibit this symptom where add-on GPU cards do not

2. The GPU refresh rate settings in game and the refresh rate settings on your display may matter. It may be worth looking at those on your particular computer.

3. The Zwift launcher app version should not matter. The launcher has three basic functions, none of which should affect graphics in any way.

• Downloads game app files
  • Patches game app update files
  • Initiates the launch of the game app.

While we don’t want to reject the idea that the launcher app is tied to this, it’s much more likely that the graphics chain of hardware, firmware/drivers, and settings are causing problems.

If you’re seeing the flickering, please help us by listing these things in your graphics chain:

1. OS platform and version number
  2. GPU hardware make & model (if integrated GPU, please note that)
  3. GPU firmware version
  4. OS driver version for that GPU
  5. Number of monitors (i.e. laptop + 1 external / workstation + 3 monitors, etc)
  6. Display cable type(s) (i.e. HDMI / Displayport / Thunderbolt 3 / etc)
  7. Make & model of display(s)
  8. OS driver version for that display

I know this is a PITA request, but we want to isolate common variables among the folks reporting this issue. If there’s not a common theme - it’s possible that it’s specific to your setup and that one of these variables is creating a conflict that causes graphics glitches. Thank you for helping us get to the root of this isue.

It also overwrites and uses different versions of several game files (five in total) depending on which version of the launcher/installer is used. This keeps being overlooked for some reason.

1 Like

GPU firmware version? That’s going a bit far, no?

I bet most people don’t even know how to find it.

That’s the level of detail our GPU guy asks for.

In one instance that he tells us about - someone was using a monitor and it turns out the manufacturer posted a known issue article with the Microsoft driver for that monitor. Updating to the manufacturer’s driver cleared up his issue.

So these details can matter and we can’t address them until we have visibility on most of this minutiae.

Fair enough. I just think it’ll be dead in the water because very few people will be inclined to find and provide all that info.

Just tell him to roll back patcher.dll. That’s all he needs to do. :wink:

Main rig (stutter instead of smooth motion, and flickering at high frame rates - on 1.0.52 but not 1.0.50):

• OS platform and version number Windows 10 Home Single Language, Build 10.0.19042
  • GPU hardware make & model (if integrated GPU, please note that) Palit GeForce GTX 1660 StormX
  • GPU firmware version 90.16.25.00.73
  • OS driver version for that GPU Nvidia Game Ready Driver 456.71 (DCH)
  • Number of monitors (i.e. laptop + 1 external / workstation + 3 monitors, etc) One
  • Display cable type(s) (i.e. HDMI / Displayport / Thunderbolt 3 / etc) DisplayPort
  • Make & model of display(s) electriQ 27MQ95FSHDRU
  • OS driver version for that display 10.0.19041.488

Late 2012 i7 Mac Mini, macOS Catalina 10.15.7 (24 September, 2020), Intel HD Graphics 4000 1536 MB, 16GB Ram, Dell 24" monitor, HDMI.

Worked perfectly fine on this rig before the update. Not anymore. The stuttering is so bad that any other issue pales in comparison. I don’t know (or care at this point) if flickering is happening. I will check tomorrow if the windowed mode solves the issue as some have reported. I always run full screen. If this DOES solve the issue, surely all external issues are irrelevant?

2 Likes

PC I’m currently building for someone (same issues on 1.0.52 but not 1.0.50):

• OS platform and version number Windows 10 Pro, Build 10.0.19042
  • GPU hardware make & model (if integrated GPU, please note that) Zotac GeForce GTX 960 Single Fan
  • GPU firmware version 84.06.32.00.1a
  • OS driver version for that GPU Nvidia Game Ready Driver 456.71 (DCH)
  • Number of monitors (i.e. laptop + 1 external / workstation + 3 monitors, etc) One
  • Display cable type(s) (i.e. HDMI / Displayport / Thunderbolt 3 / etc) HDMI
  • Make & model of display(s) Sony KDL-42W653A
  • OS driver version for that display 10.0.19041.488