Flickering graphics caused by launcher version or integrated GPU? [SOLVED]

Here’s the previous thread: New launcher (1.0.51) causing stutter on Windows systems

@shooj @Dave_ZPCMR

Here is a video I just took of the sun light flickering, plus a sweet dude doing mad burnouts in the middle of the road. I have never noticed this before the recent update. I did see one other person post about the sun flickering and I think he was on Apple TV. I’m on Windows 10.

1 Like

Been on an old launcher for a while but went and updated just now to see for myself. Fanview’ed others around Watopia and in the 5 or so mins I watched others, it was evident most of the time (and would be super annoying to ride with). Win10/4k/1650super/i5-9400.

1 Like

@shooj - Same issue here immediately after taking the latest game / launcher update. Always ran on 1080p prior to this and never had this issue before, always been smooth as butter. Now affecting all my rides :frowning: :
Low resolution setting - barely usable but sun strobes badly and juddery when going round corners when there’s lots of scenery in frame.
Medium res - as above but more noticeable juddering on other riders and general scenery
High res - Unusable - juddering so bad can’t look at screen.
Windows 10 laptop / i5 / 8GB RAM / Intel HD 4000 graphics.

Anywhere I can download an earlier version of the launcher as a workaround for now?

3 Likes

I have a theory as to why it’s seemingly affecting people on integrated graphics too. All this may even explain why people on 10th and 11th gen iGPUs have been having crashing issues for the last few months.

Check your PMs.

I can reproduce it. Unfortunately I only have one PC but i can at least confirm it’s not the display cable. my specs are intel i5-4570, 12gb ram, nvidia gtx 1050ti, running on 1440 with display port on freesync at 75hz. there is stuttering on the newer launcher

2 Likes

First ride since the 23rd of March. Updated last night and rode the ToW this morning. I’ve got The Dreaded Launcher Flicker too, dammit. i7-6700k, GTX1660Ti with an LG Gaming monitor. Wasn’t doing this before I left…

How do we revert to 1.0.50 which is what I had before the forced update?

Anybody know where to find an old launcher for Mac?

1 Like

Afraid I can’t help with that one. :confused:

Mac OS user on a Mac book pro - since the update it’s been really glitchy as well; so jittery. Thought it was my internet (it wasn’t!) - I turned it down to 720 and there was no change. If anyone uses time machine you can probably go back to a time pre-update

Unfortunately I cannot confirm if performance issues people are seeing are directly related to the launcher/installer or not, especially on Mac. You need to be able to roll back the launcher to see if it’s the same problem I have (where rolling back resolves it completely). I first highlighted this in December, the only difference is that as of the latest game update, the launcher is also updated. This never used to be the case, the two were completely independent of one another. So many people will suddenly be on the newer launcher having never considered it before.

I suspect there are a couple of different things going on here, because on my laptop (integrated graphics, Basic profile) I’m seeing some daft stuff like the sun flickering. Rolling back the launcher does not help this, so I guess it must be related to the game update. We probably need to be careful not to mix up the two.

I cant take the stutter anymore so I’ve bitten the bullet and installed windows on my macbook. Dave, like with Nick, if you could send me a link to the version you’d recommend (1.0.50?) that’d be fab, thanks

I’m doubtful it’ll help to be honest. There seems to a different issue going on with integrated graphics performance. I’ll send it anyway though for you to try.

@Simon_Lockyer - With kind assistance and help from @Dave_ZPCMR I’ve found that in my case (Windows 10 laptop, integrated HD 4000 graphics):

• With the latest game version (1.0.67624) it doesn’t make and difference which version of the launcher is used (I’ve tried 1.0.50 and the latest 1.0.52), the problem (everything juddering / sun strobing) is persistent on all resolution modes.

• The problem only occurs when running in Full Screen mode. Switch to Windowed mode, the problem goes away on all resolutions, 1080p back to being clear and smooth as anything. Revert to Full Screen again and it’s unusable once more.

• I’ve never seen or had this issue before the latest game update (always ran it at 1080p on Full Screen with no issue)

Any ‘fix’ that the earlier launcher versions may have been offering previous game versions seems to have been nullified by this latest game version.

@shooj Would appreciate it this can be reviewed / acknowledged as an issue?
Looks as though it’s affecting Macs and Windows from the various reports cropping up.
In my case Windows 10, integrated Intel HD 4000 graphics - Game version 1.0.67624 will not run in Full Screen mode without suffering persistent juddering / sun strobing on all resolutions. The issue is not present when reverting to Windowed mode.

Thanks
Nick.

1 Like

Genuinely think there are two separate issues here:

1. Stutter and stability issues including avatar flickering on systems with dedicated graphics cards (both Nvidia and AMD); a problem that can be completely resolved by rolling back the launcher which overwrites various files. This has been the same since December and the reason for both this and my previous thread.
  2. Stutter and visual issues on the latest game update with integrated graphics (both Mac and PC) which cannot be resolved by rolling back the launcher. This seems to be a different and new problem.

It could be the same underlying cause of course, but it doesn’t really make sense that one can be fixed and the other can’t.

Hey guys, just adding my two cents here. I haven’t been very active on Zwift lately, as the weather has been very nice :slight_smile: , however I have been experiencing non-stop graphics stuttering in the game. I’ve used Zwift for multiple years on the same setup (trainer, sensors, computer, etc…) without this issue. Like the others here the issue first started after the launcher and game were updated (same day). I use a Lenovo Windows 10 Laptop to run Zwift. The graphics stutter is non-stop for me, and is very frustrating. It makes you feel like you are riding very slow, if that makes sense. I hope Zwift can figure this out and can get it fixed ASAP. The graphics stutter does not make riding in the game very enjoyable.

1 Like

@Jeff_Darrow, are you running Zwift in Full Screen mode? If yes, try it on Windowed mode for a possible temporary workaround.

I get constant bad stutter (since the latest game update) on all resolutions using full screen mode but the problem disappears for me if I change to Windowed mode.

I say temporary workaround. That’s assuming assuming Zwift lift their head out of the sand, break radio silence, and acknowledge this as a problem to fix given the increasing number of people seeing it.

Nick

Just rolled launcher back tp 1.0.50 and the rider flickering stopped. However, am still getting a screen stutter/freeze at least once a ride. Happened on a group ride yesterday and when it stopped, it lasted about a second, I had dropped back in the peloton. Not sure why this is happening when I’m using an Nvidia 1660 Super at 144hz and the stutter/freeze doesn’t correspond to an FPS drop when I run the log file through Zwiftalizer. Network connection is solid too.

Got OneDrive or any other cloud sync software running? Could correspond with the automatic screenshot that occurs by default, so try changing that to Only My Shots to begin with.

Glad you fixed the flickering. :+1: