FIXED: Trainer Resistance Issues (Mainly on iOS Devices)

In the last few rides (twice on Alpe and once on Innsbruck) my trainer has suddenly lost resistance and my watts/kg has exploded from 2.x to something like 23.x. Anyone had this happen to them? I’m on a '14 Kickr and it’s happened on Apple TV, both 4th gen and 4K.

Around the same time, I began experiencing consistent dropped BT signals on the 4K, but not 4th gen. Not sure if that is related.

In my case, cadence comes from the Neo, as does power and speed.

https://tgw.onl/hostgator/ https://tgw.onl/dreamhost/ https://tgw.onl/bluehost/

Indeed problems started with some release after June 2018. I was happily using Zwift with my iPad and my Elite Direto until June or July when I stopped using the trainer and took a break. When I came back in September the issues started and remain the same until today.
Since my trainer is unusable with Zwift and my iPad at the moment I’m considering cancelling my subscription until they manage to fix the issues, because is a waste of money and time.

Tacx Flow smart
Apple TV

Same issues here. It’s getting increasingly unusable. So frustrating when you’re in the middle of a training session and suddenly the power disappears or the cadence goes to zero!

Time to look at alternatives to Zwift?

Continuing the discussion from FIXED: Trainer Resistance Issues (Mainly on iOS Devices):

It’ss till is not fixed. The support team just says to reset it multiple times or it must be an apple problem. It’s not, it’s a Zwift problem.

Im currently at 114 watts and 141 bpm in zwift. Garmin has my heart rate at 170 ish and pedals at 280

Let me know what alternatives you find

Are you sure you have updated to the latest release?

Auto-update is not immediate. Manually go into the App store and make sure that the Zwift app has been updated: version 1.0.35413 - 4/26/2019

You might also want to double check that your tvOS is updated as well: 12.2.1

In addition to what Zwift support has recommended below, I’ve also hard reset apple TV and uninstalled the app multiple times. Moral of the story, the release was not ready but decided to deploy it anyway.

If that does not work, please give this a try:

• Unpair all sensors that connect. Then close Zwift.
  • Reinstall Zwift on your Apple TV through the app store on your ATV.
  • Pair your devices and calibrate your trainer.
  • Go for a test ride.

Normally, for the last couple months, I have been using my MacBook w/out issue. I just tested my iPhone in workout/ERG mode for about 10min. Everything worked as it should.

I am not able to completely test w/my AppleTV. Bike is in a different part of the house. However, I did pair my HR monitor for comparison against my Garmin. I watched that for about 5min. All good.

Noticed you said your HR was 170bpm via Garmin and 141bpm in Zwift. If so, I would not be so quick to blame Zwift. You should double check your device pairings. I used my AppleTV for over a year w/a Tacx Neo. HR has never been an issue. I have had a loss of resistance, but only a couple of times. H3ll, it could have been signal interference for all I know. If I get a chance later, I will move the bike and test ride w/my AppleTV.

Again, double check your device pairings.

Trainer: Tacx Bushido, latest firmware update (checked Feb 1st 2020)
Power: 4iiii Crank based, , latest firmware update (checked Feb 1st 2020)
Cadence: same as power
HR: Tickr, , latest firmware update (checked Feb 1st 2020)
Apple TV 4K: , latest firmware update (checked Feb 1st 2020)

Problem: intermittent “no resistance, Road feel, Gradient resistance”

Everything worked fine for 4 years using MacBook and Ant+

Is this really still an issue?

Problem

Tacx neo 1. Latest firmware
Apple TV latest iOS version
Zwift latest version

Did a group meet-up Saturday that went over the epic KOM twice. No resistance/ gradient changes, no ride ins shown either.

Thought this had been fixed

I run the same setup. Sometimes w/Macbook or iPhone as well. No issues ever w/resistance/gradient changes. Ride Ons… only a few times in the last 4yrs. Make sure your Companion app is updated. Force quit everything after each session (i.e., Zwift and the CompanionApp)

1 Like

I always do force quit Zwift on the TV and the companion app. Normally good, but weird that the bug still exists occasionally with no resistance.

This issue returned for me this morning, on the Tour of Watopia B ride at 05:00GMT.
I’m still using the same old Apple TV and Neo 1 as I’ve been using when I reported this originally.

Same symptoms, no resistance change while going up or down inclines. I joined the ride quite early, and walked around the house wearing my Tickr HRM which would have gone out of range, triggering the Bluetooth reconnection code, when I came back into range. I wonder if anything has changed here in recent Zwift releases, as I’ve not experenced this since it was fixed back in November 2018.

special health question : how to manage a max heart rate, and have alert when I ride
last time PRL Half max targeted heart rate too high 173 bpm problem : i’me 62 year old
methode Astrand FCM = 220 - “year old” = 220 - 62 = 118 bpm max
methode Gellish FCM = 206,9 – (0,67 x “year old”) = 165 bpm max
FCM : maxi heart rate

I had the same issue doing a workout synced from TrainingPeaks yesterday and today. Running on Apple TV, app shows correct watts and cadence but when the watts are supposed to change, the resistance doesn’t change

Can someone help me here I have Bluetooth disconnect issue I think.

Tacx smart flow
Pc
Bluetooth

Month ago was fine week ago about 3 times
Today drove me mad progressively worse on SST mid in erg mode drops to 0 watts and cadence too. Takes up to about a minute before all a sudden kicks back in cadence jumps up and off I go again. Lost all confidence in it currently ruining my training.

We had the same issues and what solved our issue was to upgrade our wireless network. Issues have completely stopped. We were using the wireless on the Xfinity modem and now have an Eero mesh network plugged into the Xfinity modem

Thanks but my issue definately isn’t wireless network related. My Tacx Smartflow connects via BLE to my PC which is wired. Also i’ve seen from time to time our Internet connection drop and this doesn’t affect the smart trainer power/cadence reading they stay connected to the local Zwift client running on the PC.

I gather i need to raise a support ticket for this…

I’m not sure this is the correct thread, but:

Latest windows 10
Tacx Flux S
Generic HR Strap
Bluetooth

During structured workouts, my resistance seems to go through the roof about 20 mins in, that is, previously spinning out my lower gears during recovery becomes impossible and I end up grinding along at <50 RPM. This doesn’t happen during freeride.

Any tips on how to prevent this? If I stop to reset and re-pair it really messes with intervals and doesn’t always solve the problem…

Hi,
I see that this thread is fixed but I have a problem with my Tacx Flux S and fluctuations in resistance.

As soon as I hit a climb over 4% on average the resistance fluctuates from 4w/kg to 1.5w/kg and back every 3 or 4 seconds for the duration of the ride. I have cycled up ADZ and it was horrific for over an hour.
I have spoken to garmin support and they suggested I tried workouts on the Tacx training app; so I cycled up Alpe D’Huez to get a comparison- no problems at all, in fact the experience was very smooth. Went back to Zwift and boom resistance fluctuates.

Any ideas what the problem is?

My set up is:
Tacx Flux S 2020 (3 months old)
iPad 6th generation V14.2
Zwift - latest update 1.0.58982
Bluetooth
Sim not erg mode

Hope you can help as it’s putting me off cycling on Zwift but Tacx is so boring!!!

1 Like