Fence Kick Mode aka "Return to Group" Returns [June 2022]

Fences are automatically set to zap flyers. There’s no option to do otherwise, except to switch off the fence during the ride

Reach out to events@zwift.com and we can sort it for you.

We can add a tag to the ride config to enable “non-zapping fence”

I have calibrated my settings to 2, 5 and 20 secs on my flat rides and seems fine.

2 secs to rally at the start before extending it to 5 secs once the group starts stretching a bit but within the fence limit.

Once the pace had settled down, I would extend it to 20 secs out of map sight unless zoomed out. Only when a climb appeared then will it return to sight but reasonably spaced ahead if the group followed the leader.

Flyers who managed to get that far will choose either get behind or say sayonara. I leave it to them decide their own fate. Even at the end, the time gaps for the front break should be within the 20 sec fence if they stayed well behind it.

Has the fence gone back to “no kick” mode? Had plenty of fliers this morning for our Cryo-Gen event and no one was kicked.

It seems fairly adhoc though I understand organisers can request it if it isn’t on. The early messaging was that it was going to be on for all rides but :man_shrugging:

You can check on ZwiftHacks which rides do/don’t have zapping configured …

1 Like

This is just confusing. Is it ride leaders (as in the first message of this thread) or event organizers who can do the zapping, ie is there a new thingy in the ride leader UI for this or is it simply a per-event setting (as per the screenshot above) beyond the actual ride leader’s control?

Even the ride leaders are confused as it has been reasonably common for them to ask riders if they get the countdown or not at the start. I believe its event setup and not in control of ride leader (no new tools for them, just Fence Off / On onscreen setting).

No more confusing than the dual cat system we have :rofl:

1 Like

I thought it’s been said that the ride leaders can toggle it on/off at will during a ride, eg. for those who want to do any of the course KOM sprints, etc… So, I assume the ride leader has control over this. Is this not accurate?

I’ve used this feature for a few group rides I lead. Here is a quick summary of what it is:

• You can ask for Zwift to enable the fence(I believe it now defaults to zapping), you can ask for zapping or no zapping

• Once the group ride starts, the fence is off

• The event leader can turn it on or off, but there is no option to have it on without the zapping feature

• The leader can turn the ENTIRE fence on or off at any time, not just the zapping feature

• If you go in front of the fence, riders will get a countdown of one minute, there is nothing that tells them they are about to be kicked from the event.

1 Like

What Oliver said - the zapping part is event configured. Leader can only turn the fence on/off. Its zaps if configured to zap, or warns to get behind if not.

2 Likes

James confirms this to be true.

2 Likes

I’ve seen the fence flicker on screen in front of my avatar sometimes, including when I’m not even in an event. Only talking one or two frames so it’s incredibly fast and barely noticeable, but if I had to guess, I’d say the game logic puts a virtual fence on everyone at all times and compares it to that of the leader (should one exist). Yet another potential explanation for the stuttering I still see.

It was zapping and has since stopped with no changes to event setup. Fence “pop-up” does show flyers but never zaps. Message sent to HQ. We’ll see.

It’s definitely still set to zap on the event you’ve referred to.

And yet it did not zap anyone yesterday… Had 20-30 flyers and nothing registered on the counter that anyone was ejected. Unless the counter is not functioning?

I’d definitely be keen to hear from anyone else with a similar experience.

I’ll monitor it during our event tomorrow too.

1 Like

I lead a 100 km ride every Sunday evening/Monday morning… I actually happy with the zapping fence.

I tell my riders time and time again… that it’s a zapping fence… I let them know that it had a 60 countdown,
I ask them to fall back behind group if they wanna sprint the segment… it serves two things., they actually get a better segment time due to using group draft. And they help me by not stretching the group.

I have one segment, where I’ve lost riders a couple of times- so that specific segment I stretch the fence to 10 sec… and by descending the segment., I let group know I’m pulling in the fence …

The fence is helpful…
and since my ride is a “distance “ ride.,
That equals that at the end with around 500 m to go … it’s fine by me if group wanna sprint.,

Distance ride equals that first rider crossing banner… gets “:1st_place_medal:” … place …

My riders like that it’s team first mentality… it’s a group ride …

So flyers and others stretching the bunch are ruining it …
If you wanna sprint way of front … then don’t join a group ride …
:wink:

4 Likes

There was a configuration issue with the fence for this event. It has been rectified.