Failed spin down

Hey, Paul - I have NOT got a “fix” for this figured out (or had zwift or wahoo help) yet. Please post if you do.
I still can’t get the zwift spindown to “pass”.
In contrast to Cari (below), I can ride out better than what she is showing for wattage. I can spin out seemingly normal watt rates for flat ground, but on a climb - the resistance is almost laughable & despite the torque I put out, I always seem to get a 3-5 mph climbing rate.
Good luck w/yours - let me know if you find a solution! thanx!

I’ve observed the following after I updated the Snap firmware:

1. my watts are under-reported by at least 50! (did a competitive ride, same HR min/max as usual, same perceived effort, avg watts 50+ less, 1w/kg less as well)
  2. spin down works on wahoo app, but doesn’t affect inaccurate reporting of watts
  3. spin down failed on Zwift, took huge effort to get to 23mph, then spindown stopped at 2mph and timed out (it had always worked previously)
  4. I have over 11,000 miles on Zwift so I know what is “normal” and this isn’t! I believe it to be a SNAP issue and not a Zwift one
  5. FYI using bluetooth, ipad (having switched from laptop/ant+ several months ago), 100psi on tire, 2 full turns on knob after contact which is what I’ve always done and the instructions indicate.

My ticket to Wahoo hasn’t been responded to yet, I would like to revert to the previous firmware version! If I hear anything I will report back.

Ron

2 Likes

I have had the exact same problem with my Kickr Snap after the firmware update. Please share your response from wahoo.

I’m considering changing my tire and trying to get my spinndown between 10-15 seconds.

Hope to find a solution soon!

Lars

Hi Lars,
Their response was “Though some 3rd party apps also support spindowns (like Zwift), the Wahoo Fitness app should be used exclusively for the best and most consistent experience. A spindown is recommended every 2 weeks or after transporting to a new location.
The cross calibration could very well be the reason for the differences.

I would suggest calibrating just in the Wahoo Fitness app and then check for more consistent readings.”

I don’t think that explains it entirely, but I found in another forum that they suggested inflating to 110psi and spinning down to 10-15 secs as you say, I got it to just under 13 but it took 2.5 turns to tighten it enough first. The variability is less now but still fewer watts output overall (maybe I’m just not as good as I thought?). Hope that helps…
Ron

1 Like

Thanks, Ron!

I’m going to follow your advice and hopefully we will get even more fit for the summer because of our sudden loss of watts :slight_smile:

Lars

I’m also having a problem with inaccurate calibration of my SNAP 17. I only use the Wahoo App for spindown.

I thought the issue is caused by a longer spindown time due to a different trainer tire. Wahoo tells me that this isn’t a problem. I would love to see some numbers to back that up. I’m hoping that someone with a SNAP and a power meter on their bike will run an experiment and post the results.

Kickr SNAP 2017 Spindown

Lars, that is a good way to look at it! And if we get back to the wattage we had then we will be extremely fit!

Ron

I am having the same issue. Kickr will not calibrate. I have Had zwift for over a year now and really enjoyed it but now this issue is not something i want to deal with especially when I am paying membership fees.

1 Like

I’m having the same problem. I can calibrate on the Wahoo app, but not on Zwift.

Paul, Jim, reading other posts I think there was a Bluetooth issue with the latest Zwift update that caused some trainers to lag changes in resistance, and not be able to complete a spin down. For me, my trainer stuck at 2 mph even though the flywheel had stopped spinning.

Resistance control worked fine once I switched from Bluetooth to Ant+. However, there was no longer a button to perform a spin down so I need to look into that more.

1 Like

Thanks, Robert. Now that you point it out,my problem began after the Zwift update. My trainer gets stuck at 2 mph after the flywheel stops spinning. I submitted a request to support.zwift.com and will post the answer when I get a response.

I messaged support.zwift.com and received a response immediately. They sent out an update, which I downloaded on my Mac. I will try it tonight, but great support from Zwift!

I’ve been waiting for months to hear from zwift with the same problem.

1 Like

I am having the same problem with Zwift and spin down failing on Kickr Snap.
Did this for years with no problems.
Stuck at 2 mph or similar like others reporting
Wahoo bolt spin down works without issue- annoying to have to stop my ride and then log out of zwift spin down then relog back into zwift.

Mention of a mac update- any news of an iOS one? I am using that. Agree update may have caused.

I updated. It works perfectly again.

It seems this issue is back again.

1 Like

Spin down wouldn’t work for me on Wednesday either
As soon as i touched the pedal to start cycling, it said the test was completed.

Hi there,

I am unable to get Spindown to work anymore in Zwift on Wahoo Kickr (2018). It still works on the Wahoo app.

I can put out about 500 watts to get to 37 kph, then it gets stuck at 2 kph, then fails, everytime. wahoo app no problem

E

Same problem for me. Kikr late 2018 version. Went to the Wahoo app and did it there. Zwift any thoughts?

Don’t think this will help everyone here, but I have a kickr core and was having this issue today. Specifically having to put out huge watts to get speed up to 23mph then taking forever to come down with failed calibration as the result.

I realized I was trying to calibrate on a 3% gradient with trainer difficulty set to max. By turning trainer difficulty all the way down i removed the simulated resistance of the gradient and was easily able to spin up to 23mph with a successful calibration. Also think starting from a complete stop may be important.