ERG mode wattage target can get stuck during session

Zwift in ERG Mode during workout does not match interval wattage to what its instructing trainer, i.e. workout interval is 250w and ERG mode is only telling trainer to set for 100w. Appears to change wattage at random and not in sync with workout timing.

Saris Hammer H3
iPhone 11 Pro i os 14.4.1
BLE
In ERG Mode

I had exactly the same issue again today

ERG is actually working (pedalling faster makes the resistance lighter so the wattage output doesn’t change) and vice versa; the problem is exactly as described - the target wattage is out of sync with the workout.

Another give away is in the last two workouts I’ve done, the final block was a 5-minute warmdown, but, disregarding the fact that the wattage was set wrong for the warmdown, the on screen pop up text read ‘now we’re going to do a 10 minute gradual warmdown’

ERG is actually working, it’s either that the coding for the workouts is wrong so that the Wattage changes at the wrong points, or the workouts have changed and they didn’t correct the coding to match

Windows App, BLE, Kickr Core and Kicr Climb (although I lock the Climb for workouts so that it stays at 0%)

1 Like

This is happening to me - get stuck at 120w on a workout that should only very briefly target that wattage during warm-up.

Trainer: Kickr Core
Device with Zwift App: Mac (Big Sur)
ANT + or BLE: BLE
ERG mode or SIM: ERG mode

It’s incredibly frustrating to experience this, and the fact that there doesn’t seem to be a resolution or even suggested workaround, two years after the original post, is very disappointing.

We have a very similar issue only with Bluetooth/Apple TV.

When in erg mode wattage does not match the requested erg wattage consistently. There seems to be disconnect between what the session should be holding and what zwift is telling the trainer hold in erg.

Wattbike Atom
Apple TV
Bluetooth

This appears to not be an issue with Ant+ Workouts.

Trainer: Kicker Core
Device with Zwift App: Windows PC
ANT + or BLE: Bluetooth for power and cadence, Ant+ for controller
ERG mode or SIM: ERG

Would really appriceate an update on this issue. It consistently ruins at least 1 of 3 workouts per week…

It looks like this has been a known issue since 2018??

Stuck at 186w for 10 mins, stopped pedalling completely then restarted, seemed to sort it.

Trainer: Tacx flux2
Device with Zwift App:apple MacBook Pro
ANT + or BLE:BLE

I’ve had several scenarios where the ERG power target will get stuck when dropping down to a free-ride recovery section. I’ve also experienced the opposite scenario where if you start pedalling before coming into a workout then ERG mode will not engage at all unless you skip forward a segment.

Kickr CORE latest firmware ANT+ or BLE
Garmin Vector pedals with power match
PC Windows 10 or Mac OS Catalina desktop client

Same here: Kickr Core, AppleTV and companion app.

Is there any update on this issue?
2 out of 3 sessions ERG pump up the resistance to a level where I cannot pedal at all. It’s just stuck or I am getting the strength of an ant all of a sudden.

That seem like the Spiral of death.

As if Zwift Academy wasn’t already hard enough this happened to me today. I could barely turn the pedals over even when standing up.

Device with Zwift App: iPad
ANT + or BLE: ANT+

Similar problems during Zwift Academy workouts. Power required is much greater than displayed power. It happened today about 45 minutes into ZA workout 5. This happened during the previous 2 ERG enabled rides, also.

Windows 10, HP Envy
Computrainer with USB connection.

I’m having the exact same issue. Windows 10 laptop, kickr snap trainer. I’ve tried all of the frequently suggested fixes - sometimes multiple times - but this continues to ruin at least one workout a week.

I’m loosing hope when I see it’s been an issue since 2018. Do the other smart trainer applications have this problem?

This is also happening to me.

Trainer: Jetblack Volt
Device with Zwift App: Dell Windows 10
ANT + or BLE: ANT +
ERG mode or SIM: ERG mode

Trainer: Wahoo KICKR
Device with Zwift App: Windows laptop

Trainer Tunturi 70i
Zwift app in android11
BLE
ERG mode

During workouts in ERG mode when freeride is needed, it is impossible to change wattage. Nor in erg mode off or on nor on zwift app screen nor on tunturi hometrainer itself.

Trainer: Wahoo Kickr
Device with Zwift App: Windows 11

First workout with Windows 11, ERG level stuck.

1 Like

Pic attached, power got stuck at 277w, had to disconnect everything and repair, ride picked up OK. You’ll also see cadence got stuck at 67rpm too.

Trainer: saris cycleops h2
PM: garmin vector 3’s (dual)
connection: BLE
ERG or SIM: SIM

Either Windows 11 BLE issue or Zwift-W11 issue as I went back to Windows 10 and everything is fine again.

Hi there,

Just did a FTP strength workout with seated sprints. I had intermittent connectivity issues. Then had the problems you described after my first seated sprint.

Device with Zwift App: Windows 10 fully patched
ERG mode or SIM: ERG for cooldowns and SIM for seated sprints; but after the first one it got stuck at 136w. Resistance remained good enough to just use zwift as a timer.

I have no idea how effective my workout was though. :upside_down_face: