End of ride: No images presented (or uploaded...)

You are unbelievable. Thanks!

Strava won’t tell me when you started the first ride (and finished…), and likewise for the second - so I am struggling a bit as to how many captures where taken during each ride.

But:

• I am surprised to find what appears to be a functioning F10 capture (in terms of both “clean” and HUD captures existence.) I haven’t used F10 for a long time, and it will be interesting to compare your experience to mine (homework for my next ride…)
  • Using the Companion, “clean” image capture eventually stops. This is consistent with what I see on my side - and in that respect, it is a Zwift bug shared by more than a single user. :slight_smile:

I’ll get better file listing to you 2moro.

:+1:

Hope to add my finding as well by then.

Thanks!

A slight correction to what I said above - the 30 pics using F10 was actually 20 pics using F10. I counted older pics I think even though I swear I saw 30 added (shouldnt drink and ride eh … :upside_down_face: :crazy_face:). It wont go over 20 using F10 but what I did do was pressed the pic button on CA to see if I could get another photo, and I could, but only 1 image added, and not a clean version of that one either. All legible too and uploaded to Strava. 3.8 km Ride Activity on August 18, 2020 by Dean H. on Strava

So here’s the re-test from today validating that.

Here is the Companion App pics list from last night - should be more legible.

Let me know if you want anything else or need any more testing done.

Thanks so much, @_Dean!

Your image capture experience closely resembles mine. Now we have (at least…) two Zwifter having the same issue (here goes “issue limited to a single user” out of windows…)

I see images were uploaded to Strava, so apparently you did not experience the image upload issue.

I did another ride yesterday, and it ended (again) with no images presented to upload. So, against my better judgment, I’ve applied a couple of updates to my system. Hopefully, this will have a positive effect… we’ll have to wait for the next ride to see.

Thanks, much appreciated!

1 Like

Thanks, Zwift, for the support! … ever since the latest update, Zwift will no longer present or upload images… :frowning:

Fellow Zwifters: If you care to help, please post your screen capture experience of using F10 30 times during a ride (see @_Dean’s post above…)

Thanks!

Hi,
I am afraid I cannot help you, just my experience:

• Zwift running on PC, Win 10, last updates, the same for GPU GTX 1650 (always checking for updates before riding)
  • bridging with Companion App, HTC U11, Android 9, also fully updated (has ANT+, too - tested shortly, no problems, but did not try to make no images)
  • Pictures taking with ZCA (is on my handlebars; PC keyboard not accessible when biking)
  • 20 (sometimes 19 ?!?) pictures clean & with HUD; with HUD two images (I always manually delete one after the ride). Next images with HUD only, just one image
  • 20 clean+HUD images limit per ride (for example warm up in Watopia, after the warm up joining an event - for both 20 clean+HUD" images possible
  • had never problems with image upload
  • after zwifting 2 winters I am level 29, 5993 kms - had the problem with Activity in progress not properly uploading to Zwift twice, but every time I could upload to Strava and TP manually.

As stated no help for you here, just FYI - my PC is 8 years old, Intel i7-6700 CPU @ 3.40 GHz, 16 GB RAM, GTX 1650 upgrade made after 1st winter (15-25 FPS with the old GT…, do not know anymore - perhaps 670? - but also with the old GPU no problems with images).

I have just 128 GB SSD - it is enough, but not to much - so I always move the pictures (and other data in my Documents etc.) to a HDD. Have 16 GB free on the SSD.

1 Like

I would say you did help… :slight_smile:

Even though your image count only barley meets the minimum (it terms of the issue’s typical manifestation) - your description indicated you are indeed experiencing the “limited number of clean image captures” issue.

As for the image upload, indeed, your experience differs from mine - but the data point you provide is helpful (for example, we use a similar graphics card…)

Thanks much, mate! Ride On!

Guess what gang? I asked, and it’s confirmed that there is an upload limit of 20 images.
Most folks will be fine with that, while a few will want more. We’d like to know how often you’d want to save more than 20. Can you describe for us why we should lift that limit?

3 Likes

With all the events featuring pro riders, new meetup race functions, increased users since most local clubs aren’t doing group rides i can see why some want to take more than 20 pics. Especially with the ride with a pro events, trying to get that perfect picture of your avatar next to the pro can be a challenge.

1 Like

How often? every ride.

However, I fail to see the relation between upload limit and the number/type of images captured.

Surly, there needs to be a upload limit. That limit is currently 5, not 20 (one cannot select more than 5 images using the upload screen.) Seems 20 (I don’t really know - I am no longer being presented with any images from which to select…) is the upper limit on the number of images from which the user can select to upload, or the upper limit of the number of images to be presented to the user at end of ride (these two are not identical issues.)

Why link the number of image captures to this functionality is beyond me… (actually, I suspect it is linked to some static memory set aside for image thumbnails - and if that is the case, than that incorrect upper limit assumption has brought us here…) Let the user browse 100 images, if that is the number of images taken. There is really no reason for this “feature” to have existed in the first place.

The reason for taking a large (let’s say >20 is “large”), is, as I stated elsewhere a long time ago is:

Basically, one wants to select the best and most interesting image to use. The more images taken the better one’s chance of finding those “best” (subjectively…) images.

There is also the “small” issue of blank (white rectangle image placeholder) image upload presentation, linked (somehow, maybe) to the number of captures taken: as long as this “feature” exists, it is exceedingly difficult to gauge whether these two issues are linked (my guess: yes.)

This limit, vehemently denied by Zwift support for such a long time, is also one of the most poorly documented Zwift features, which your acknowledgment of finally conforms. However, confirmation is not documentation.

The question (to me…) is not “why drop” bur rather, “why keep”. It was a mistake - fix it. I propose Zwift drops this “feature” altogether, the sooner the better. If you do decide to keep it, document it and make sure to understand the side effects - and document them (like: “No images will be presented to upload if more than 20 are taken during a ride”) as well.

Keeping this mis-feature leads me to consider alternative, external, screen capture solutions. Surely, Zwit does not need a third wheel…

1 Like

How strange… another ride, this time 40 images, thumbnails presented - and a perfect upload experience.

And, of course, 20 “clean” images only (as per the built-in limit would allow.)

Another ride, 43 images. No uploaded thumbnail presented.

Seems totally random…

I tested this the other day, took 34 or 37 images, can’t remember exactly. I was presented with some image thumbnails to upload, but not all of them I think? I used the ZCA to take all the pictures.

Thanks…

There are actually two issues, which I feel are related, the second of which hasn’t been acknowledged by Zwift:

1. An upper limit of around 20 “clean” image captured (confirmed)
  2. Blank images presented at the end of the ride.

Seems you haven’t experienced (2)… Have you noticed anything about the “clean” images count wrt the overall images?

Many thanks!

The images on my phone are all full HUD, no clean ones. The images that saved on my desktop that runs the game only have 3 clean images and their duplicates with the full HUD. I assume these are the ones I uploaded.

Guess what?

You did a ride of Four Horseman and Uber pretzel and took photos of the badges?

:slight_smile:

Some updates:

Starting October, I no longer experience the blank image issue. 4 rides - all OK (number of images taken was 14, 30, 16 and 25).

I did update the graphics driver about a week ago, but the issue has not manifested itself even before the update, so that could not have possibly been the “solution”.

So… here are some questions (@Shuji_Sakai ?) :

• Has Zwift fixed the issue?
  • Has there been a note somewhere about it?
  • Would there have been one had it been fixed?
  • Would anyone know if someone with Zwift fixed it?
  • Is it still there?
  • If a tree falls in a forest and no one is around to hear it, does it make a sound?

(more than two years and still going?)