Elite smart trainers calibration

(Jan Novak) #1

Elite smart trainers have some internal calibration parameters (P1, P2, P3).

Are those used by Zwift as well, i.e. are power values read by Zwift affected by those magic values (as I was not able to fully figure out what they mean) or does Zwift read some ‘raw data’ from ANT (whatever they may be) and has its own internal power curve for each supported trainer?

I want to find out if I should try to tweak these values if I’m not happy with my power readings. Just for sure - I understand this has nothing to do with my virtual speed which is calculated from power.

(Niels Cornelisse) #2

I think raw data, but i’m not happy with the reading so far, too high in my expectations.

(Jan Novak) #3

Same here. But if it’s raw data, then it makes no sense to adjust P1/P2/P3 and the only way how to get more realistic numbers is to increase my weight (I mean virtually in Zwift only).
I really can’t do 35km/h average on the road (no need to steer, no cars, etc still doesn’t explain the difference) - so Zwift is somehow spoiling my Strava stats.

So would be great to hear from Zwift what’s the recommeded solution/workaround.

(Niels Cornelisse) #4

you can move the trainer slider in the settings screen to the right, that’s the only way to adjust the difficulty

(Jan Novak) #5

Thanks, I’ll give it a try, but this slider label says “scale the feel of gradient changes”, so it sounds like related to gradient changes only. Actually my speed on climbs is roughly ok - I’m only ‘flying’ on flat roads. I mean - to ride 40km/h outdoors is pretty fast and I need to work, but it’s quite easy for me in Zwift.

(Jan Novak) #6

ok - my working theory is that Zwift really takes some ‘raw data’ from Elite trainers, changing calibration parameters P1-P3 doesn’t seem to change my virtual speed at given watts.

Not sure however if 140W (for my 81kg) would really give me 32km/h on flat road outdoors. Something slightly below 30km/h would correspond more to my experience. 

btw: increasing weight is not an option - makes me faster downhill.

(Per Erlend Hasvold) #7

I experience the same issue. I am able to maintain 40-45 km/h in Zwift, and that is not realistic. I have an Elite Qubo Digital B+ and I run through an ANT+ dongle on a MacBook Air, selecting the ANT+ FE-C interface for power and control. I usually run an ANT+ HR-monitor directly through the ANT+ interface, or a Polar HR monitor, pluss a Polar Bluetooth Cadence sensor through the Zwift app. I have the slider all the way to the max. That helped give a little more realistic feel, but now it seems way too easy again.

(Thomas LK) #8

It would be great, if Zwift could give a statement about these calibration values that stick on my Real Trainer. How do they influence the power,i.e. the difference between the real power and the measured one…

(Michal Wozniak TeamPL) #9

This question should be adressed to Elite not Zwift. Zwift just takes raw ant+ power data from your device and have nothing to do with its accuracy.

(X BugsBunny) #10

The calibration procedure is the following:

Download CalibrationToolFEC from this link: http://www.elite-it.info/Assistenza/CalibrationToolFEC.zip
Run it on the PC with the USB Dongle plugged on the PC
Click on Connetti and wait for the connection
Click on P1, P2 e P3 to find out the calibration points (reach the suggestd speed and read the power on your power meter)
Close CalibrationToolFEC

Then:
Download RealTrainerCalibration from this link: http://tiny.cc/hrpi8x
Run it on the PC with the USB Dongle plugged on the PC
Insert the serial number of your trainer
Select Qubo Digital Smart B+
Click on START
Insert the 3 calibration points that you have previously found
Wait (about 11 minutes) the upload of data
Close RealTrainerCalibration
Power off and then power on again the trainer

(Kevin de Lacy) #11

I just spoke with Zwift’s excellent help line. There is no way to calibrate the Elite Qubo Digital Smart B+ for Zwift. Even if you calibrate using the above instructions, it only counts for the Elite my E-Training app. It’s a pity really, because the unit has a lot going for it otherwise.

Apparently the ball is in Elite’s court to ‘set things right’, as it were, and there is nothing Zwift can do until Elite makes changes (presumably a firmware update or something).

(Fraser Poole) #12

I feel that this would be very easy for zwift to fix. It can’t be too difficult to implement a power offset option surely? These are very popular trainers due to their price it must be worth the development time.

I am in the free trial period and while I like the experience I feel it’s pointless me signing up with 20%+ power readings.

(Yves Leung-Tack) #13

I have the same issue,  the power I see on zwift is too high.

Since calibration of Elite is not useful, how did you guys solve the problem to have a morerealistic power on Zwift ?

Cheers,

(Sven Reupke) #14

this is really disapointing, I have seen a statement that the Qubo digital smart plus is supported but it is useless withing zwift if you are at least 30% faster than realistic.

Thanks, great tool but I am foced to logoff from here permanently

S.

(C Chalou) #15

There must be a way, if we are able to calibrate our trainer to work with real software, Zwift must be able to better calibrate elite trainers. I have a realtour wired and I’m experiencing same problems than others, watts way too high on flat road.

I’m asking Zwift to look at it once more, meanwhile, I’m a comet on flat road…

Hoping for improvement !

(Corey Skalmoski) #16

I have a Real Tour wired and I have the opposite issue. I am peddling at 92 RPM in the middle sprocket on the crank and third from bottom on the cassette and it is only recording as 130watts. I have ridden twice on Zwift and both times I averaged only 122 watts. I have a Powertap hub on the bike I use on the road and I average 196 watts riding outside over 18-20 mile rides. I know Zwift is not correct and it is really disheartening to put in so much work for so little output.

I have calibrated my trainer through the Real app and it had no effect on the Zwift performance. I have submitted a ticket with Zwift since their application does not appear to be calibrated correctly. My trainer is 3 years old and I spent about $500 on it so I am not ready to replace it yet since I have not gotten the money out it.

Hoping Zwift has an answer so that ai can continue my membership as it is a good training tool.

(Simon May) #17

I’m having the same issue but it says I’m pushing 400w when my garmin says 13mph abs Zwift then says 25mph+. The figures are realistic in the Real software. So frustrating! Someone must be able to solve it!

(Andrus Lelov) #18

Similar issue here. Other day I joined an event and couldn’t follow the group even I was on highest gear with cadence 93+ but everybody slipped away(weight 75kg). Everyday average I have 1,4W/kg with speed 32km/h  while everybody passing me like milestone with 2,5W/kg and more. The average speed should be there all the time up to 45km/h and more! And it’s not even race. Is it really true that only Froome and co riding around?

(Justin Di Tommaso) #19

I got a Qubo Digital this week and experiencing similar issues. I had swapped it from a classic Crono Hydro elasto gel with 5 dial resistance dial. I was working great albeit dial up to 4-5 as I have a compact (50x12 largest gear) using Powertap P1 pedals for power and can get a realistic feel in the 200-300w range, similar to being on the road. However i wanted the enhancement of auto resistance when I hit the climbs so ‘upgraded’ to Qubo.

Now I’m literally spinning out on the flat, 125 rpm just to attain approx anything over 200w, something that was fine with the manual resistance dial. I have training difficulty slid across to 100% but makes no difference. I tried a workout on ERG mode, the changes from anything above 200 to 500+ or 800+ are pathetic, literally no chance of pedalling, lots of gear changes by then that interval has finished!

So have raised a ticket, need to send in my files but really disappointed with the Qubo, unless Zwift seeing something obvious I’ll be sending it back, I believe this trainer is badly out in relation to resistance realism!

(Colin Edwards) #20

I used the original ipad Elite app to find the three P values, I was struggling to keep up the 40 km/hr value though, seemed to last forever! the ipad app failed to push the values back to the device AND when the connection failed they reverted to the lower defaults. I’ve seen this “Download RealTrainerCalibration from this link: http://tiny.cc/hrpi8x” and thought that this tool MIGHT work but when used with my Windows PC would not push the values back to the turbo. Sigh. I’m not an Italian speaker but I think the error meant that the connection failed. There goes my Sunday!

In another thread there was a link to a pdf file to update the Qubo Smart B+. This gives a link to the firmware updater (SUCCESS) but then there is a second step to install a WINDOWS version of the Elite software to control it in the future. None of the links offered match the Qubo, they are for other trainers. The firmware updater closes with a link to new software but the hyperlink is empty suggesting that the software is not available for the Qubo. Unsatisfactory does not come close people!

I tried installing the software for a Muin B+ instead hoping that it would “see” the Qubo. It does BUT to use it you need a voucher code or buy the software with a link to Elite. I have an open ticket with Elite to pursue this further, professional pride won’t let me let this go…

Elite document https://elitesrl.zendesk.com/attachments/token/fE6hUWFrVWvwnkoVMSZbD1sbg/?name=Upgrade_procedure_to_ANT+FE-C_eng_2+%282%29.pdf