Do fluid trainers have resistance knob?

(Vaughn Myers) #1

Do fluid trainers have resistance knobs like the regular magnetic trainers?

I have a regular cycleops mag trainer, and my biggest issue is its resistance. It really feels very unnatural, so I’m looking for a trainer that automatically changes the resistance.

(Nigel Doyle) #2

No. The faster you go with a Fluid trainer the resistance increases exponentially. If you want a trainer that automatically changes resistance then a smart trainer is the way to go. I’ve got both, a fluid trainer and a smart trainer. For some workouts the fluid trainer actually works better e.g. short 10 second sprints.

(Vaughn Myers) #3

Thanks.

Compared to a regular mag trainer, would a cycleops fluid trainer help when I’m sprinting at the beginning of the race?

I’m not blaming my mag trainer, but I run “B”, and at the beginning of the races you see a group riding really fast for several minutes. I know they ride faster than I do, but I feel that the trainer is not helping me.

(Gerrie Delport) #4

You can look at this link to see how the power curves differ for different trainers.

what gear ration do you have on your bike?

(Vaughn Myers) #5

I always with ride with the highest gear. With anything lower the watts decrease significantly.