Distance to go counter is still broken on iOS version 1.0.42345

To be honest I think that Bob’s comment is spot on. Zwift’s priorities are IMO not right when prioritizing introduction of Gravel bikes, MTB, steering, new routes, new gear - while some of the basics clearly needs attention.

1 Like

To be fair different team develop different things. Gravel bikes, MTB, new routes, new gear are all just graphical additions this is done by the graphics design team (i don’t know what they are called but that sounded cool). Steering was part of the game before Zwift was Zwift. So that may have been polished for some time now.

The game engine and inner workings is done by a small team that has their hands full.

Gerrie - as an end user, I don’t really want to be fair or be reasonable or having to take into account which development team @ Zwift is loaded or not. I have one perspective on things: My own.
In every single race that I participate in, my user experience is ruined by my lack of ability to time the sprint the way I would like to. You give it all you got for a full hour. Your legs are screaming and you just want see the finishline. How many times have I started the sprint too early because Zwift indicated that finish line is 1000 m away, just to realize that Zwift got it wrong again. At that particular point, you are just completed pissed with Zwift and the fact that the Distance bug still persist. There is no being fair to Zwift. Ther is no understanding for their priorities. It is just pure frustration.
Wednesday is race day again, and we have all learned that distance bug is worse than ever…

Yes zwift should just remove the distance to go, that will save them a lot of effort and no more frustration to the racers.
Then we can look at the distance ridden and calculate how for we still need to go, like we do in real life races.

That requires that you have a reliable “Distance ridden” and “Total race distance” - then I can do the math as I go… but do we have that ?

I think so we have Distance ridden:

and we have event distance:

we also have the strava segments on Zwiftinsider and Zwifthacks

I don’t think that both of those 2 metrix are reliable… but as of right now I lack some fact to back that claim.

Same problem in win 10. Starting a sprint at -600m sign and realize that there are still 1200 m to go is just not nice.

I understand that there are different teams, supported by different IT teams that work on certain aspects on the whole user experience. However, I also agree with others in this thread that it would make more sense to focus on the basics in Zwift-life. Distance to go is such a basic need in a race that it is mind-boggling that this isn’t fixed yet. You are making a comparison with real life, but in a normal race you would also see a banner with 1k/5k to go.

I am beginning to think that Zwift has serious legacy issues regarding to their software development, that it is extremely difficult to fix/add new features without making significant changes. And that is quite worrying if that is the case.

1 Like

Trust me I want this fixed just as much as you do, and I think Zwift HQ want to have it fixed even more so that they can focus on other fun stuff. Unfortunately you can only throw so many hands on a issue. It is not like we are building a house where adding more people speed up the process, and even then you get to a point where more people does not make things go faster.

If one person can build a house in a year, then 1000 people can’t build a house in 8 hours.

If the finish is on a straight road.
We have raced these races and roads many times, we have a map in the top right, we know by now where the finish is. Races almost always end at a banner either KOM or finish banner.

When it takes multiple months to create a “distance to go” counter, which should be nothing more then a simple HUD customization, then there are serious issues with the software in the first place. It is either that, or it is not a priority for the HQ.

To stay in the house-building comparison:

This should be nothing more then fixing a window, but it feels like the whole foundation needs to be renewed.

1 Like

How about race organizers try helping us until this gets fixed by zwift? Race organizers can clearly identify where the final banner will be on the route, within the race description. For instance, in The P Race where the zwiftinsider got hosed, the race description should have stated that the finish banner was the desert sprint banner.

HUD has nothing to do with it, the HUD already have the fields set fo distance to go. It has to do with the calculating the distance to go. And I don’t know how Zwift calculate distance to go or distance traveled.

The race description stated Watopia Waistband (2 Laps)

Here are the Strava segment. Watopia's Waistband | Strava Virtual Ride Segment in Temotu Province, Solomon Islands

Yes it says waistband route. I am saying to add next to that “Final banner at the fuego flats sprint banner”. Just because some people spend hours reading zwift blogs and studying route descriptions, doesn’t mean everyone does or has the time to do that. Just add it right there without requiring someone to comb through multiple websites to piece the puzzle together. Pretty simple fix if you ask me. Not sure why you must shoot down every idea someone proposes.

I’m not shooting down the idea, I am just pointing out that the information is available. Putting the burden on the race organizer is just opening another possibility of errors to occur.

Your own evidence points to zwiftinsider as the solution. The guy who runs that site wrote an entire article about how he got hosed by this bug.

Yes I know, and Eric also wrote the route description. So he should have know, but as he said at the end of a race you just don’t have the brain functions to think about all these things.

We need to get the distance to go fixed. But we also have to understand that it is challenging and for now we have to check the routes until it is fixed.

It is good practice to always check the route before a race.

1 Like

All - the December 13 update fixed the distance bug for MacOS / Windows / Apple TV.
The iOS version is still pending approval by Apple, but should be released imminently.

See this Game Update note thread.