Dehumidifiers?

Has anyone tried a dehumidifier in their ‘pain cave’ to help with the sweating issue? I have zero idea if this would actually work, but it seems that pulling some additional moisture from the surrounding air might help give the sweat created during a ride more ‘space’ into which to evaporate. I know from riding outside in both humid and dry climates that one can often end a ride in a humid place soaked to the bone (a la Zwift in the basement), whereas in a dry climate this does not happen. I’m curious on this one because I am generally dripping when I complete my Zwift rides.

Yes. Would definitely help. But you would be better off with a AC which dehumidifies as a side effect.

1 Like

Hi Nigel,

I do run a dehumidifier in my basement in the summer months to keep the basement dry. It does help with the amount of sweat, your body will be able to sweat more efficiently in a dry climate then in humid conditions.

A humidifier will dry out the air but it will also raise the temperature of the room.

If it is a above ground room (not a basement) then a air-con will be a better option as it will dry out the room and cool it down.

Hi Nigel,
I also use a dehumidifier. I was really surprised how much moisture it collects. I use it whilst I’m riding and leave it on for a while, after I have finished. I think it may also chill the room a bit, but I’m not sure.
I thought it would be good idea to take out some moisture from the air to avoid breathing it in as I train, as well as to avoid a problem with damp. The brand I use is Meaco. I have tried others and found them not as good.

@_Troy

I would think it is better to have the dehumidifier running before you start riding, it take some time to get the air dry. We don’t add a lot of moisture to the air by sweating.

Any recommendations on a size needed? My basement is about 600 sf, I think. I don’t think I’ll buy anything until after the virus stuff settles down, as I don’t want to burden the delivery system any more than it already is, so no rush on responses.

Jeffrey,

I go this one Frigidaire High 70 Pints-Per-Day Portable Dehumidifier

It work well in my basement that is a bit bigger than yours. One thing that it does not have that you might want is a pump to get rid of the water instead of manually emptying the bucket. I have a separate pump from my old dehumidifier so I did not need one but it is handy. Also if you dont have a drain in the basement then the bucket if fine.

I empty the 70 pint bucket once a day in the summer.

Hope this helped

Hi Gerrie,
I do put it on before I start, but I may not have made that clear. Mind you only for about 10 mins. How long do you suggest?
Mine also has a LED humidity reading. It definitely goes up as I workout.

@_Troy it depend on the size and the humidity level of your room.

I set mine to 65% and leave it on auto the whole summer that way the basement is always at 65%. I would like to keep it lower but then it run the whole time and that cost $$.

Yes mine also goes up while I train, but I think that is a combination of all the fans and added heat. But I can be wrong.

Hey everyone, I would like to buy now a dehumidifier. Do you have some updates? Please share your experience!

Spamtastic!

1 Like

The size of the dehumidifier is very important. You have to take care of its power.

We’ve always used a dehumidifier in the basement in the summer, even before using Zwift, and we just leave it running all the time on an auto setting. It totally transforms the space in terms of reducing humidity. That said, as Gerrie mentioned, it also creates some heat in the room. We have ours set up to trickle-drain into an unused bathroom toilet, just so that we don’t have to repeatedly empty the bucket (which would otherwise need to occur about 1.5x daily).

I have a cool unheated outdoor garden room for training which will be similar to a basement/garage. I use a 10 litre dessicant dehumidifier which is better at removing moisture at lower temperatures. I also set mine at 65% and it kicks in and out when needed. Thoroughly recommend one and it does a great job in the Yorkshire climate. Obviously not so good if you are hotter climbs where a standard dehumidifier is best.

Sorry, should have said ‘hotter climes’!

Might also be true for hotter climbs, though :wink:

Sure you add moisture to the air by sweating. That the whole point of sweating.
Yesterday the moisture went up by 20% in my training room wird a small window opened while zwifting for 2 hours. It went down 20% again 30 minutes after training has ended.

Are you serious?!

1 Like

Yes I don’t see a increase in humidity, but it can be because I am in a 1100 sqft basement. I may be different in a small room.

I do and I think it is very natural that you do. Either you are not sweating that much or you are having good ventilation.