debbie

(debbie zuckerman CT LAB) #1

just installed swift, yeah. tried to work it off my old computrainer 8002. Seems that it is not reading it, is this machine comparable with the zwift? Have my garmin ANT connecting the two. Sorry but I am a real newbie at this

(Y ohans) #2

Everything you need to know is in here.  

https://support.zwift.com/hc/en-us/articles/204002479–Setting-up-a-Computrainer 

To emphasise; The FTDI adaptor is key to making this work.

You don’t need ANT+ as the computrainer is wired to the computer with the FTDI adaptor, unless you want to use non-computrainer sensors for heart rate and cadence. Then you can use ANT+ or Bluetooth. 

Get that adaptor working first.

(debbie zuckerman CT LAB) #3

it also suggest that I update the chip in my computrainer since I have the  one of the first generations of computrainers. Can you tell me what a FTDI adaptor is, sorry

(Y ohans) #4

Ah, ok so you have a really old one. I missed that. My knowledge of CT doesn’t extend to the very early models.

Only thing I can suggest is to contact Racemate directly to help you with the chip upgrade and FTDI adaptor which you need to connect to any modern computer, Mac or PC.

Hope this helps.

(debbie zuckerman CT LAB) #5

thanks for your help, think I need to install that new chip, wonder if I will need the FTDI adaptor also, will ask Racemate.

(Y ohans) #6

You definitely need the adaptor to connect the CT to a computer that Zwift will work on.

Let us know how you go with the upgrade.

(Y ohans) #7

One more thing to mention. You do not need any new software from Racermate/Computrainer. 

Zwift has everything you need from a s/w perspective.

(debbie zuckerman CT LAB) #8

were can I get the FTDI adaptor

(L Read) #9

This is the one I use-  http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BUZ0K68?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_search_detailpage

(debbie zuckerman CT LAB) #10

got the FTDI adapter for rip off price of $80, and hoping it is the correct one, where do i install it. Hope you are not getting to frustrated with me, LOL

(Y ohans) #11

It’s thing that connects the head unit to your computer. There’s a long thing cable, like a headphone cord that runs from the head unit. It goes into the FTDI adaptor and the adaptor connects to a usb port on your computer.

It’s the thing on the right hand side of the computer in this youtube video, just where the screwdriver is pointing. https://youtu.be/fNicp-RUAXA?t=464

I suggest you watch the entire video.

Good luck.

BTW: your adaptor might look a little different to the one in the video.

(L Read) #12

Debbie, you must have gotten the 14K gold version, LOL. 

The computrainer should have a cord that has a 3.5mm stereo plug on one end (looks like a headphone plug) and a serial port plug on the other (looks similar to a vga monitor plug).  The stereo plug goes into the handlebar controller (hole labeled ext pc), and the the serial plug goes into the FTDI adapter.  The other end of the FTDI adapter plugs into your home computer’s usb port. 

If your computrainer is very old and does not have this stereo to serial cord, you will need to get one. There are 2 versions of this stereo to serial cord and only one will work.  If your handlebar controller is very old (pre 8000 series), it may not work with a pc at all. In this case, you will need a new handlebar controller also.