Dear Zwift, You're not listening

It’s event only due to its size (like Crit City)

yeah, i was wondering if there was anything like the meet up/workout hack to get to ride it.

It’s a shame, I literally never ride those two worlds as a result

There’s sometimes some group rides: Events

Also just because it’s a race doesn’t mean you have to race it - you could just turn up and do it at your own pace.

1 Like

It is more that i’m not good at zwifiting at a specific time, i kinda have to zwift when i have to not when an event is. It is definitely a me problem not a zwift problem!

3 Likes

Firstly Bologna is a dreadful half cracked zwift world, so for this instance I’ll agree with you, but when you look at climbier options in the real offerings such as Watopia and London, well let’s just say that the sprinters get their hay day 95% of the time in Zwift. It’s not terrible to have 5% (or less) chance that the event will be exciting enough that it’s not just another group sprint after rolling around for 30 minutes. Only someone from a pancake region, my like my Ohio homeland, or maybe Florida would consider a sub-1 minute bump like the leg snapper in Innsbruck to make a race be considered “hilly”. That is a sprinters course, maybe not a 250kg sprinter but any rider that would have the phenotype to call themselves a sprinter should be able to put out enough power to get over the leg snapper or maybe even the 60-70 second Libby hill, or 90 second Zwift KOM. They are hills that you have to climb but they aren’t really “climbs”. The Volcano, Epic KOM, the fake glass roads in NYC, and the rural parts of Innsbruck and London have the “Climbs”.

Which is a right shame due to the IRL nature of the town. Some great climbs on one side and sprinting playground on the other. With the beach not too far away.

brother, i agree with your sentiment but i need a two minute gap at the top of innsbruck if i want to still be ahead of the peloton at the bottom of the descent. i needed thirty seconds just to stay away from 5 B riders after the petit kom on casse pattes and that KOM is 4:40~ long and the course finishes on the descent.

it’s not the climbs that are the problem, it’s that it’s so easy to get back on after them that there is no point in forcing the pace too high. its a question of zwift physics

1 Like

The accuracy and reality of Zwift physics are a different discussion entirely, but let’s say if you compare IRL and Zwift dynamics, there is plenty of room for improvements here.

Imagine the outcry if they do change it and all the people who use to win everything don’y do so anymore. If they do implement braking on corners I expect poor James will be facing pitchforks from the heavy brigade.

1 Like

Please Zwift, implement this I implore you :pray: :+1:

2 Likes

Zwift already auto brakes in a couple corners but let it be Zwift, RGT or other, I have yet to find an auto braking that doesn’t correct a disconnect between the rider and the platform. It’s a sensation that Zwift and virtual platforms can’t recreate as it evident be people continuously smashing the pedals with little regard for the corner or the auto brake system. Also you might naturally brake harder, later and more aggressive than me, so where does the line get drawn for a “realistic feel”? IRL example. This year at Athens Twilight Criterium, I could put a couple bike lengths into the Legion of LA train by simply out braking them into a slightly sketchy downhill corner. I was going full tilt through there but they were a bit more conservative to make sure their whole team made it through each lap. There were a few laps were I heard the crowd on the sidewalk express various emotions as they didn’t think I would keep it upright, none of that experience, fear, adrenaline, oh $hit moments, etc. are conveyed in virtual cycling at the moment. Same thought process for downhills. Where I would feel comfortable sitting on the top tube and tucking in, most folks will probably be dragging their brakes. Skill, risk tolerance, and closed roads are what make truly fast descents possible IRL racing. Remove the skill and the risk tolerance, and you’ll never have fear stopping people from ripping descents like Julian Alaphilippe, Sagan, Nibali, etc.

3 Likes

I do find on RGT you do learn to back off and then accelerate out of the corner a little bit more like in real life, although obviosuly without some VR Cave system you’re never going to really simulate RL cornering feel (to me MTBs on Zwift seem a bit pointless too as it loses the whole skill part).

OT, but as a matter of interest do you find Disk brakes make a difference in late braking - assuming you’re using disk (I’m still on rim brakes myself).

I’m still on rim brakes. Disc is a game changer in the wet and mud but there has only been one time in the dry that I was I was being out braked by nearly everyone on disc brakes. That was the recent ACC Mass Ave. Crit. I lapped the field with a group that started out at 13 riders but I was sliding all over the place in the two very tight corners, especially the final 3rd corner. I don’t know if it was the slick potentially oily road, their disc brakes, the 28mm+ tires, or a combination of all the above but it was the first time the braking control really made me think about upgrading when available.

1 Like

I’m sure plenty will hate it some will love it. I wonder if it could be set as an option to configure per event might work better.

I remember when they first made gravel slower and people got very mad!
Changing new stuff is fine, retrospectively changing old stuff is less good.

1 Like

If? They’ve already announced it.

1 Like

sounds fine. it will probably go a long way to fixing pack speeds on descents without making it harder for lighter people to stay in the draft if they do remain in the peloton

Where did you see that Dave?

https://support.zwift.com/en_us/this-season-on-zwift-faq-rJXEpTz1j

2 Likes

but it’s not really braking on corners like you would in a crit. but it should help with the downhills but we’ll all have to wait and see what sort of incline and bends it takes effect on.