Custom routes from the real worlds

Hi everyone, I assume this has been asked for already, but cant find anything just on a quick search.

Now I don’t have strava or training peaks or anything and I haven’t rode the route I want yet, it’s something to train to as I improve. I have an iPad for Zwift (which might be a problem, might not) but basically I would like to be able to in some way download real world routes which aren’t already in Zwift, and simply I don’t think I have the know how to enter them manually as a workout, plus like I mentioned I haven’t rode the route so I have no data to compile the route.

I don’t know if anyone has created this as a workout yet because its a popular UK route, but basically the route is the Coast to Coast route from Whitehaven to Tynemouth, preferably split over 3 days (I know I’m asking for a lot) but I’m sure people could then use this to train up for the Coast to Coast, and easily pause it when you need to stop for dinner (or have an energy bar, or an energetic drink) but yeah sorry if this has been posted already, but I’m sure people would love a library of custom routes to download into Zwift, or have these in Zwift already?

The routes/worlds in Zwift are what they are. There seem to be new roads and worlds added with some regularity, but if it’s not in Zwift you can’t ride it in Zwift. That being said, there are a lot of roads/routes/worlds available, so hopefully you can find something that meets your needs.

1 Like

I think this is what the OP is trying to do, but he doesn’t have the gpx file for the actual route.

Ok no problem thanks, so where would I find all this content? Is it in workouts or something? Apologies I’m new to Zwift!

Is this the route you are looking to recreate?

Yeah I think there’s different routes but I assume any route would suffice for training purposes

I’m no coach, but I would think that for such a large route and if you are going to ride it over a few days in real life, then just focus on finding a workout that has a good mix of zone 2 (endurance) and zone 3 (tempo) segments. Like this one:

Sure, having a workout in Zwift that mimics the difficulty of a IRL route is a completely different beast than actually having the route itself in Zwift. I’ve never converted a real-world route to a Zwift workout, but I would guess that difficulty lies in how you plan to ride the route. In theory you could ride the entire route at the same power output, just really slowing down on the hills and hammering it on the descents, or you could hammer all the hill and just coast down the descents. So I’m not really sure how to translate this to a Zwift workout.

1 Like

Yeah I found that on google, just seems hard to construct because I’m just a beginner

Thanks for the knowledge, I’m just trying to find the beat way

I just tried for the first time using a IRL ride that I did a few weekends ago on a mountain bike trail. It seems as though it takes into account your actual efforts you made while on the route based on speed and elevation (I think). So if you were going super easy and not pushing hard on the hills it might just look like a zone 2 ride. Doesn’t really seem that helpful for training, unless you know you want to recreate the exact same effort you made outside.

I personally don’t see any advantage to train on a race specific route. If the race has a lot of climbs then you train for climbs if it is flat then you train for endurance.

@Mike_Rowe_PBR has some good advice.

Using the gpx to zwift your workout will look like this you can break it up into smaller pieces, but I don’t think that will that meaning full.
(Convert GPX file to Zwift workout | What's on Zwift?)

1 Like

Hi Mike, if you just use the gps track it will create a workout based on required effort to maintain a given effort level.

1 Like

Hmm good to know thanks