Crashes with AMD Radeon graphics [MERGED] [SOLVED]

Damn, I was hoping that wasn’t the case and it would be an easy fix!

Cheers for the reply though.

You could try experimenting with different versions of the drivers. But I don’t think that anyone else has found a reliable workaround yet. You’ll find plenty of other threads on this, e.g. [October 2021] Zwift crashes with new AMD display drivers

1 Like

Wish I’d kept my old Nvidia gaming PC now… I’ll just cancel and go on RGT/ Wahoo, works fine on that.

Weird thing is, it seems to be something in relation to rendering desert graphics… I only crash when I get a glimpse of sand/ Fugit location… Runs fine on all guest world’s. Very odd!

Definitely a rendering engine/ OpenGl issue.

That seems to be what many others are reporting too. Hopefully that might make it easier for Zwift to figure out what’s going on and come up with a workaround or fix.

2 Likes

Hi @Oliver_Hammonds welcome to Zwift forums.

Shuji at Zwift HQ here. Since you sound pretty hardware-savvy, can I ask for more details about this?

1. What Zwift world / route were you in when this freeze happened?
  2. Are you able to reproduce in a different world / route?

Would you be wiling to send us the most recent game log from the hung session? Sounds like you know where to locate it already, but just in case here’s how.

• Please contact my colleagues for one-on-one assistance and email us that log. We do this via email because text files can’t be uploaded to this forum due to malware risks.
  • Lastly - so that we know the details of the GPU hardware and all the relevant driver versions installed - please run DirectX diagnostics and send us the info it saves out. Do that by:
  • Type “dxdiag” in your Windows search bar
  • When the DirectX diagnostic tool comes up (might take a minute), hit “Save all information”

For anyone else reading along - running the dxdiag app will tell you the details of what GPU you have in your PC, as well as details of the graphics drivers installed, etc. Knowing this is the first step in triaging issues if the root cause is a driver conflict. It will help you and Zwift Support to have this information.

1 Like

Evening,

I’ll get this sorted tomorrow and reply in full/ send all the information I have over.

Cheers for reply,

Olly

Hey Zwift, love the engagement here, but you have known about this issue with AMD GPU’s since October 2021 and have done zero. I’ve done the “private email” with you all the logs, all the drivers, even went back to Win10 and nothing. Check out the gem response I got from Zwift after all the time spend beta testing 10+ AMD drivers for you with no sucess.

What a piece of crap response from Zwift on this topic…
This is direct copy and paste from Zwift.

Sometimes known issues won’t come up for a while, part of the reason that the issues that are still happening aren’t fixed is because we’re still figuring out exactly what causes it and how to fix it. It’s not specific to the new update, and has been around for a while, but it seems like the new update triggered the issue to flare up for you specifically. We don’t have an estimated timeline on when there will be a fix because it’s impossible to estimate, unfortunately bug fixes aren’t that simple, when it’s fixed depends on when our dev team figures out how to fix it. Programming is complex, and with a multitude of other improvements and additions to Zwift to develop it’s not something we have a concrete timeframe on when this specific issue will be fixed.

Ok, so in short. AMD users you are on your own. We don’t care about stabilizing the software because programming is hard and we have big ideas before we go fixing bugs

canceled as of today

1 Like

Hey everyone - I combined several long-standing threads about game crashes on AMD graphics systems into this one. Sorry for the messed up timelines and the likelihood that different AMD-related issues are now jumbled into this one thread, however…

We are rolling out a fix for AMD graphics issues early next week that we think will address many of the crashes affecting you. I’ll update again when that patch is live.

4 Likes

Good news. Is there any background on what has caused these issues, and whether fixing it will have an impact on any other hardware configurations?

Hey everyone - with Zwift game version 1.26.1 released today, we addressed graphics bugs which could cause certain AMD CPU/GPU combinations to hang.

Before this patch, using certain older versions of AMD graphics drivers had limited degrees of success to work around this bug. Version 1.26.1 should make those workarounds unnecessary. Please update your game version at your earliest convenience. Thanks for your patience while we addressed this complicated bug.

If you continue to experience this bug on your Windows computer, please respond in this thread with the following information about your PC:

• Type “dxdiag” in your Windows search bar

Image 001

• When the DirectX diagnostic tool comes up (might take a minute), screenshot the Display tab(s) and post it in this thread please.
2 Likes

Have done a few rides on the latest update without any issues (3-4hours each), have not cranked up the resolution/details though, will do on the next ride. Carefully optimistic, well done!

4 Likes

hi!

cannot find a solution… even the official support-page did not help

since the last update, zwift is loading (versy slowly), the ist crashes. made no changes befor updating.

strong text

sorry,this is the right attachment…

Looks like your system had a problem loading the AMD driver for your GPU and reverted to the Microsoft basic driver. Try reinstalling it, or try a different driver. Manufacturer’s driver is here:

https://www.asus.com/us/SupportOnly/X521IA/HelpDesk_Download/

2 Likes

OK, seems to be fixed. Took you only almost one year to find a solution. In this time you took my 15€ every month and I could not ride Watopia, partcipate certain races, etc. My fault report I raised was anwered with log request and in the end answered: “Can be everything! Most probably a system issue on your side.” Do you plan to compensate me for the limitied services you provided in the last year to AMD users? I have to say that your customer support is really bad and I ask you to consider a compensation for your long time customers who sufferred from this long lasting issue.

3 Likes

Well, I was a victim of the AMD issues for years. Was just about done with Zwift in May but then they somehow fixed the most brazen freezing issues. I still suspended my account for the summer. Now I came back, and I find a fun new problem. There’s this fuzzy line that’s just ahead of my avatar. It maintains the same distance except it changes orientation based on my direction. It seems to be associated with the location of the “sun”. So the line pivots as I’m going around bends, just as my shadow does. In a night scene or tunnel, no line. These pics should show it. Yea, all drivers and everything up to date. Windows 10. Clean install and machine is dedicated to just Zwift. Yada, Yada.

Which GPU and driver version are you using?

RX6700XT. Most up to date there are using the Radeon front end.

That line thing has come and gone for years on AMD. I’ve posted in your other thread.