Consistency and Rest

(Madeleine Kraus) #1

I love the way gaming is woven into Zwift concept for training and social riding across time zones - the unlocking achievements plays on the competitive and self-competitive edge we all have.

But I also am a firm believer in the importance of recovery as a critical element of productive training, and … well, I’ve noticed that one would have to skip a weekly recovery day in order to win the laps-7-days-in-a-row badge and go against the coach twice in a two week period in order to get the 14 day badge. Not to mention also take into consideration the time zone difference between Richmond and Watopia so as not to ride before work in Richmond on one day and then in the afternoon on Watopia the next (which would look like a skipped day because of the way the Strava time stamping occurs, yes?)

It seems to me that one can show a very solid loyalty to Zwift while abiding by solid tenets of training even if it was only 9 out of 10 days, don’t you think?

Just wondering how others think about it … 

Madeleine Kraus

(Stef Levolger) #2

Recovery doesn’t mean you can’t ride. A 30 - 60 minute spin in Z1 is a good form of recovery as well.

The timezone problem with Zwift however is annoying, and something which thus far has always screwed over my attempts to go for the 7 and 14 day badge.

(Madeleine Kraus) #3

I agree in principle with the idea that a 30 minute Z1 spin allows for recovery, though in reality, I do better with recovery on the yoga mat. One of the drawbacks of being a masters rider, I guess. 

(DB Smith (65+)) #4

I agree, emphatically, with OP: encouraging 99% of Zwifters to ride for 7, 14 or more days without a rest day is very poor goal setting. 

This isn’t the TDF (and most of us aren’t cycling pros) where a “rest day” means riding ‘only’ 2-3 hours instead of 6!

And, speaking for myself, I really don’t want to get all kitted out for a ride just to ‘spin gently for 30 minutes’!

I’m surprised that Zwift doesn’t take a more responsible approach; giving awards that encourage the taking of rest days IS responsible.

(David Hennessy) #5

Pfft. seriously. what, you’re saying that Zwift has to be our training nanny now? These are challenges - yes, many of them are  indeed going to stretch and CHALLENGE you. the 100mile effort is tough, so can the 14 day effort. don’t put it on Zwift and say their are not more responsible because they set a challenge. Are you saying that the folks who put on a 2 week event elsewhere are also irresponsible. Just flipping silly. The person doing the challenge is the one responsible!

Whole thread is silly. Let riders take responsibility for themselves and let Zwift do what it is doing so well - allowing riders to ride at any time, anywhere and in any weather - in saftety and indoors wiht pleasure

Ridiculous

(DB Smith (65+)) #6

@David Hennessy  

Thanks for your 2¢.

BTW, most people who express opinions here try to be tactful; most are actually polite.

(Madeleine Kraus) #7

Hi David, 

I don’t know what a Training Nanny is. We do not have them in my country. My only desire was to make an observation - that the “Addicted” 7 Day Achievement Badge was one that I, after almost 5000km and 150+ hours of Zwifting, might merit. Except for the fact that I follow the advice of coaches like Joe Friel and Hunter Allen … to have recovery built in to each week. Its how I stay, er, an habitual rider. 

I am sorry you “find the whole thread silly”. Certainly when I said “Just wondering how others think about it” I did invite input … but … may I say that that comment, along with the fart with which you started your note might be something to keep to yourself. They are unconstructive, to say the least.

As ever, 
Madeleine

(Duane Gran [Vision]) #8

I think the key is to treat it as a one time challenge.  Zwift isn’t creating a bad incentive to ride for 7 or 14 days straight at least once.  I also agree with others that you can get good recovery doing a light ride and much of the research suggests that it is more effective than not riding at all.

(Kermit deFrog ( PAC )) #9

I have done the 7 days challenge and I just have done the 14 days challenge.

I have done every day between 60km - 80km and at the very last day 202km (as it happened).

Given that all one need to do to finish the challenge is 1 lap a day, I guess it was more than required. Sure, my effort may be peanuts to what other riders can do but that is a different matter.

If somebody believes that they have to stick rigidly to a particular belief  in their training than, I would suggest, they cannot do the challenge.

I think it is wrong to make everyone else to adjust to your training philosophy by lowering the challenge. It is perfectly do-able with a bit more of a flexible approach to it.

I can’t get all the challenges either because my phone is too old to pair (ho hum).

(Madeleine Kraus) #10

Hi Kermit, 

I envy you! Not peanuts at all in my book - I wish I had time for 60km every day, but work and family keep me at between 30-40km during the week.  And I agree with you completely, being flexible in one’s approach to training leads to the best long term gains. The developers at Zwift have definitely got it right when the designed the incentives to Ride On! 

Madeleine

(Josh Lewis) #11

I see absolutely no problem with the 7 and 14 day challenges.  Sure, they may never be achievable by someone following a rigid training plan that requires 1 or more rest days per week.  But how about the recreational rider that rides an hour a day just for exercise or to lose weight?  Riding an hour at a moderate pace everyday isn’t going to hurt him or cause him any issues; he’s not going to worry about burnout or over training.  Those achievements are within his grasp.  Some of the other achievements might always remain outside his reach (like hitting 1200 watts); he needs something that he can strive for and actually attain, too.

I don’t think the challenges are necessarily bad for someone following a training plan, either.  If you really want the achievements, you can just do the off day really, really easy, at say 50 watts.  (set the difficulty slider to zero on a smart trainer so the hills feel flat so you can keep the watts down).  Seriously doubt you’d notice any ill effect with such a low effort just long enough to do one lap.  In fact, I did the 100 mile challenge several days ago.  The next day I rode a couple laps at a super-easy recovery pace, less than 100 watts.  The second day after I felt better than two days after other similar rides wherein I stayed off the the bike the day after.

I’m not sure I’d ever get the 14 day achievement, mainly because it would be difficult to find two weeks without some day not having the option to ride on Zwift (either because of other commitments, or because the weather was nice enough I rode outdoors).

And I cannot fathom how Zwift offering these two achievements somehow makes them “irresponsible.”  If it is irresponsible to someone’s particular training plan to accomplish these achievements, it is their own irresponsibility, not Zwift’s.  I’m actually surprised there isn’t a 30 day challenge.  There are plenty of other challenges that Zwift offers that can be achieved by someone following a “responsible” training plan.  (There is an achievement for completing a workout; maybe they should add another for completing on of the multi-week workout plans)

And while these 2 challenges can demonstrate a loyalty to Zwift ,and a recognition on Zwift’s part of someone’s commitment to the program, I think Zwift does offer plenty of incentive and encouragement to riders who are regular users of the platform, even if their training program precludes them from completing these two challenges.  The rider points and levels and unlocking of kits and bikes and wheels is plenty of incentive and encouragement in my mind, not these two particular challenges.  BTW, do either of these challenges unlock anything?  I don’t remember the 3 day one doing so.  But the metric and imperial did.

Anyway, that’s my long-winded 2 cents.

(Madeleine Kraus) #12

Hi Josh, 

I agree with you - the 7 and 14 day challenges don’t strike me as irresponsible, and they ARE achievable even by me. This is the time of year in which there is the flexibility to do things with training that we otherwise wouldn’t do closer to “A” events and the race season, and riding through a rest day might just be on my menu … I will give your 100W recovery ride a try. 

As for whether the achievements unlock new gear I’m not sure. It will be interesting to find out. 

Thanks for your insight, 

Madeleine