Connecting through appletv and companion app

Yea this update really nerfed ATV now I have to either use the companion app for everything or lose a data point. Seems like this should have been seen as something that would be an issue for some especially those that use a on bike PM and a smart trainer. It’s still useable and there’s less lag when connecting everything through the app but in a situation where competition is involved the bit of lag when a grade starts makes the difference between a perfect shift and losing the wheel.
Not to mention now for some reason Zwift sees my stages PM as a smart trainer and not a PM now :man_facepalming:.

1 Like

I agree. I don’t want to connect my HR and trainer to the Companion App as the Companion App is and has never been stable. It still drops out which would be of great annoyance during a group ride or race if my trainer was connected! I also want the previous feature back.

2 Likes

Agree Bert! Its a retrograde step.

2 Likes

So very frustrating that we cannot use the combination of AppleTV and Companion App. Here’s a perfect example from my ride today (see picture). You can see where the companion app dropped out where my HR and PWR disappear and then squiggle until I finally paused the workout and power cycled my iPhone. Even then it took more fiddling for ERG mode to lock on. So frustrating. I don’t want to enter races or group rides like this!

1 Like

Back to my original post on this. What I expected happened. My WiFi went out for a few seconds and I lost all connections. Before the update, I would only lose the 1 connection I had through the Companion App if WiFi glitched. Losing cadence during a big event, not a big deal, losing ALL connections because your app forced closed on you or your WiFi had a momentary drop is not acceptable. Being able to pair through both BLE on ATV and also through the Companion App was a much stabler option IMO. I don’t trust this new set up to even think about racing using it.

3 Likes

I would LOVE to have my Wahoo cadence reconnected.

Surely, this isn’t a big ask.

Connecting everything through the Companion App is hopeless. When it’s not dropping out, you can’t calibrate the Kickr.

Anyone as frustrated and clueless as me???

Dr David Joffe MBBS(Hons) PhD FRACP

Edit: Personal information removed.

2 Likes

Add me to the group of unhappy Zwifters. Please come up with a fix for this-a retrograde update would be fine

Chip

3 Likes

Same boat - since the update, I can no longer pair Bluetooth devices via the Companion app (I usually only connect my HRM). Also, have issues with maintaining my two Bluetooth connections via the Apple TV (it will connect my Kickr Snap, but routinely drop my cadence monitor). Used to work so well…now, not so much :frowning:

1 Like

I also think your link to pairing with ZC is not correct, certainly not for Android. I don’t have the menus it shows on the tutorial so it’s no use to me. I always update my apps so my version is correct.

I only just got ATV and a HRM and was wondering why I couldn’t get it to work. The tutorials on zwift still show the old method!!

1 Like

Please have mercy on us and give us our old methodology back, soon. Pretty please? The companion app wouldn’t even pair to my devices today. AppleTV with just power and HR again. My avatar is constantly grinding in the biggest bear!

2 Likes

Update your trainer and you’ll have cadence direct via the trainer and don’t need the sensor anymore. :wink:

Exactly the same here.(ATV, Kickr 2017 and erg(isj) experience).

1 Like

Only of Kickr is -18 , not on older.

You are correct Ben that solves the problem for newer Kickr trainers but for the older models this functionality is not available.

I don’t care to go spend $800-$1000 just because Zwift felt it necessary to break something that was working.

1 Like

I never said that.

There are a lot possible workarounds for this issue.

Most trainers have estimated cadence, except older Kickrs.
If you have Apple TV and an older Kickr, you have the worst possible combination of hardware.
I’d run zwift on a other device for the time beeing.

1 Like

Wholeheartedly agree, the new update gives a significantly worse Game experience. The ZC app drop outs are too frequent to be acceptable. I’d ask the dev team to roll back the ATV app to the old connection option of two directly on the ATV and only the 3rd connection onwards to be connected to the ZC app.

4 Likes

Excellent!!!

Thanks Chris… It worked perfectly well.

Older is still sometimes better :+1:t2::+1:t2::+1:t2:

Dr David Joffe MBBS(Hons) PhD FRACP

EDIT: Removed Personal information

Thought I’d have a look at the new ATV → Companion App pairing process today and cover that in a quick tips video… ATV 4k. iPhone X. Paired three BLE devices. Then NO CONNECTION messages on all four then appear. shrug. Load up the course. Nothing. Not a single sensor working.

I’m usually pretty good with bike tech, but that was a bit of a dumpster fire experience. :confused:

6 Likes

Hi Shane,
that would be awesome if you could raise this issue in one of your wonderful videos to make all better understand the issue we frustrated Apple TV users have since the last Zwift update!

Fantastic work you are doing!
Ride On!