Companion is no companion at all

(A Oosthuizen (C)) #1

It is horrible to say the least. Yes sure IF it works it is OK but mostly it does not. 3 out of 5 times it hangs, get stuck in ‘game mode’ or does not pick up that I have started a ride. The idea is great but when I do a physical activity I do not want to tinker with tech to get it to work.

(Robert Horrocks) #2

I have used the companion app. and it has never once gone wrong for me.

(Andre Hufschmid) #3

Same here, i have used it several times and it never has gone wrong for me either.

(Paul Allen) #4

A Oosthuizen ©,

I’m just guessing here, but I am betting you are using the Android version of the ZCA. I have have very little issues with the ZCA on my iPhone (and iPad).

(Fnu Ashwani) #5

While other members are able to use it without any issues, there can be several reasons causing this. Following steps may help:

* Make sure to keep your Zwift Companion app up to date.

* Make sure to keep your device OS up to date.

* Make sure to close all the background processes in the device while running ZC app.

* Turn off your Mobile data if you are using WiFi.

If the issue still persists, submit a support ticket.

(A Oosthuizen (C)) #6

Yes I am using the android version with everything up to date.

(Neil Owens (A)) #7

no issues on my android app

(A Oosthuizen (C)) #8

Ye again the ‘companion’ hangs in game mode today. The rest of the app is responsive i.e. I can navigate the menu but when I select ‘game’ it’s just a screen grab of whenever it stopped responding. At least I have not learned to rely on it for anything. Back to sweaty hands on keyboard and mouse :) 

(Aaron Barry KISS (B)) #9

Mine does hang on the game screen however I have narrowed this down to a WiFi signal issue. I think that as my WiFi is on the ground floor and setup in the loft conversion that the signal is not always good. This is cause either the laptop or phone to switch between 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz WiFi networks as they hunt for a better connection. At this point the companion app goes wrong. I’ve taken to moving my WiFi router when zwifting which has resulted in a much more stable experience (1 dropout in the last 5 sessions vs multiple dropouts per session).

(A Oosthuizen (C)) #10

Both my devices are connected to the same AP which is only a few meters away, but it’s worth looking into since I have both 2.4 and 5Ghz networks.