Categories are a waste of time!

yeah. hopefully those two bots werent harmed though. anyway you can move up fast w/ something like 350-400w for 1s and then sit on your 300 in that situation. i aint using sauce but at my weight you gotta know the draft, so that’s the quirk

1 Like

yep, Sauce is useful, but you can do the same thing with the speed gauge. Riding at above 40kph means lots of draft benefit, below 20kph no draft benefit.

:thinking:

Aerodynamic drag increases with speed - Like sticking your arm out of a car window, or terminal velocity when skydiving.

If you are out in front at 40kph you have about 250 watts of net headwind working against you. So if you ride at 3rd or 4th wheel and are nicely sheltered from the headwind, you are saving up to 250 watts compared to the rider in front.

At 20kph, the net headwind is only ~30 watts. Not much saving so you can ride at the front without much disadvantage.

Drafting gives no advantage over gravity. It is purely speed and aerodynamic drag related.

So, while its nice to have Sauce draft gauge, the effective watt saving is pretty much just a function of speed.

I’ve wondered if it would be fun to have no power shown for anyone in racing or on Zwift in general.

You only see your own power and not the w/kg of others. And have it also disabled for third party apps. You’d have to go just by instinct and visuals.

It might help attacks and breakaways succeed more.

Of course I’m being devils advocate since it’s popular these days.

there are HUD disabled races out there, but as far as i know they aren’t popular. with that said, i entered one by accident once and it was pretty fun

I’ve really enjoyed the few no-hud races I’ve done, haven’t seen one for a long time though. If they’re still around they’re on not when I can do them.
I think part of the reason they may not be popular is that people don’t trust that their competitors are legitimate, so they don’t know whether trying to keep up is feasible.
More robust category enforcement would help with that.
The other part is that with no-hud you have even less information than in real life. You can’t judge their body language, can’t tell how hard they’re breathing, it’s harder to judge relative speeds and distances, current and upcoming gradient etc.
Maybe a “race hud” could be developed which allows a limited set of data about the course and competitors, then work with the likes of sauce to disable those third party products for the event.

1 Like

they are fun but there are a number of ways around the lack of hud to see data so you don’t really get the full hudless experience unless every in the race plays fair

That’s a crazy idea… like asking the pro peloton to stop wearing 2-way radios to their team cars.

Well do the pro’s use sauce? I have never been an advocate for this app nor having spectators from another team being able to view your stats during a game and give them off to their team mates.

That’s one where knowing the course would be a benefit, without a gradient showing.

And besides, the routes are all the same ones so unless someone is very new, most people have all ridden them.

Race hud not bad idea.

Your power (or 3 second power)
Your speed
your cadence
your heart rate
the current gradient
the elapsed time

And nothing more. Maybe you don’t even see the list of competitors.

If the data is hidden then nobody will know, problem solved. :cowboy_hat_face: Weights were hidden from public view, so this could be a next step.

If you like racing I think you have to use a HUD like sauce. For C and B races that have a front group of 30 or more, you need the situational awareness to see how far behind rider 1 you are. Without a HUD you can’t see the top 3-4 riders making an early break if you waiting in he back.

If you don’t have a hud and all that info you wouldn’t be waiting in the back, you’d have to pushing all the time. :wink:

never needed or had much desire to use it personally, though i think it’s a cool little app. other people got their own opinions on that but i think i remember seeing it said that justin, the developer, has it disabled or is at least willing to disable it on request for certain events. i see what you’re saying though, if you’re an apple tv user or something the maximum amount of riders you can see is limited to like 30 or 40? it’s about 100 on PC, i know that much

maybe c or b is different but usually you are pretty save at the back of the peloton as long as you are aware.

It’s very rare that 3-4 riders will actually make a break away from a large group so you just need to be looking out for the group stretching and have the ability to move up. Obviously if you are on your limit it does not really matter much where you are when a break pushes it’s going to suck.

What i do find most useful in sauce is probably the groups view and the more accurate time gaps it provides.

@S_A_Cestria_CC apple tv can see 100.