Bluetooth on Windows 10, here I go again

(Karl Krasnowsky) #1

New Windows 10 laptop. I checked the radio, has BLE 4.1 (smart) support.

Start Zwift, attempt to configure. Zwift doesn’t recognize that I even have bluetooth and complains that I need an Ant+ dongle. I’m pretty sure (from my last to around with this) that Zwift does support BLE 4.x?

I have the graphic card issue fixed, and now I have this issue… please assist on getting this worked out, I really do not want to go the Ant+ route.

(Paul Allen (Watopia Wayfinder)) #2

Zwift does not support BLE straight to a PC, you will need to use the Zwift phone app to bridge the BLE connection.

(Karl Krasnowsky) #3

but Zwift does support direct PC Ant+ ?

(Paul Allen (Watopia Wayfinder)) #4

Correct.

Zwift also connects BLE directly to Zwift for IOS.

(Karl Krasnowsky) #5

so what are the complications of providing such support on a windows system?

(Paul Allen (Watopia Wayfinder)) #6

Here is where it gets silly. Zwift has not really looked in to the capabilities of Windows 10 Bluetooth yet. They could not get it to work for Windows 7 or 8.1 up as of late they have not tried 10.

The Zwift mobile app will allow you to bridge BLE to the PC and it is very useful during rides.

(Andrew Chong) #7

I have Kinetic InRide and when using the Zwift mobile link which is required to bridge the BLE+ from InRide to my Windows 10 machine, and there was a very noticeable lag (~2 seconds) between the power output from my Kinetic to Zwift. I cancelled my Zwift due to this lag. Due to this lag segments such as climbs and sprints wasn’t worth while since it would register my power burst too late. 

I simply do not see why Zwift offers direct BLE+ on Macs but not on Windows 10 machines. I do not have to introduce another device which complicates setup and introduces lag.

BTW, I work in technology and I would describe myself as tech savy so I’m not a Luddite.  

Beginner Zwifter - Connecting Zwift to a PC
(Paul Allen (Watopia Wayfinder)) #8

Andrew,

This from Zwift:

_ Jon Mayfield January 04, 2017 06:05_

Windows bluetooth is lacking the features we need to make it work.   There are workarounds that would require you to buy a specific usb bluetooth dongle to use, but it seems unlikely many would choose that over the Zwift Mobile Link bridge solution.

We’ve not investigated yet to see if Windows 10 exposes the functionality we need to make this work nicely or not, but as of Windows 8 it wasn’t very nice.

Mac OSX, iOS, and Android all allow us to control device pairing, so we do it directly on those platforms.  

Do you have a BLE-only power meter or speed sensor? Or does it also do ANT+?

Here is the link to the thread: https://support.zwift.com/hc/en-us/community/posts/115000095983-Native-Bluetooth-Support-for-Windows-Platforms

(Eric Wayzata) #9

I just purchased a Wahoo Kickr and was able to pair Zwift with a Windows 10 device during the initial ride.  Since then, I cannot get Zwift to pair.  I am not opposed to purchasing a usb Bluetooth dongle, but would appreciate instruction on which one to purchase.  From the excerpt of Jon Mayfield (dated January 4, 2017), it implies a “specific” dongle.

Otherwise, if anyone could tell me how to use the Zwift mobile app to bridge BLE from my iphone to the PC, I’d appreciate the insight.  Just point me in the right direction.

(Paul Allen (Watopia Wayfinder)) #10

Eric,

Here is a link for the ZML: https://support.zwift.com/hc/en-us/articles/205055065-Zwift-Mobile-Link?section=200993429

Here is a link for the knowledge base to assist you: https://support.zwift.com

Here is a link for the USB ANT+ dongle and USB extension: https://shop.zwift.com/products/zwift-ant-starter-pack

You cannot not use Bluetooth on a WIndows 10 computer to connect the trainer to Zwift, you will need the ZML or a USB ANT+ dongle.

(Achim Ott [WKG]) #11

Just need to share my experience with ZWIFT state-of-the-art-technology here.

Since my ANT+ dongle broke last week, i had to try to connect via Bluetooth in order to do a ride. 

You know, i had to learn the ancient version: Trainer --> Bluetooth --> Phone (Android)  --> WiFi --> PC --> Wifi --> Zwift.

I hoped that the ANT+ regular power drops of about 10 per hour would be less with bluetooth. And: right, i did not have to bear a single power drop!!!

Reason: for about 2 hours i tried to connect the trainer (kickr) to the phone via ZML, but it just wouldn’t happen. Nothing, absolutely NOTHING helped: turning off/on phone, trainer, PC, power supply and whatsoever, ZML simply refuses to connect to the trainer. Since the trainer ist NOT the cause (wahoo utility connects just FINE), both phone and Laptop are on the same Wifi it has to be the app/zwift game responsible.

Guys at Zwift: it is just ridiculous, that you folks can’t get direct Bluetooth connection between trainer and PC up and running!

WE ARE PAYING FOR YOUR SOFTWARE!

(Paul Allen (Watopia Wayfinder)) #12

Achim,

There issues with the ZML connecting to the PC due to issues on Zwifts end. They are working on it, but haven’t given much info. Here is a link to a thread about it (there are more if you search): https://support.zwift.com/hc/en-us/community/posts/115019811723-Zwift-mobile-link-app-and-Bluetooth

As far as ANT+ dropouts, this is more than like an issue on your end. Do you use a USB extension?Have you tried this link: https://support.zwift.com/hc/en-us/articles/204186849-My-ANT-signal-is-dropping?section=201145295

And for the BLE to a Windows PC that is more of an issue with the way Windows handles Bluetooth, not Zwift.

(Michael Clayton) #13

Paul Allen — I just bought a Kickr Snap and downloaded Zwift.  Read your threads…how do i get my phone to bridge the connection to PC — I have same issue where Zwift doesn’t even recognize Windows 10 Bluetooth.  Thanks!  Mike Clayton

(Paul Allen (Watopia Wayfinder)) #14

Michael,

You need to make sure that the PC running the Zwift app and the phone running the Zwift Mobile Link Are on the same network (PC can be wired and the phone can be wireless). If you are using an iPhone I would also suggest installing the Zwift app on it also, for some reason this seems to help with the link. 

At the moment the only way to use Bluetooth with a Windows PC is to use the Zwift Mobile Link to bridge the connection

To simply your setup, I would suggest using an ANT+ dongle and a USB extension. This would eliminate the need to use the ZML to bridge BLE, but the ZML is very useful for other actions.

(Michael Clayton) #15

Paul Allen:

Is the mobile Zwift App different than Zwift Mobile Link?  I saw your comments about downloading the app in addition to the Link.  I am on an android phone…thanks.  Mike

(Paul Allen (Watopia Wayfinder)) #16

Install the Zwift Mobile Link on the phone and install the Zwift app on the PC. Just an FYI, there have been a lot of people having issue with using an Android phone to bridge the Bluetooth signal.

i still suggest getting an ANT+ dongle and a USB extension to create a more robust connection and to also simplify it. Here is what I’m talking about: https://shop.zwift.com/products/zwift-ant-starter-pack

(Michael Clayton) #17

Paul Allen…thanks…it works perfectly! I will still go the ant+ route you suggested. Just wanted it to work. It would be so much easier if zwift would state by the pc download button the who mobile app link
Thanks again…Mike