Bluetooth dropping during ride, won't reconnect without quitting

I’ve now had 3 more rides, about an hour long each, using the recommended fixes since I last posted.
The first 2 worked flawlessly, however my last ride had a couple of issues.
It was different this time though, when I started my ride the trainer had unpaired and the lights on the trainer had gone off indicating it had gone into sleep mode.
I can reach the trainer plug into an extension lead behind me on a shelf, so took out the plug and plugged it back in and the trainer re-paired instantly and I was off.
About 50 mins later though, the same happened, the trainer unpaired, went into sleep mode with lights off. Again, a quick replug and I could continue… I did lose the group though.
Seems like a different issue this one :man_shrugging:t2:
I had updated Zwift just before the ride which may be the issue as I didn’t recalibrate the trainer till after the ride, will try a few more rides and update.

I am now experiencing this on my 2015 Kickr. AppleTV 4k hardwired with an ethernet connection and about a foot away from my Kickr. 4iiii Viiiiva HRM and Wahoo cadence sensor. Companion app running on separate iPhone.

Started a few weeks ago with random drops–“remote connection” message onscreen, so it is all bluetooth that is getting dropped. Very frustrating when it happens, especially at the end of a ride (2km from summit of L’Alp!!!) and you can’t reconnect.

Takes a hard reboot of everything and then all seems fine. Until now, I have never once had a bluetooth drop (~3 years).

2 more rides now, first one of 90 mins had no problems at all. Last one of 45 mins dropped out, 4km from the end of a race when I was with the lead group, on for my best result so far… absolutely gutted :disappointed:.
All the fixes were in place, with everything up to date and calibrated. BLE scanner showed no other Bluetooth devices apart from the H3… :man_shrugging:t2::man_shrugging:t2::man_shrugging:t2:

I’m experiencing the problems on a Wahoo Kicr 20

My Wahoo Tickr drops so many times during a ride it’s unuseable. Very disappointing

I purchased my Kickr in October and it worked perfectly until the end of January. I noticed that Wahoo sent update to firmware, Zwift updated Software, and Aplle updated IOS of Ipad. I am experiencing multiple dropouts when riding. The icons say “connected,” but have the words No Power in Red. My Avatar won’t move… Ive had it drop at the end of races, and super hard group rides. Sometimes it reconnects, but when it does I’m not participating in the Race or Ride anymore. I’m just riding alone.

Hey Louis,

Yes!!! There are multiple fails with each company. To fix my Wahoo Kickr I had to roll back the firmware. Have you done that? If not, that might work on the dropouts. I was getting 10 plus dropouts a ride before I rolled back the firmware. For some reason my Wahoo Tickr doesn’t work. It drops out so much during a ride it’s unuseable. I heard Zwift updated some code that has to do with Bluetooth but I don’t know. I just tried my Apple Watch, and although I still have 5 dropouts, things were much better. I hope they find a fix soon because this is crazy.

Good luck

Have you tried any of the above mentioned workarounds?

• A clean Bluetooth environment apart from trainer (check with a BLE scanner app)
  • turning off location services
  • turning on airplane mode (leave WiFi on if required)
  • turning Bluetooth off then back on before a ride
  • calibrating trainer

I had a problem free ride last night after the ride before dropped out.

Me too. Had several terminal Bluetooth drop outs recently. Latest tonight (4th March 2021). I have a new Wahoo kickr, Wahoo tickr and Apple TV. I am level 50 on Zwift. User since 2016. Never had any Bluetooth issues until the last few weeks.

All other Bluetooth devices off, or unpaired. Kickr and Apple TV 2m away. No other interference. Damned annoying!

Another update… 6 more rides now since my last post and no dropouts at all.
I’ve been updating iOS / Zwift as and when the updates become available.
I even reintroduced my HRM on the last 2 rides. After the H3 and HRM are paired though, I then unpair the H3 and re-pair it, so I know that’s the last thing paired before a ride. This is just incase that if a dropout occurs and it tries to re-pair with the last thing paired, it will find the trainer.

Hammer 3 on iPad
Updated to iOS 14.4.1
Updated Zwift
Turned off Privacy/Location services
Turned on DO NOT DISTURB
No other Bluetooth devices anywhere near the Hammer and only device paired to iPad (turned Bluetooth off and on right before starting the ride).
Rode 35 km and then nothing- lost Bluetooth signal.
Does not appear to be fixed. This sucks.

I don’t think this was ever fixed, a few users just managed to work out a bit of a workaround which doesn’t work for everyone unfortunately, I guess I’ve just been lucky lately.

Looking through your posts the only thing it doesn’t say is if you’ve used a BLE scanner app to check for devices (can’t link, but search BLE scanner in the App Store). Maybe there is a device outside your room which now and again is being detected and causing the drops.

It may also be coincidence but my son’s smart TV and Xbox are in his room above the garage and they connect wirelessly using 2.4ghz range. About 3 weeks ago he smashed his TV screen playing fortnite :rage: and since then these obviously haven’t been on. It’s possible these were causing interference/dropouts on my setup.

Just as a test to see if it is wireless interference, if you can get into your router settings, see which devices are connected wirelessly. Turn all the connected devices off and see if you still get dropouts. Turn off any Radios/cordless landline phones/microwaves as well if you have them.

Happened to me again today. H3 on AppleTV

With AppleTV, the bluetooth drop outs are a problem that was introduced with tvOS 14. You can tell it is a problem with the OS because the remote also briefly loses connection.

The only solution I found was to go back to tvOS 13, but that required replacing the AppleTV under warranty as the AppleTV 4K devices can’t be downgraded.

Since downgrading, I have had 100% rock solid bluetooth connections.

2 Likes

hello, could you solve it? The same thing happens to me and I can’t fix it.

Just to say this problem still persists for me. I usually now I only ride Zwift while running TrainerRoad (it never drops a connection). Have done two events this week and in both my Saris H3 & TickR dropped their BT connections. Fortunately i was able to connect my 4iiii crank arm power meter and continue.

One thing to add: when my Hammer and TickR are connected to TrainerRoad (on iPhone) and only my 4iiii is connected to Zwift (on iPad) I never get a signal drop. However, this doesn’t help me in Zwift events as I need two devices (PM and HRM) connected to have results count in ZwiftPower and it doesn’t remove the annoyance that before Christmas I’d never loss BT signal before…ever. Something got broke and it can work, so pretty please fix it. :wink:

I wish I could go back to iOS 13 :slightly_frowning_face:

Just a thought… would it help to connect everything via the companion app and simply ignore the Apple TV 4k bluetooth? Or did Apple mess up the bluetooth stack on iphone’s iOS 14 as well as tvOS? Using the companion app for bluetooth connections works quite well imo (if you hook up everything via the companion app… don’t do some things via tvOS and others via companion!), the only problem is on longer rides my phone runs out of power!

I think I’ll try that for my next rides. Got another disconnect today on my ATV 4K. Veeery irritating.
I just wish Apple could fix this soon, and that Zwift could implement support for Kickr Direct Connect.

Fingers crossed that tvOS update 14.5 will fix this issue, I believe its scheduled to be released this week.