Bluetooth dropping during ride, won't reconnect without quitting

Update here- Hammer 3 owner. I have been using my iPhone with iOS 13.2.3 with Zwift and have not had any issues with loss of Bluetooth connectivity. I’ve done some very long rides too. The screen is annoyingly small, but workable. I have purchased ANT+ doggle for my Windows laptop, but I have no where to set up the laptop when I ride. I would definitely prefer to use my iPad on the book holder I set up on the handle bars. Would love to know if anyone is using an ANT+ connection.

Agree with everyone that Saris should be working with Zwift and Apple to resolve the issue. I suspect they would prefer you use Rouvy and have less incentive to address issues with Zwift.

I tried to leave a comment on the Saris web site under H3 reviews and in H3 Set Up video as suggested above, but they did not seem to be accepted.

I have voted with my feet and I’m afraid I gave up on this journey, with the resale prices of trainers during lockdown in UK it made sense to sell and have now gone in on Wahoo system.

I just could not wait for a fix (it’s been 3-4 months now), I was also concerned with any future issues being addressed and as I am invested in the Zwift platform for meeting friends I needed something that is stable with it.

Good luck to you all, fingers crossed for a fix someday soon!

1 Like

I’m also thinking of giving up on the H3. The only thing that’s stopping me buying a new trainer is the risk of the problem not being unique to the H3 - google can turn up reports of BT issues with various trainers.

After 4 months of BLE problems running Zwift on iThings, it seems this thread has reached a set of conclusions:

1. Remain on Zwift, but identify a BLE workaround that is stable for you. It’s clear that one size does not fit all H3 setups. I’ve been stable running (a) ZG on an iPad with Location Services OFF; (b) ZC on an iPhone with BLE OFF; and (c) a clean RF environment with no other BLE radios around, including HRMs, bike computer, power pedals, etc. Or, find an old pre-iOS14.2 device and Ride On. Annoying, but stable.

2. Remain on Zwift, but move to ANT+ (or other non-iOS BLE). I tried this with a PC and ANT+ dongle. Works fine.

3. Leave Zwift. As noted by many H3 users, TrainerRoad, Rouvy, etc do not seem to be afflicted by the BLE problems plaguing the H3 on ZG. I’ve used TR, but the group events and races are absent. Personal preference comes into play.

4. Switch to another trainer and hope for the best. While the H3 seems to be particularly sensitive to BLE problems on iThings, the cycling forums are full of similar problem reports for other trainers. The Big Two (Tacx and Wahoo) have experienced increasing difficulty with BLE stability, especially in noisy RF environments like urban apartment buildings. As an acknowledgment of the increasing BLE connection problems, Wahoo just released its Direct Connect adapter, which bypasses RF trainer connections altogether in favor of a wired connection directly from a KickR V5/2020 to the device running the cycling app. Head over to DC Rainmaker’s review blog from last week for more info. Hint: “It isn’t going well”, says DCR.

Good luck everyone. I’m likely quitting Zwift soon, and will remain on the sidelines using TR until Zwift/Saris finally address the problem.

1 Like

Like many others, I’ve been weighing my options lately and this will likely be my route as well. I have had a TR subscription on the side all the time and have enjoyed trouble-free training while Zwift/Apple have failed time and time again, and aren’t showing any effort to fix the issue or even acknowledge it. I’ll vote with my wallet and take my money where it’s appreciated.

2 Likes

I am having the same problem. Last Friday the app wouldn’t recognize my foot pod, even though when I went to my Bluetooth menu it said it was connect. I have uninstalled/reinstalled the app so many times and it still doesn’t work. Frustrating!

I have been able to run my H3 on Ipad issue free since I changed my ipad three weeks ago. I now even turn the BT on my iphone and speaker and no issues. I however, seem to have a problem when saving my workout, it just does not save and crashes, but this is a separate issue which now I need to figure out how to fix.

It should NOT be connected in your BT directly, disconnect it and try to start Zwift.

I wish I had seen this post before purchasing my saris h2. I started off without any problems but now I’m starting to get disconnect issues (since the last update) . I’m using ant+.

This post is about Bluetooth dropouts. Ant+ issues has not been reported in fact most people said it has fix the problem.

Apologies, I didn’t realise this post was exclusively looking at Bluetooth issues, I guess I need to make sure it’s not actually connecting via Bluetooth…

1 Like

no problem @Darren_Scott2 .

Try to move your ant+ dongle closer to your trainer.

Not just iThings in my experience as had also happened to me on Huawei Pro 30 Android 10. I’m sure I’ve got an old iThing sitting in a drawer somewhere with an old iOS. Maybe I’ll dig that out and give it a whirl if Zwift is compatible of course.

I’ve solved the problem by stopping my subscription to Zwift and using RGT for free. Not only do I save £13 a month, I’ve had no more Bluetooth issues and RGT is better than Zwift as well!

1 Like

I’m considering doing the same. Just got disconnected again 20 minutes into a race, while in the lead group. Still waiting for a solution for this. No support at all, just pathetic.

First time on here. Owned h2 for 2 months.

Saris h2, all fIrmware and apps updated on iPad Pro and iPhone.

After Rouvy worked perfectly for a month, switched to bright lights of Zwift.

First 6 rides seemless. Since then everyone has dropped out even though the phone or iPad is still BLE connected. 1.6k to go of 27k uphill and drop out!!!

I’ve emailed Zwift and won’t hold my breath.

Feel slightly better then I’m not alone.

Hi all,

Firstly, thanks for the info and experimental fixes on here, very much appreciated.

I have also been getting the dreaded Bluetooth dropouts… it’s soul destroying, especially when your doing well in a race and it drops out with 2k to go! :sob:

I’m using an iPhone 7 on iOS 14.4 (with lightning/HDMI adapter cable to TV) and Saris H3 with current firmware. Zwift and Companion app are up to date as well. I only use the companion app pre/post ride as my phone is the main Zwift game connection to the H3.

I’ve had the H3 since Jan 24th and had 6 flawless activities in 10 days. Since then I’ve had Bluetooth dropouts in 4 of the last 8 including the last 2 before my latest ride.

My latest ride of 75 mins went great, no Bluetooth dropout at all. I changed the following for it as per the above info;

• Turned off location services on the iPhone
  • Turned on Airplane mode on my iPhone (left Wi-Fi on though)
  • Removed/unpaired all Bluetooth devices (including HRM) apart from the H3 in my garage.

I used a BLE scanner app on my phone to check if any Bluetooth devices were close by, none were found apart from the H3.
I also did the above for my last ride which dropped out, the only difference was that I used my HRM.

I’ll update again after a few more rides to see whether these fixes continue to work.
Thanks.

Hello there, Saris commented on their YouTube Channel, after several people from this thread commented that the H3 was having issues with Zwift. Thank you very much to all who commented on Saris’ quickstart video!!!

Here’s what Saris posted about 6 days ago as replies to the comments on YouTube:

“Thank you for reaching out. We are aware there have been some recent issues with the latest Zwift release and also with Apple TV. We are working with them to get to a solution as soon as possible.”

While it is great that they have acknowledged that there’s been an issue with this and that they are working on it, it would have been even better, particularly when they characterize themselves as an “Incredible support team” if they had provided a response to my support request. I only got an automated message, and no follow up since January 29 (today is February 19!!!). A poor support strategy overall.

I find the hypocrisy in their reply to be flagrant. “Recent issues”!?!? These issues have been reported for months here and through their support system.

If you’re able to, please keep commenting about your experience on their YouTube channel.

1 Like

I’m experiencing the same problems on Ipad 2018 and Kickr 20. I started using this is October and used it daily in November & December without problems. Zwift will disconnect from all Bluetooth Devices (Kickr, Tickr, Cadence). I have discovered I can reconnect if I close the app and restart. It asks if I would like to rejoin my ride, but It shows me floating in space above the water. I have also noticed the resistance is super strange. It will be easy going uphill, but my avatar will move slowly. Downhill will be super high resistance. I believe this is Zwift related. I’ve recently tested RGT & Rouvy and both work without disconnecting, and resistance is accurate. I have tried everything suggested. Re-install, update app. Restart IPad & Kickr. Turn Bluetooth off on all devices except Ipad. This one is bad because I needed to use wired headphones to my old phone to listen to music. I have emailed support, and included logs, but have not received any replies. My memory is this all started beginning of February around the time of Ipad update. I should mention I have also tried a second Kickr, and had exact same problems.

I was having the same issues with Bluetooth drops and kept it for a month. After reading all the issues I sent it back to the store under warranty issues and now have a wahoo. No drops. I liked the Saris but the drops were killing me. Saris support tied to help but no change. Wahoo connects to the iPad so much quicker.