Elite Qubo Bluetooth Connection Drops v1.0.48306 / 1.0.48093

Hello,
Nothing new on my side.
I was (still am) connecting my Garmin at the beginning of the ride (ANT+) and I noticed that the drop tends to happen more often with my son’s forerunner 945 than my Fenix.
The BLE issue hasn’t happened for the last few rides but I moved all the unused devices (phones, iPads) in different rooms. Still, it might be a coincidence.

Today my training on the iPad was very terrible: I spent more time reconnecting BT and ERG than riding.

Hey @shooj, forgive me for approaching you directly on this topic, but I see you moderate here. So, as you have connections… is there any chance you could put this on the radar of the dev team? For some reason Zwift Bluetooth handling seems to have become much more sensitive to outside influences. The Zwift experience is seriously affected and group rides or races are impossible. I really hope you can help out here. I’m pretty sure this small group are not the only ones with this problem.

(It’s in the same idea of this post but I have a Tacx). Very happy and sad to see I’m not alone. I can’t see what has changed in my house lately but I turned of the kids iPad, all the pc’s, Apple TV you name it. I can’t ride on zwift. Tacx Genius. Been working good for the last two years. Some drop outs when starting to ride, usually 1 or 2 but usually everything came back and I was good to go for hours. But now, impossible to ride. 15, 20 drops, resetting everything, same results. I use a Microsoft Surface and the zwift companion for my Tacx Genius and Apple Watch. I tried to connect directly to the tablet, same results, switch to Apple TV 4, same results. I unplugged all my Sonos devices, not better. Firmware are up to date. I want to know from the others, for me, the Tacx start to spin on its own, then I loose the Bluetooth connection. I have to stop pedalling, the Genius will spin for 5 to 10 seconds, after that power and rpm comeback. Sometimes the resistance is gone sometimes it’s there. I’m I alone in this situation.

1 Like

It’s already on the radar Rob. This is an involved process that’ll take time.

1 Like

@David_Cote_YQB sounds like the same issue. I guess the Bluetooth connection is dropped from the moment your Tacx starts to spin, but you only see that it is lost in Zwift a little later. I usually see my power and/or cadence freeze at one value a little while before seeing - - (no value) indicating the BLE connection has dropped.
@shooj thanks. Good to have some acknowledgement that there is a problem and it is on the radar. I get Bluetooth handling is hard (I remember how long it took Strava to implement BLE for HRMs!!) But the frustrating thing is that it seems it was previously stable and something changed recently. Let’s hope the devs can get back to stable BLE connectivity before too long.

1 Like

@shooj Great to hear this is on the radar for attention. Happy to provide further test data if needed, or test any Beta’s.

With W10 running on a Dell PC laptop (Kickr) Bluetooth is a problem when I’m connected to the WiFi router via 2G but when using the 5G option I stay connected provided I get through the login/pairing properly (sometimes that takes a couple of tries). No question Bluetooth connectivity on Zwift has become more problematic of late. I have considered some sort of Bluetooth antenna plugged into a USB port but the tech advice/testing I’ve received indicates that will not help as the existing Bluetooth signal emanating from my Kickr is strong at my laptop – rather the problem is in Zwift’s processing of that BT signal.

New test. 2 days ago I received my new Zwift Foot Pod for running on Zwift. I paired it in BT with my iPad and it is going very well. No signal drop, no problems, I ran for 50 minutes with 0-problem.

My test report is:

1. Elite Trainer + Zwfit (iPad, Mac Android): systematic problem
  2. Elite Trainer + Elite My E-Trainnig App: no problem
  3. FootPod + Zwift: no problem

From the 2 + 3 tests we can exclude any type of environmental problem or devices issue or to the Wifi and Bluetooth signal.
From the 1 + 2 test, the problem seems to be attributable to the Zwift App.
From the 1 + 3 test the problem seems to be attributable to the Elite Trainer.

Putting it all together it seems that the problem is specific between the Elite Qubo Digital Smart B + and Zwift App in their combination regardless of the environment or device used.

1 Like

I’m on day 10 of impossible to use zwift. Trust me, with quarantine I have time to test everything. I sent an email to support so they can look at my log file of last week but no answer yet after 72 hours. My last test is bear minimum. Tacx genius and iPhone only, no luck, since their was an update yesterday I had hope.

I tried to ride again yesterday and only managed to disprove my theory about my Philips Hue Hub being a factor :cry:
It was a big group ride with Geraint Thomas, more than 1300 riders. I switched off my Hue Hub before riding, but it was a total disaster - see the image below.
Maybe it was psychological, but it really seemed each time I tried to join a group of riders or put in more effort (for a sprint) the BLE drops became worse. I guess these are times when there is more processing power required by the game.
Or perhaps it is the complexity of handling multiple data channels (?) from the trainer that causes issues (cadence and power) there never seems to be any issues at all with my BLE HRM dropping.

Hi,
i had the same issues with my MacBook Pro. But if I connected my zwift setup with my iPhone everything worked perfect. So I looked to a MacOS specific bluetooth problem and found some solutions in the web. To make it short everything worked today. No dropouts.

I changed the following setting: Settings->General->“Handoff zwischen diesem Mac und deinen iCloud Geräten erlauben”

I don’t know the correct setting name in English but it starts with “Handoff…”

Bye
Robin

I am going to try this myself since I have had tons of issues with HR dropouts (using Apple Watch) and regular power dropouts with my Kickr SNAP (both on Bluetooth and ANT+ with an extended USB dongle).

I have tried all of these things mentioned above and have had little to no success - in fact the only way to minimize dropouts has been to use the Companion App on my iPhone to connect to my trainer and watch. (As an aside, I do have really poor cellular connectivity in my apartment and if that is the core of my issue, then there is nothing I can do until I move out.)

If anyone else wants to try the above as a hail mary, the option is System Preferences → General → uncheck “Allow Handoff between this Mac and your iCloud devices”.

Based on this article from a couple years back (This Trick May Solve Your Mac Bluetooth Connectivity Issues), it was a resolution to flakey Bluetooth connectivity between your Mac and Bluetooth devices.

Worth a shot! Here is to hoping that this resolves it…or Zwift does.

I solved the problem permanently.
Elite shipped me a new logic board and I had set it. No more power-drop since first training, perfect power signal, speedy and precise power changes. Take a look at the chart of my power (black row), I never had a so linear one.

That’s great news @Nicola_Lecchi. I’ve asked Elite before about a new logic board, so I shall enquire again.

What firmware version do you now have?

Thanks for the update.

I am experiencing very temperamental Bluetooth connectivity between my Garmin Speed Sensor 2 (BLE) and my Zwift app on Apple TV 4K. It does render the app pretty useless due to the continuous drop outs. I will be cancelling subscription if a fix can not be found soon.

@Nicola_Lecchi Oh! This is of course good news (for you :wink:).
But the most confusing thing to me is @Carl_D_ICC, @P_Carretta and @Ned_Newlin all state that everything was working fine before a specific update (v1.0.48306 MacOS / 1.0.48093 iOS). This does not sound like a hardware issue (but I guess it could be a version support thing).
I’m still expecting for a solution from Zwift as I am not confident that Elite will replace my logic board :open_mouth: they told me there were no known issues (but I’m not Italian :smile:)
BTW @Nicola_Lecchi was your trainer still in warranty?

A short update from my continued testing:

The Zwift support team asked me to test using the companion app to connect my trainer (I think forcing all BLE connections via the companion app was only possible since a recent update).

Unfortunately this had zero impact - still multiple dropouts. I made a short test, see below. (@Robin_Schurer and @Alex_Ayoub no such setting on the Apple TV :cry:)

I also monitored the Bluetooth Devices pairing screen in the companion app while riding - there was nothing to suggest that the trainer was disconnecting (a little yellow warning triangle appears when the trainer is disconnected - and it did not appear once).

Hi Rob,
I never used Zwift before, so I can’t say if the problem was already present.
My trainer wasn’t in warranty, but Elite gave me a new motherboard.

1 Like

Which firmware does the new logic board have?