FIXED: Trainer Resistance Issues (Mainly on iOS Devices)

Your exact trainer (including the year if applicable) - Wahoo Kickr 18’

The device you’re using to run Zwift - Ipad Pro

BLE or ANT+ connection? - BLE

Zwift Game version - 1.0.30934

Trainer Firmware - KICKR '18 Firmware v3.4.68

Sim or ERG mode - Sim

Trainer: Wahoo kickr core
Device: Apple TV (4th gen)
Connection: BLE
Zwift game version: 1.3.30327
Firmware: latest from Wahoo
Mode: sim

I recently did a ftp test workout and when it actually came to the 20min test my wattage was fluctuating between 220 330 so It was hard to gauge what wattage I was actually riding at.
Also my connection through the zwift companion app would loose connection after about 15 mins. I didn’t have any other apps open on the I phone or the Apple TV. I don’t have any other platform to run zwift on except Apple TV and I phone(don’t want to run on I phone as tiny screen). I followed the support page instructions about loosing signal still no joy. Looking for help thanks
Luke

Looks like we’ve been discussing this for quite a while - I hope this get fixed soon. I have wahoo kickr 2018, & connect thru apple tv. Zwift version updated yesterday. Trainer firmware also updated 10/30/18. everything has been working great until Tour of NY stage 4 day. No resistance changes on gradients. It’s set on “just ride” or SIM mode. When I did my short Halloween ride in watopia to check out my ultra cool bones bike, the gradient resistance was working again. Now this morning on NY stage 5, the issue had returned. I’ll experiment with some workarounds, but when i purchased everything, I was under the impression this was a solid combination of technology and equipment. works ok in wahoo fit app.

• Your exact trainer (including the year if applicable)
    Wahoo KICKR 2015

• The device you’re using to run Zwift
    Mac + TV

• BLE or ANT+ connection?
    BLE connection

• Zwift Game version

• Trainer Firmware

• Sim or ERG mode
    Sim and ERG mode

Can’t calibrate either, it won’t spin down till zero and then timeout and calibration failed.

• Your exact trainer (including the year if applicable)
    Elite Direto December 2017
  • The device you’re using to run Zwift
    Ipad or Mac
  • BLE or ANT+ connection?
    BLE connection (have tried ANT+ but didn’t solve the problem)
  • Zwift Game version
    Ipad version 1.0.31304
  • Trainer Firmware
    The latest (there have not been any firmware updates. All Direto trainers have the same firmware)
  • Sim or ERG mode
    Sim mode

New Update: Quality Assurance has reproduced the resistance issues for a few trainers and we would like everyone to try unpairing cadence sensors and see if that makes a difference. For Kickr users try unpairing everything but the Kickr.

1 Like

So unpair the cadence so it is not measured? For my Kickr Snap,using a Wahoo Blue SC speed / cadence sensor looses the resistance after approx. two minutes.

Using a cadence only sensor (like the Garmin one) ensures that the resistance doesn’t drop out

The problem appears to be common with BLE. I have 2017 iPad, Wahoo Kickr 2, wahoo HR and Wahoo cadence sensor. All have the latest software versions loaded through Apple updates and Wahoo app.
After about 15 minutes on a ride through NY, the power on the Kickr locks on a specific power - could be any place “uphill or downhill”. The only way I’ve found to fix it is to close the Zwift app completely on iPad and start it again. Zwift then takes me back to race start and places in a rear position in the ride, (which is rather concerning). In my testing, all BLE devices work again.
I’m not sure if this is only the NY route, but have only experiencing this on NY route. I’ll test when routes change - I assume soon.

Hey Vincent, thanks for the update.
What does this mean for us Neo owners? The cadence sensor is integral to the Neo. Do you mean that we just unselect Cadence in the Zwift pairing screen?

Is there a theory you could share with us that the Zwift dev team are working on to explain this loss of resistance behaviour? Does it explain the apparent start date of this problem in June?

1 Like

Add me to the list…1st. ride this season in NYC world …My manifestations were spontaneous resistance changes… 1% to 3% felt like 1% to 12% or more…Then other times climbing steep grades in tall gears with little resistance.
Just unpredictable and all over the place …no total drop outs though…even took a couple short breaks with no drops.
Elite Direto December 2017 only firmware available Calibrated before ride (after warm up)
iMac running 10.13.6 hard wired internet connection 100+Mb/sec connection
HDMI to 55"TV running game at either 1440 or @4K quality
Zwift Companion on 2017 iPad Pro
BLE
Game ver.1.03.1423
Sim Mode
Wahoo BLE HR monitor
Bontrager Duotrap S BLE & ANT+ speed and cadence sensor

1 Like

I have been having this issue also. I am new to Zwift having recently got the Kickr 2018 model. It seemed fine when I first used it on the Innsbruck and Watopia course but I think I first noticed it with the New York course. I have been using a MacBook Air 2015 over BLE with the supplied wahoo cadence sensor. After the first time it happened I realised there was a firmware update for the kickr so I updated it then restarted the Macbook and Kickr and it seemed to work fine. Yesterday however before riding I checked there were no updates and started a ride but noticed the issue was there. I stopped the ride restarted the MacBook and kickr again and this time it was fine.
However I have also been having an issue with the selection buttons which don’t always respond to a single click when I think they did before. I’m running the latest Zwift software on the MacBook which is running macOS High Sierra 10.13.6 and haven’t upgraded to Mojave yet.

Similar experience here:

13" MacBook Pro with Mojave (10.14.1) with all updates applied
BLE connection to: Tac X Neo & Wahoo TICKR HRM, latest firmware on both
Zwift game version 1.0.31423
Companion App on Samsung Galaxy S8+

Doing workouts, resistance works initially with ERG mode on then drops off, similar when just riding, hill resistance stops working after a while. The wattage comes through consistently, it’s only the controlling of the resistance that ceases to function.

For instance on the McCarthy Special, the resistance works as expected during the warm up and the first three intervals, however fails to decrease the resistance following the third interval. Attempting to disable and re-enable ERG mode while still in the workout doesn’t resolve the issue.

I was going to purchase an Apple tv 4k, however given these issues, I think I’ll hold off for now.

EDIT:
I done another spin yesterday evening (The McCarthy Special) and when using Ant+ to connect the Neo and TICKR to Zwift on the MacBook Pro, everything worked as expected.

I tried the suggested approach of not pairing cadence on my Neo and Apple TV, but it did not resolve the issue, I still had no resistance changes and no road feel.

Here’s what I did in more detail.

1. Started Zwift.
  2. It automatically picked up my Neo and Tickr, and paired all of them, included Cadence.
  3. I unpaired Cadence.
  4. Started Zwift, and selected Join for my 16:45 ZBR ride (the time being 16:20)
  5. Went upstairs to change, wearing my Tickr. This is well outside Bluetooth range.
  6. Came back downstairs to ride. The Tickr is still paired.
  7. Rode, but without resistance change and road feel from the beginning.

The pattern of me going outside bluetooth range with my Tickr is common and I wonder if this may be contributing to the problem. Merely unpairing the cadence sensor was not sufficient to resolve the issue for me.

As ever, I’m always happy to run a debug build on my ATV to help diagnose this.

I’m a Neo owner too.

I use a tickr and only fire up Zwift on the TV when I’m ready to ride, so I don’t go out of range wearing my HR so don’t think this is the problem.

TBH I don’t want to be a guinea pig for Zwift to fix their problem. All the rides I do are either training or races so I don’t wish to not have it not work properly or fail half way through, so therefore I’m doing all my using my MacBook Pro and ANT+.

This is very frustrating though as I bought an TV 4K purely for using with Zwift to save keep the my Mac out to the cabin.

OK. This is getting silly now and really needs to get fixed. Currently my trust of zwift working properly for a workout is close to zero.

I’m generally confident that if i stop pedaling that erg mode will find a silly high resistance and stick there. Week 11 of a 12 week workout plan is not a good time to be having these issues and I’m incredibly frustrated and rapidly losing confidence in the zwift platform. Please do let us know some next steps (other than unpair cadence sensor).

Apple TV
BLE on Tacx Neo & 4iiii Viiiiva HRM (latest firmware on both)
Zwift game version 1.0.31304
Companion App on iphone 7

2017 Neo
Apple TV 4K
BLE
Latest Zwift version
Latest Neo firmware
Sim mode

The latest incident I lost road feel. Resistance simultaneously dropped as well, but I was able to keep riding once I shifted gears. I rode for a while before giving up.

When shutting down everything, the Neo is last. I noticed that the flywheel was still spinning and spinning and spinning. I watched this for a few minutes before unplugging the unit. With the flywheel spinning like that, it would make sense that my resistance dropped (Neo simulating mild downhill ??) and necessitated my dropping a few gears. This is the first time the problem manifested itself this way. Normally, it’s total loss of resistance where regardless of gearing, I’m getting less than 100W.

I don’t know if this is a step in the right direction, but I was able to confirm that Zwift CAN control my kickr. Using Kicker Gen1 (latest firmware) on Apple TV 4k, up to date, running Zwift New York edition, using BLE connections.

What I did: I took the batteries out of my Tickr HRM and RPM cadence meter, turned off my phone, unplugged the Kickr and the Apple TV, and unplugged my fan. After waiting a couple minutes I turned on the Apple TV, launched Zwift and proceeded to the connection screen. I plugged in the Kickr, woke it up and paired it to Zwift. I performed a cold spin down (with success - previously my spin downs had been timing out). I selected a training route (Hilly Loop) in sim mode. Zwift performed flawlessly. In fact I was hating life as I approached the radio tower! At about halfway up the ascent I turned on my fan and Zwift continued to control the Kickr. At no point did I turn on my phone or replace the batteries in the Tickr or RPM. The Apple TV was positioned around 5 or 6 feet from the Kickr.

Yet to do: Follow these same procedures in a group ride. Last week I was pushing 250 watts in 50-13 at 85 rpm up a 15% grade the KOM in the Tour of New York.

Ive had same issues since late summer. Had to drop the Apple TV platform and use my laptop using ANT. Big issue with the BLE since late summer for some reason. No issue since switching too ANT. Also don’t think Zwift is be honest with community

Yep, same here. Same issues as everyone when using BLE on either ipad pro or macbook. Issue is only resolved when using macbook with ANT+ connections.

ITS UNACCEPTABLE THAT ZWIFT HAS NOT ADMITTED TO THIS AND NOT URGING USERS TO SWITCH TO ANT+. Absolutely dissapointing letting paying customers ruin their training sessions.

To date Zwift has always been amazing about these things, but this time you are in danger of seriously damaging your reputation, as Garmin has.

OWN UP AND PROPOSE OFFICIAL INTERMEDIATE SOLUTION TO USERS (ANT+) UNTIL YOU HAVE FIXED THE ISSUE

2 Likes

Hi Vincent,
today during the race, I experienced an issue wtih dropping cadence and watts along with resistance.

• Your exact trainer (including the year if applicable) Tacx Flow Smart T2240
  • The device you’re using to run Zwift iPad 6 gen 2018
  • BLE or ANT+ connection? BLE by default
  • Zwift Game version 1.0.31304
  • Trainer Firmware the latest provided by Tacx
  • Sim or ERG mode Sim?
    It is a bit annoying as the race was set to 4 laps and I did not even manage to complete 1 lap…