Banning of certain trainers and power meters

(.) #1

As the Zwift KISS Super League has banned the Elite Muin, Tacx Flux, and the Wattbike, I have a few questions:

1 - does this mean that Zwift can now detect the exact trainer used, instead of just Power, Smart, or zPower? If so, can that data be shared with ZwiftPower or be made available publicly?

2 - why the Wattbike, given that it’s a power meter as much as any other? I guess it’s because of the sticky ANT+ bug but that requires deliberate cheating on the part of a rider. Banning it outright sends out a very clear message that ALL Wattbike users are no better than zPower riders (which also have an unfair reputation that is now irreversible)

3 - why those two trainers but not others that are known to be absolute jokes, like the Vortex, BKool, etc.? Again, sending some very wrong signals to the community who already accuse others of cheating and engage in online bullying.

I also hear that crank-based power meters are also banned. More questions:

4 - crank or crank-arm? Big difference between the two, as one is the industry gold standard and the other is a cheaper entry to training with power.

5 - why ban these but not power pedals? I hear it’s again because of sticky ANT+ readings but why not look at individuals, instead of an outright ban? It again sends out the message that they are worthless, which will have repercussions on sales and could see potential legal action by manufacturers. Look to the recent Burleigh/Telegraph/Trump fiasco for a similar case of defamation by association.

6 - what about those systems that pretend to measure power but do no such thing? A Keiser spin bike with estimated power is OK but a Stages/4iiii power meter is not? Seriously?

One last thing but more of a tip-off to the organisers:

7 - these bans have only been mentioned on Zwift Insider (https://zwiftinsider.com/kiss-super-league-round-2/) - the rules on Zwift still do not state any such ban. You may want change that, otherwise a rider could appeal any DQ on the basis that the official rules allow it.

(Paul) #2

Just an FYI, Zwift has been able to see what devices are connected for a very long time.

(Gerrie Delport TeamZF) #3

Nice write up Robert.

I was also surprised to see that some trainers were banned. It feel a bit different from the Zwift model.

I would have thought that a points system will eliminate the need to ban any trainers except for the A and A+ group.

Lets say I have a trainer that read 30w high then I will compete in a higher Cat than what I should if i had a 100% accurate PM. But as long as I ride my butt off just like the people I compete against we all get a good workout and have a lot of fun. For A and A+ I can see that this is a problem and there need to be more accurate power measurements.

1 Like
(Kevin) #4

I have an Elite Drivo (half price Black Friday). Replaced my Muin which vastly over estimated my FTP. I use my 4iiii PM on Zwift. Far better than the inbuilt PM in my opinion. Far less deviation and I have a lower FTP. 240 Drivo. 230 4iiii. zwift pushing everyone to high end expensive trainers???

(Jim) #5

I tend to favor my Stages left crank arm PM over my Wahoo Kickr PM, because it generally reads about 20 watts higher while riding. (Things are different when I come to a stop. The Kickr still reads 30 watts for about 5 seconds after I’ve stopped pedaling.) And, yes, I calibrate both.

There wasn’t anywhere near as much of a difference between the Stages and my old CycleOps Pro. That, combined with the non-zero wattage while not pedaling, makes me think it’s the Kickr that’s out of whack.

If they’re going to ban certain power meters, they should ban the ones that haven’t been individually certified, rather than going after certain classes of power meters.