Application becomes a slideshow and doesn't work properly

I’ve been using Zwift for about a year, and in the last few months I started having this issue where sometimes the application becomes a literal slideshow (rendering a frame every 5 seconds or so), the rider models disappear (but the bikes remain) and while it still kinda works, it doesn’t seem to properly update speed or resistance.

I’m using Zwift on Windows 10 and I have a fairly beefy and recent PC, a Ryzen 9 5900x with an Nvidia RTX 3080 and a Western Digital PCIe 4.0 SSD. I keep everything up to date, Windows and drivers and even did a fresh install recently.

The PC is connected to the internet via an ethernet cable. I connect via ANT+ with the extension cable I got with the Zwift package. The ANT+ receiver sits less than 1 meter away from the trainer. My trainer is a Kickr Core.

I’ve followed much of the advice only and changed my wifi router 2.4Ghz channels to not interfere with ANT+, and I also keep bluetooth off on my phone to make sure the Wahoo app doesn’t try anything weird.

This is a screenshot of what it looks like when the issue occurs (names of other riders blurred):

The issue occurs very randomly. Sometimes it occurs as soon as I open the app, other times like today, only some time into the ride. Sometimes it goes away with a restart of the app or a restart of the computer. Sometimes it does not.

Also, when it does happen right at the start, it only happens when I start pedalling. If I stop it goes back to normal. When it happens during the ride it keeps the app in this state until I force quit it.

And I do have to force quit it most of the times because the whole application becomes extremely unresponsive.

I’ve put my logs through zwiftalizer and followed all the recommendations to improve the ANT+ signal. I don’t see anything weird on the networking graphs.

Here you can see the tanking of the FPS:

I’ve fiddled around with settings, tried it on full screen and windowed mode, made sure I had no other applications running and I really don’t know what else to try at this point.

Try the 1.0.50 launcher. Check your PMs.

The ANT+ signal definitely does not cause anything like this, the worst it failing can do is give you zero watts.

I get something like this once every few months as well (most recently after the latest update, with the twist that it would only occur when producing power but going back to normal soon after I stopped), I find that shutting down the computer completely resolves it, as does unplugging BT and ANT+ dongles and rebooting.

1 Like