Apple TV 4k remote issues

Is there any progress?

Hey Cory, this is strange. i have been on ATV since December and have had zero issues. Link Kickr, HR and Cadence through NPE Cable (ANTĀ±Ble convertor) and Controllable Kickr thorough BLE. To complete a spindown i connect the power source and controllable directly to ATV (so no cable sending other devices) works no problem.Navigation isnā€™t the easiest with the remote cont. You could try adjusting the sensitivity but again over time it has become ok for me to use. I would prefer a keyboard.

But compared to my PC Iā€™m online and either working out or racing much quicker than i would be waiting for a PC to start up.

Agreed. They need to support normal D-pad remotes and not the stupid ATV remote.

1 Like

Is there any progress?

Iā€™ve had big problems using the remote (AppleTV 4K) since february. The app has been automatically updated since. Selecting a specific route is still a pain.

However Iā€™ve noticed that using my iPhone as a remote instead makes it a little easier.

Still I believe the Swift app for AppleTV needs a major overhaul when it comes to using the remote. I have not experienced as problematic behaviour in any other AppleTV app.

Best,
Petter

1 Like

Iā€™ve been using the Apple remote with Apple TV 4K without problems until I dropped it on the concrete floor yesterday and smashed the touch screen. Replaced it with the much cheaper Apple remote but I can only select default options with in the app. The direction buttons on the remote have no effect. I canā€™t for example change the route. Canā€™t save (although I can do that via the companion app). I donā€™t have an apple phone so thats not an option.

same i hoped the cheaper remote with d pad would fix my issues but the buttons donā€™t work. A bit like with the 4k touch remote instead of swiping you can tap on a direction and it should work like a dpad. It does this in all other apps on apple tv but not zwift.

It really is the worst remote iā€™ve ever used and zwift makes it 10 times worse by not supporting dpad functionality.

2 Likes

When will it be improved?

LOL, how did you ever think to try this combo??

Apple 4K TV Remote issues I had as a ride leader resulted in 4 riders getting zapped because I couldnā€™t take the fence off. The controller is difficult enough to use at the best of times, but whilst riding at 250w is incredible difficult to use. Setting the fence on and off is the hardest of all tasks. Itā€™s a real shame it canā€™t be controlled through the Companion app.
Iā€™ve tried a BT keyboard, but the up, down, sideways keys down work In Zwift through Apple 4K TVā€¦this is crazy!

1 Like

Exactly the same with me. Iā€™ve got the Apple TV 4th Gen (32GB) and have been running Zwift without an issue. Yes, the remote could be quite sensitive but usable nonetheless.
I also dropped mine on a concrete floor and this smashed the screen. I then used my iphone and this was ok. However I bought an older style remote and even though all buttons work for every other app, the direction buttons donā€™t work on Zwift. So Iā€™m back using my phone. What a pain in the backside. Especially with sweaty hands and fingers. :smiley:

Hi everyone watching this thread,

Zwift is going to update the whole UI, so itā€™ll play better with AppleTv. This release is scheduled sometime in December. Just want you all to know :sunglasses:

5 Likes

Sounds GREAT! I look forward to seeing what they have to offer. Hopefully better (i.e. actual 4K) graphics are on the horizon.

On a somewhat related note, since the most recent ATV OS update my ATV remote has started disconnecting regularly (I see a message on the screen while riding). Has anyone else experienced this? Prior to the update I never had any issues, now itā€™s several times a week.

Yes, My remote also disconnects after about an hour and 3 minutes. It appears to be an apple power save setting.

Russ

Same problem, remote on Apple TV 4K is almost unusable.

Please fix and/or enable the standard up/down buttons so I can use my old (non gesture) Apple remote.

Zwift is currently working on some changes to the Apple TV.

for now i would suggest using the Zwift companion app.

So the latest Zwift update for Apple TV has not resolved the issue that I have with regards to my older style remote not being able to move up/down/left/right.
The remote works ok for ALL other apps on the AppleTV.
Does anyone have any clue as to what the issue may be or if this will be resolved in any future update?

Same hereā€¦ I configure my ā€œnormalā€ TV remote (with standard buttons) to be recognized by Apple TV. Works fine with all app (up/down/right/left/select key), but no effet in Zwift appā€¦ So even this couldnā€™t be a workaround :grimacing:

Alan, ā€œusableā€ is hardly a winning endorsement. I mean you can use a fork to spread peanut butter, but itā€™s not exactly ideal.

Iā€™ve had wrong routes selected, etc. and trying to pick a color for a bike or set FTP using a slider is almost impossible. Sometimes I resort to firing up my Macbook Zwift app to set these kinds of preferences - which is not an ideal alternative or solution for people who choose the ATV 4k for the cost-effective, easy to set up solution it ought to be.

:joy:

I hear you loud and clear. I often use my iPhone to do some misc tasks like changing bikes, kit, etcā€¦ While I do not have all of the problems many here complain of, I definitely agree that the remote could use some love from the coding team. While it works for me, it could def be better in so many ways.

If I remember correctly, the Apple TV interface is due for a refresh in January. Hopefully, that includes a better remote experience as well.