Apple M1 Support [SOLVED]

As the new M1 chipset from apple seems to be changing the game in laptop/PC world, and is probably going to make its way into the AppleTV is zwift going to release an update to support the M1 chip?
At the moment it use the intel logic rather than Silicon.
There could be so much more to unlock from zwift rather than it using 1 core out of 8, and being a complete resource ■■■■■. Zwift is the only app that can make my macbook heat up!

Please! M1 performance is really sad at the moment.

1 Like

I’ve got an M1 ipad pro and Zwift is not optimised for it at all, the graphics are as basic as they were on a 1st gen ipad pro I was using previously, its ridiculous

2 Likes

Any update from zwift about this? I could cook an egg on my laptop running it in rosetta mode

After 2 months not using Zwift, i come back to try Zwift again. No surprise i see nothing has been done to stop the overheating problem.
It’s ridiculous.
This wasnt an issue when the M1 first came out, the macbook was stone cold after 2h use. Now after 20 mins its ready to sear a steak.
Time to get a refund and move to Rouvy. Its a shame because the community in zwift is great, and its let down by the developers.
Ciao Zwift.

2 Likes

working fine on my M1 Air via rosetta, but I needed to change the graphic settings to a lower profile. with high settings I get also temp problems.
would be nice to see an M1 version soon. especially the battery usage is pretty high in rosetta mode.

The issue was that when then M1 came out, it worked well with Zwift, no high temps on the high settings. Battery lasted for ages.
Then they made some changes to include ultra and it messed it up. Frustrating.
Now zwift hasnt dont anything about it since.
I cancelled and moved to Rouvy. never looked back.

I’m surprised and annoyed that Zwift can’t manage to support the M1. And at this price…
Has anyone heard anything new?

1 Like

bumping this up, unbelievable atm…

As a new Zwift user, I was disappointed that Zwift is still only compiled for Intel. It takes significantly more resources than Wahoo RGT/X, which is compiled for Apple silicon. I’m tempted to switch to Wahoo X and this is one of the main reasons. Wahoo X’s Magic Roads also looks pretty cool.

jan 2023 - i guess they are still working on it!?

1 Like

runs still with rosetta. With the MacBook Air M2 it runs good, but please make the native support… it will run even better

bumping this up… that’s just another big lack of support from zwift…

When do we get a reply from Zwift? I Reality don‘t understand this behaviour.

Hi all, we’re working as a background task to gather apple silicon libraries from the 3rd party SDK’s we use. Zwift code itself compiled native in 2020 - the delay was always with 3rd party libraries.

We expect a reduction of CPU usage at maybe 10-20%, which is nice, but not transformative as you might think based on the comments in this thread. At this point it looks like we’ll be able to release support for this in the spring or early summer.

10 Likes

Thanks for the update @Jon - do you know if this will fix rider shadows not appearing for M1 users? Thanks!

@Jon I think the larger concern is the “dumbing down” of the assigned Zwift profile for M1/M2 Pro/Max machines. I’ve been able to hack my prefs.xml and profile settings to get Zwift running in 4K with lots of details (and full riders shadows) on an M2 Pro Mac Mini, which it seems to handle with relative ease (although artificially capped at 30fps it seems).

Will this get rectified independently from the background native compile work? Or better yet, why not just let the user tweak settings the way they want?

3 Likes

We’ve been conservative to leave some padding for the updated rendering code that’s coming.

The path has been:

1. Convert Zwift to use Metal vs OpenGL across all apple platforms. As of 2 weeks ago this is now done - all iOS/tvOS/macOS devices that are officially supported are now running Metal. We saw about a 10% performance gain here, invisible to most users. This process took about a year. :flushed:

2. Roll out updated rendering code to newer machines, and retune our presets. Game will look a little nicer during nighttime scenes, but it’s not transformative. It does give us more options going forward (as does Metal vs OpenGL from step 1).

3. Add tabs to the settings screen so we can have more room for various options, and eventually a graphics tab.

And somewhere in there (looking to be step 1.5 at this point), deliver a native silicon binary. This only affects CPU, not gpu performance, and had dependencies on some 3rd party libraries/companies. Since macOS is not commonly supported among major gaming companies, some of the libs took a bit more time than others.

To more specifically answer the questions, I think avatar shadows can get turned on with the native silicon build on m1 and later. The 4k “ultra” profile will probably come with the retune in step 2 once we know our pixel fill rates in the new system, altho we may end up using a nice upscaler instead. Ultimately there will be more toggles in the future so it’ll be slightly more configurable.

22 Likes

Thanks very much Jon - I really appreciate the comprehensive reply and update. I know there’s a considerable amount of work required by developers to make this shift, and so it’s exciting to hear we’re "almost there’ in terms of some of the feature parity to high-powered Windows machines. Thanks again!

4 Likes

@Jon

Putting all the detail aside, I just want to say thank you for actually taking the time to provide some information/update.

I think I speak for many when I say that getting an update (even if it’s a small one) goes a long way.

I look forward to the next one.

8 Likes