Apple introduces next—gen AppleTV4K

If you need something very portable, quick to setup to do Zwift then the Apple TV device is handy. It’s useful other things besides Zwift. I wouldn’t bother buying this new one yet if you have the old version, unless they change things up for the new ATV.

It was said my Mac would never get a profile for the W6800X, but it did and now it does everything maxed out in Zwift easily so who knows what might happen.

My PC with NVME storage, and top spec everything takes longer than a few seconds to boot into Windows 11 for Workstations. But it runs max detail FS2020 on Reverb G2…

Citation needed.

Just gonna hang fire and wait for the GPLama test sometime early November. Pretty certain he won’t be able to resist the challenge. :grinning:

There’s probably not going to be any upgrade to the graphics profile Zwift runs on, it’s whether the increased processing power and RAM can improve the smoothness and general Zwift experience the way the 1st gen 4k upgrade did.

1 Like

Any news as to whether there will be an increased number of bluetooth connections in the new 2022 ATV? Would save me having to use companion to connect HRM (which I know isn’t a huge deal, but just would make the experience a bit smoother)

1 Like

No, but you can assume it doesn’t. We’ll know for sure in a week and a half.

Hello @Otto_Destruct ,

Are there alternatives for an ATV that are just as plug & play but have better graphics?

No.

You can’t have your cake and eat it too, in this case.

I tolerate reduced graphic quality because I want a device the size of a hockey puck that goes from “cold and dark” to “riding” in 30 15 seconds, without the need for a mouse or keyboard. To each their own.

FWIW: Despite ATV ostensibly being 1080P, a 4K OLED TV makes even ATV Zwift graphics (basic profile) look good. The HUD is WAY clearer at 4k than on a 1080P or 1440P screen.

Source: I hooked my ATV4k running Zwift to three identical Samsung 32” OLED TVs differing only in resolution (1080, 1440, 4k). I bought the 4K because of the noticeably sharper HUD.

2 Likes

PC in sleep mode?

1 Like

Maybe, depends. Can I leave it unopened, stuck behind my tv and control it via a simple ‘remote’ (no mouse !) ?

It’s what Otto_Destruct says, I walk into my ‘mancave’ i jump on my bike and literally 10 seconds later it’s up and cycling :wink: . It’s quick, clean and easy. And apparently that has a price, in this case called graphics :frowning: .

1 Like

Presumably you’re not on the new home screen yet.

Point 1 - Yes, anything is possible… Just costs money to get a decent graphics to fit a small form case.

Point 2 - Im an Apple TV user, its just easier and whilst I sometimes look at the graphics and think yeah they do look pretty good on ultra (or, ive not seen that before when watching a mates stream) id still rather a consistent hassle free solution.

Sauce add in is the only real reason why I might move back to a PC in the near future as it does actually add something and improves the experience over oh looks pretty, but everyone is different.

1 Like

There’s nothing that makes a properly set up PC any less consistent or convenient.

Yeah you say that, but in my 20 years of windows use, that’s simply not true. From windows updates, to Zwift/BT issues, to Ant+ drop outs - Every environment is different and your sweeping generalisation is no better than those who annoy you by saying ATV is simply the best option.

But im really not getting into this with you & that chip on your shoulder about ATV.

Enjoy…

4 Likes

All I can say is that I don’t have problems with any of these. For the record I’m totally fine with Apple TV, it serves a purpose. It’s the frequent misleading and inaccurate posts about it versus other platforms that annoy me.

But fair comment.

I may be wrong, but I think that when Zwift first came out for the AppleTV, and the AppleTV 4K, it was stated that the HUD would be in 4K, but the rest of the game in 1080p.

1 Like

I just want to find out if Zwift is working to improving the graphics on the latest AppleTV 4K with the A15 Bionic chip? I am sure the Apple TV now has enough horsepower to render at 4K and include decent shadows?

Holy necroposting, Batman!

1 Like

We’ve heard that some improvement may be coming but no timeline. I would expect nothing and be pleasantly surprised. Do not assume the game can run in 4k with a good graphics profile on this hardware. It still can’t on an M1.

Well, now this this old chestnut has been dusted off… linking to a more fulsome discussion: Apple introduces next—gen AppleTV4K

1 Like

I moved it. Thanks fot letting me know @Otto_Destruct

1 Like