Alpe du Zwift graphics glitch [December 2021] [SOLVED]

When did you change?

I changed the camera view after going through the summit banner while doing the flat route up top. Iā€™m on Apple TV, fully updated. A friend had the same experienceā€¦.

Sorry you had this experience. I sympathise with your anger.
It isnā€™t clear exactly at which point at the summit the camera change needs to be made to guarantee avoiding the freeze/crash, but a little before the summit banner has worked for a number of riders. :man_shrugging:

2 Likes

Yeah I guess I switched it too soon. Iā€™ll just avoid events that have the Alpe until this gets sorted out, hopefully it doesnā€™t crop up somewhere else. No excuse that it hasnā€™t been fixed yet based on what Iā€™ve read here.

I switched to cam #8 right after the KOM (just before the finish line) and back to #1 after the turnaround and after I passed the KOM once again. Worked for me on ATV.

We might be referring to different things with ā€˜beforeā€™ and ā€˜afterā€™. In essence, earlier seems to be better, and then staying on that ā€˜helicopter viewā€™ setting until the avatar has passed safely onto the descent.

This does seem to be unique to the Alpe, during events (i.e. not on free rides), and only on devices running iOS, iPadOS, or tvOS. I havenā€™t seen any further info on whether all devices running those OS seem to be affected, or only certain models.

This got my husband on an AppleTV4k today. Happily, Zwift Companion was running and continued to collect sensor data and send him down the mountain. He was able to save the ride when he got to the bottom.

So thatā€™s a safety valve that might work for you until they fix this.

Switched to camera 8 after the Alpe banner, but before the stageā€™s gate. Kept it on 8 until starting the descent, and everything worked great for me.

It is beyond unfortunate that the premier event of the year has this big an issue though. I donā€™t imagine a large number of people who are riding the event keep up with the forums, and know the work around. Maybe Zwift should have a rider on every hourly event to warn people who may not already know about it. You didnā€™t fix a pretty impactful issue; do everything you can you reduce the effects. Be proactive, instead of passively waiting for people to reach out after the fact.

3 Likes

Hmm ā€¦ Iā€™d give Zwift points for sending an email letting riders who are signed up for the buggy event know about the bug. Thatā€™s just the sort of proactive action I would expect. Good job!

All points are revoked though, for sending the email 4 1/2 hours AFTER the start of the stage I was signed up for. What good does the notification do once Iā€™ve already completed the ride, showered, eaten, and settled into my comfy chair for a good post ride / pre Buffalo Bills game nap?

2 Likes

Yeah, I get the impression that the decision to send out an email was only made very recently, about the same time as Shujiā€™s pinned thread on the subject was published. (Same here; did A yesterday and then finished C and B about six hours ago.)
At least it should alert those who had left their A ride for Sunday.

1 Like

Glad I stopped and saved immediately after the summit banner at the top of the Alpe. Didnā€™t want to risk another crash when starting the descent.

Happened today on TdZ Stage 2 Mountain at 7am UK time. Switched to Birds Eye View to show the loop after completing climb, then froze just as I was passing the banner to descend. ATV 4K (not latest gen). Managed to Save in ZC, but ATV remote would not respond. In ZC I couldnā€™t change camera view, and through speakers it sounded like my avatar was off freewheeling down the Alpe but I couldnā€™t see.

1 Like

James,
Temporary fix did not work for me today so have lost another opportunity to descend the Alpe:(
Clicking on your name does not show ā€˜messageā€™ to contact you directly?

1 Like

Same happened to me today on the WEDÅŖ ride. I tried to save it in ZC but no luck. Stop button would not work. So it all went to ā€œlalalandā€

This happens to me today during the WEDÅŖ Sunday ride. Very disappointed. Any idea when it will be fixed.

Same here. ATV 4K. Latest Zwift Release.

Even the camera 8 workaround didnā€™t work for me. Really frustrating to have lost my data 2 times in a 8 day span. And the freeze blows away my plans to do a second climb in the same session.
Really cripling bug :frowning:

(using Apple TV 4k 2017)

Same happened to me a couple of days ago, Apple TV, screen froze just after the banner on the TdZ stage 2 Mountain Madness. Thankfully managed to save the ride but had to manually name the event? But the circle is ticked on the start up screen so at Zwift acknowledge that I completed it

Same happened to me on TdZ Stage 2. Graphics freeze once you go through the banner just before the descent. You can see your power, position and speed all updating as you descend on the companion app. Managed to save the ride through the companion app with no issues.

Running latest versions of ATV and Zwift. Didnā€™t know about the potential camera angle workaround so canā€™t comment on that.

Same for me ā€“ Climbed Alpe yesterday, tried the camera workaround with no luck. It still crashed just before coming back down, and as with others, I was able to save via the Companion app. I did receive credit for the TdZ stage.