Alienware Alpha hosted network

Hi,

Just upgraded from my barely capable macbook air to alienware alpha i5.  Graphics are awesome, but I have a wired network extension to my pain cave.  It turns out that while the macbook air is capable of hosting a wifi network, this is not supported by the wifi card in the alienware alpha.  Which means no more mobile app functionality for me.  Not a major issue, but pretty frustrating given the relationship between Alienware and Zwift and the reliance on the mobile app for practical in-game functionality. 

Cheers,

Tim. 

What do you mean by “hosting a wifi network”?

As long as your phone and your computer are connected to the same network and each device is reachable from one to the other, it does not matter that the phone is on your WiFi network and your desktop is plugged in via Ethernet. This is how I use Zwift and my iPhone and I have no issues.

You may need to check on your home network setup and router configuration. If you have different unreachable subnets or some firewall/filter rules in place, this may be the cause of your issue.

There is no wireless network available for my phone to connect to.  Previously this has been easily resolved by sharing the ethernet connection on the computer through a hosted/ad-hoc network.  The alpha wifi card does not support that function.

Get a USB WiFi card for the Alienware that would allow you to create an ad-hoc network. Or get a wireless router for your setup.

Is is more of an issue with your home network setup than it is with Zwift. Sound like all you would need to do is setup a wireless network that is on the same subnet as your wired.

I would not recommend doing AdHoc wireless connection to your PC, kind of leaves you open.

Thanks guys, I agree my problem is minor and can be easily resolved by throwing money at it.  I have wireless in the house, same subnet, but it is too far from the shed even with range extension hence the wired network.

Interestingly, after connecting speakers, keyboard, mouse and ant+ dongle, there are no more USB connections available on the alpha - again resolvable by throwing more money at a USB hub.

I just wanted to offer feedback on my experience of the dedicated zwifting system that is offered by Alienware and the limitations it has for my set up.  This is something I had overlooked in the purchasing process because I took that functionality for granted.

Tim, my Alpha I3 has 5 USB ports, but I am not sure why solving your issue requires USB at all.  Pick up a cheap wireless router and connect your Enet cable to that. 

Hi Tim, 

Thank you very much for sharing your experience with DELL Alienware Alpha console and as David said, the best way is purchasing a cheap Wi-fi router so you can RIDE ON :slight_smile: