After quitting Zwift, notification that some devices are still connected via Bluetooth [SOLVED]

I’ve been using Zwift on my iPad with a Kickr Core. I use either my Apple Watch or my Wahoo Tickr X as my HRM.

Every time I quit the Zwift app on my iPad, I get what seem to be phantom notifications afterward that “Bluetooth communications use power: Some devices are still connected to Zwift via Bluetooth. Would you like to disconnect them?” I don’t believe this is accurate. I physically unplug my trainer from the wall. I don’t believe there’s a residual connection to my watch (I sometimes have to force close the Companion app on my watch, but I usually check and there’s no indication the watch is running the Companion app after I quit Zwift on my iPad), nor to the Tickr.

Has anyone else experienced this? Any thoughts on how I might troubleshoot?

3 Likes

@Weiwen_Ng

Thanks for flagging this up. Notifications like this should appear only when you’re still in-game. We’ve started a ticket to fix this.

2 Likes

@Weiwen_Ng

One question: do you receive the notifcation with both heart rate monitors? Or one of the two?

I believe both HRMs. I will confirm next time I use my Tickr.

1 Like

I have the same issue on iOS occasionally with my npe cable adapter I use for my rower in zwift. Even when I close zwift not minimize it stays connected. I usually remove the battery in the dongle and reboot my iPad not ideal but it’s easier than having a dead iPad. Hope you can fix it , super easy to replicate .

Just confirmed, I didn’t get this error today when I used my Tickr.

When you long press the notification, you should have the options to “Disconnect” or “open Zwift”. If you choose “Disconnect” does the notification go away?

[The above was my original reply to Weiwen_Ng, however, I’ve add to this post to elaborate on that answer and this feature.]

A better answer is that Zwift notifications on iOS can be acknowledged by going to the iOS Notification Center, and, depending on your exact iOS version, either long pressing on the notification to make the options appear, or simply press the “Disconnect” option (if visible). Doing so disconnects any Bluetooth devices from Zwift, clears the notification badge on the app, and removes the notification itself.

But let’s be clear. The notification is expected behavior and there is a reason.

In May of 2020, Zwift took advantage of a new iOS feature to maintain real-time Bluetooth communications while the Zwift app is suspended. Previous to this change, Zwift responsibly disconnected all Bluetooth devices immediately when suspended to preserve battery life and then upon resuming the app would automatically restore all connections.

There is nothing wrong with this approach, and if the Zwift community would rather return to this previous behavior, I personally, see no reason why we can’t. But please consider that with this previous behavior, every time the app was suspended and resumed, reconnecting devices took a few seconds and by the time connections were re-established an avatar could have already come to a complete stop, which was perplexing to many users who had maintained a consistent pace during this “auto re-connection” time. It could take up to 5 seconds before the avatar (and UI) matched the user’s current performance.

With the new change, Bluetooth communications continue in the background whenever Zwift is suspended, so when users suspend and resume the Zwift app, the devices are still connected and the current pace/speed/watts values immediately match the user’s actual performance.

Bluetooth communications take additional power, so we felt it was our responsibility to notify users if Zwift remained suspended for a long time while Bluetooth comms are running in the background, hence, a notification. So you can see this notification behavior is completely normal if Bluetooth devices are still paired to Zwift when the app is suspended. Leaving your iOS device in this state will needlessly consume battery power.

For reference, a typical Zwift flow is:

• Open Zwift
  • Choose user account (Login Screen)
  • Pair devices
  • Perform Activity
  • Save Activity
  • Back to user account (Login Screen)

It is very important to note the Zwift app automatically disconnects Bluetooth devices when returning to the Login Screen. If the Zwift app is closed at this point, no devices are paired, so no notifications will be received by user, and no power is consumed by Bluetooth communications with Zwift.

However, if a user closes or suspends the Zwift app from any other point, a notification is received about 10 minutes later. Again, this is intended as explained above.

I hope this helps users understand why they are receiving notifications and which scenarios generate notifications and which don’t.

You can see in one of my other posts on this thread how you can disable notifications from Zwift altogether.

Recently, through this forum post it was brought to our attention a possibility the Zwift app thinks Bluetooth devices are still connected after the user has returned to the login screen. We are grateful for this report, and after some investigation, we did discover some logic that could account for this behavior and we addressed it in the 1.8.3 update (1/5/2021).

We think we have addressed the issue mentioned by the original poster (Weiwen_Ng), but if after the 1.8.3 update, you encounter these four conditions:

1. Complete an activity
  2. Return to the Login Screen
  3. Close/Suspend the Zwift app
  4. Receive a notification 10 minutes later

(please note that all four conditions must occur), then such notification behavior is not intended and we would like to know about it. So in that case, please do post in this thread and please mention the following:

• Game version
  • Bluetooth devices used during your activity (please include watch devices, if used)
  • Whether or not Zwift Companion was used to pair Bluetooth devices

Interesting, I didn’t know that. I only tried short pressing the notification, which took me back to the Zwift app where I didn’t see that I could do any disconnecting.

I just tried long pressing. It does appear to work. And in fact, today I couldn’t manually close the Companion app on my Apple watch - I’d close it and then it kept coming back to life.

I did long-press the Zwift notification on my iPad, and that seems to have stopped any further notifications. The issue is that I only see that iPad notification some time after I’ve closed the Zwift session there. I think 30 to 60 minutes. I’m not 100% sure if this was the case, but by that time, I think I had managed to finally kill the watch-side Companion app. Today, I only had my Kickr Core and the watch connected. I pull the Kickr’s plug out of the wall after I’m done, so I assume it can’t be that the Kickr is actually connected to the iPad.

1 Like

I understand you physically unplug your trainer, but Zwift may still think the trainer is connected, because the Bluetooth connection is not cut the moment the trainer is without power. It takes time for Zwift to notice it hasn’t heard from the trainer in awhile. If Zwift thinks a device is connected whenever you suspend the app, it will notify you after about 10 minutes.

Why 10 minutes? Good question! Maybe you are browsing music or songs to play during your workout. If you return to Zwift within this time limit, no notification is issued. Beyond that time, you may have forgotten you suspended Zwift and the notification appears to warn you that Bluetooth communications take extra power.

There are two things I can think of that you can do to avoid notifications on iPhone or iPad:

1. Disconnect all devices

The easy way to do this is just end your activity and return to the Login Screen, all devices should be automatically disconnected whenever you return to the Login Screen after saving or deleting an activity. Once at the Login Screen, you can suspend or close the app without worrying about notifications.

If you are not intending to save your activity, the less easy (but practical) way to avoid these warning notifications is to access the menu, open the pairing option, and manually unpair each connected device. Then you can close the app without ending your activity or returning to the Login Screen and still not receive any warning notifications.

1. Don’t allow app notifications

The super easy way to avoid notifications is to simply not accept them when you install Zwift. On a fresh install, the App is forced to ask you for permission to notify you, simply do not allow and you will never be bothered with notifications from Zwift. The downside is without notifications you will also never be warned if Zwift is still communicating with a Bluetooth device while the App is suspended.

Hope this helps you and others, Ride On!

1 Like

The easy way to do this is just end your activity and return to the Login Screen, all devices should be automatically disconnected whenever you return to the Login Screen after saving or deleting an activity. Once at the Login Screen, you can suspend or close the app without worrying about notifications.

If you are not intending to save your activity, the less easy (but practical) way to avoid these warning notifications is to access the menu, open the pairing option, and manually unpair each connected device. Then you can close the app without ending your activity or returning to the Login Screen and still not receive any warning notifications.

This is what I thought I was doing all along. I did confirm that today, after I ended my ride, I arrived back at the login screen, then I force quit the Zwift app on my iPad, then disconnected my trainer. This ride was with my Apple Watch.

I did get an iPad notification about some devices being connected about 12 minutes later. It may have been the watch, but I thought the Companion app closed successfully on the watch this time (i.e. I didn’t have to force quit it even once).

Again, right now, I believe I only experience this problem with the watch, and Apple watch support is technically still in beta. Of course, it’s been in beta for quite some time… I shall update this post if I have this issue with my Tickr.

1 Like

Hi, @shooj,

I have just noticed since The new update this is now happening every day on my iPad . I’m in the dark as to what device it thinks is connected to as the notification doesn’t include any details and when you login it goes to the normal connect screen as if nothing is connected . Similar to other folks , the notification is not immediately and shows up later in the day. My trainer is turned off after riding and my hr monitor is disconnected and i use the cadence sensor on the Wahoo kickr and often the iPad isnt even close to anything. Additionally similar to other users when I do the secret long hold of the notification I can stop it. I’m not sure that the workaround is a long time solution to a new bug.

Ride on ,

Sara L

1 Like

Hi @S_ara_Lance_L.o.T

The log files on your iPad might reveal what’s happening on your end. If you like - please follow these instructions to locate the logs and email them to the right team. You can reference this forum thread in your email for context.

@Shooj, done !

Ride on!

Thanks Sara.

@S_ara_Lance_L.o.T

Thanks for sending those in. We have identified an error that’ll we’ll address as soon as we can.

2 Likes

Thanks for starting this thread Weiwen, and to Sara for sending the logs in, and to Shuji for the news of the issue being triaged and understood.

I’ve been seeing these with my iPad and NPE Runn. Hopefully the fix will see the light of day in the January release - would that be getting my hopes up?

@KevinL
This has been addressed in the next release. Thanks for your patience, everyone!

3 Likes

I just downloaded the latest update this morning (the one that also fixes the crash issue on login with a paired watch). About 10 minutes after I saved my session, this notification popped up again. Still has the issue, been driving my wife nuts on her iPad too, shows badge notifications on zwift icon for these with no apparent way to clear out.

1 Like

I’m reassured that others are experiencing this issue. I’ve experienced this issue since around early December. The simple workaround for me has been to go into my iPad settings, select Zwift and switch off Bluetooth. This is only a workaround as the next time I use Zwift I need to go back to Settings, select Zwift and switch Bluetooth back on.

Looking forward to an update to Zwift to fix this.

1 Like

I am getting similar issue here with wahoo kickr core and Apple Watch.

Even when I turn off bluetooth on Apple Watch, it still appears connected, so I have been removing Zwift from Apple Watch to ensure I unpair. Hope for a fix soon to ensure a seamless Bluetooth disconnection.

I started getting this message after I started using the RUNN device I got for christmas. I figured it was because it stays in sleep mode but pops awake when it senses an app. Doesn’t happen when I use my bike with dumb trainer and bluetooth speed and cadence.