Adherence to Realistic Events

(Harvey Anderson) #1

Not the greatest of cyclist and subscribed to zwift to improve.

Every time I join an event which may be described as the real 2.0 w/kg or 1.8 to 2.0 W/kg, a lot of the riders including the leader cycle off with a power greater than advertised.

I cannot keep up and end up dropping off at the back.

Does this happen to anybody else?

(Nigel Doyle) #2

Happens to most of us. What usually happens is the ride starts off at more than the advertised pace before settling down after a few minutes. Make sure you’re putting out 2.5 w/kg or more before the event starts. Then try to stay mid pack in the draft. You’ll get left behind otherwise.

(Cary Sporinsky TeamZF ZHR(F)) #3

I’ve had to use 3-5 w/kg on every 1.5 ride I have been on. I have to nearly stop pedaling while going uphill on every 1.5 ride I’ve been on. It just repeats until it’s over. There is no standard in Zwift when it comes to speed.

(Harvey Anderson) #4

Nigel / Cary,

Thanks for the response. I guess I was being a bit naive in assuming that if an event is advertised at 1.8 to 2.2 W/kg then no one would exceed 2.2 W/kg.

Harvey

(Steve Ellis) #5

Quality varies. Some leaders maintain the pace and many of the participants stay with the leader. I’ve had a good experience with several recurring rides such as the PACK group rides that run at good times for me.

It’s like real life that way; some group rides fit and some don’t.

(Northern Rider) #6

I disagree Steve. The group states it’s overall wattage and the riders are expected to play within that range - that’s real life. They don’t make it a mini race at the start, it’s a “group” ride. In real life if you don’t play well in the group you’ll quickly learn you’re not invited back.

It should be easy to track who blows the wattage out of the water and when they do they’re prohibited from entering that low wattage again. They can continue to go higher and higher until they are unable to keep up themselves. Just like in real life!

(Northern Rider) #7

I disagree Steve. The group states it’s overall wattage and the riders are expected to play within that range - that’s real life. They don’t make it a mini race at the start, it’s a “group” ride. In real life if you don’t play well in the group you’ll quickly learn you’re not invited back.

It should be easy to track who blows the wattage out of the water and when they do they’re prohibited from entering that low wattage again. They can continue to go higher and higher until they are unable to keep up themselves. Just like in real life!

(Vince Kim) #8

i know what u mean harvey. i’ve realized that u have to assume an ave  wattage of about 0.5 wkg higher than advertised. there r always flyers that treat group rides as races and some ride leaders do little to control the ride. but what i really hate is getting dropouts then getting dropped.

(Dom Boonen - VIETVELO) #9

we should be able to give a ride a rating/review just like we do with any restaurant, shop, uber or lyft

(Harvey Anderson) #10

Vince…thanks for the insight. I am just disappointed that the leaders do not adhere to what is advertised.

I think Dom has made a fair point.

The lack of discipline from leaders during events in my opinion will be the death of zwift.

(Cee Morbutz) #11

I am really mad right now and probably shouldn’t post in such a state.   But here goes… I just finished (dropped out) of the ECQ ride because it was WAY faster than advertised.  It is supposedly a “D” ride.  I was pushing 2.4 to 3.0 W/KG and the leader was still accelerating away from me.  Did I mention it was advertised as “D”? Last week I rode the same ride and had no problem.  In fact, it was slow at times.   I’ve ridden “C” rides that seem good, and others that I’ve gotten clobbered on.  THERE is NO consistency.  I’m no Alberto Contador, but I should be able to keep up with a D ride and probably a C too.  I’m giving up on group rides after this since they are so hit and miss (more miss).   It may be the beginning of the end of Zwift for me, since the group rides is what attracted me to the platform.   Why don’t they just program in virtual ride leaders that actually know how to keep the pace.  That would be far better than humans who seem to respond to the challenges of the fastest riders.

(Northern Rider) #12

Cee,

Yup, terrible group rides. Both I had was a waste of time due to people charging off at some ridiculous wattage above the stated rate. They should be removed from the group if they go .5 above the stated wattage. Not the leaders choice, should be written into the code.The leaders are not the solution. In the real world, when a person orgroup does what they are doing is a consequence.

Additionally, in both group rides I did there was zero discussion within the group. Zero, hardly a group ride. Swift needs to figure it out else it will go the way of the wii.

(Jackie BECK) #13

I just did a group event - it was described as a social C ride with stated w/kg that I can hold.  The start was like a shot out of a gun - no roll-out.  All that did was split the pack in half and I got caught in no mans land.  

It was my first non structured workout type ride and a learning experience.  I should not have gone with the fast group - realized later there were a ton of people way behind me that were adhering to w/kg.  

There should be a roll out on these rides in my opinion so everyone gets there bearings with a gradual tick up to the targeted w/kg.  

I also didn’t know if I was supposed to be ERG mode or not. 

(Gerrie Delport) #14

Jackie:

It sound like you did a group ride, so it wont be in ERG mode, ERG is only for Workouts and workout mode.

You should just stick to the ride leader, don’t follow the guys that ride of the front.

good luck next time. 

Ps. The ride leader has a yellow beacon and you can see it in the map in the top right of the screen.

(Klem Klemperer! Z TAZ B) #15

Problem with w/kg is that it varies depending on a person’s weight. The WBR group rides are great. Their w/kg benchmark is base (from memory) on an 80kg rider so if you weigh less than that, expect to put out more power to keep up! I’ve never had a problem with a WBR ride - or any group ride for that matter.

Just stick to the beacon and let the fliers take off and disappear. After doing a few different group rides you get to know which ones are good, which are not so good and which suit you best (just like real life).