4 weeks in and pretty disappointed in the $150 a year "Value"

(Scott Pisciotta) #1

I really wish there was some competitors in this space.  The ZWIFT application is really lacking.  They are essentially using a 3rd party engine like Unreal and making a game.  Since 99% of the heavy lifting was done by the engine developer, you would think ZWIFT would be cranking out the enhancements.

Current Sloppy Features:

1. Every map should be able to track your start and end time, this is literally like one day of development.

2. Display my average watts and my average MPH

3. Let me customize my user interface.  I don’t need 30% of my screen showing me riders by me

4. Show how much distance is left in ever leg/ race.  Route, KOM, sprint, etc…show me distance to start line and distance to end.  Again a 4 hour development fix.

5. When i am on a rout and a sprint comes up BUT it will deviate from my scheduled route, let me pick to say on the sprint to record a time.  This is frustrating as hell.  Again, an 8 hour fix…one button on the UI, plus a few if then statements to pick the turns/change the course

6. The speed logic still seems funky.  I was at 240 watts, a group of like 100 come by my, i speed up to 400 watts and can’t catch them.

7. Every route should have at least 2 sprints on it

8. Ghost rider, I know requested before, but come on, take my best time, divide it by total distance of the course, and set it’s MPH.  It’s not hard.  if you were really good you would divide every course into 1 mile segments and track the Avg mph per segment to give a better ghost performance.

9. Allow me to race with people who use the same equipment as myself (Kinetic Rock N roll, etc…)  Filter out everyone else.  This would also improve graphical performance.

(Paul Allen) #2

Zwift uses their own engine, it is not Unreal, it’s all done from the ground up. That is why it takes a while to make change, create new expansions and new worlds. None of it is just a few clicks.

(Scott Pisciotta) #3

Wow, I wonder why they did that? Well that sucks.  Must have been an concurrency issue with 3,500 riders at a time.  Guess I will go back to not expecting much.

(Zee Kryder) #4

I’m glad you came to express what you like/dislike. I am just a rider giving you some feedback. Zwift is greatly enhanced by linking a (free) Strava account. If you enter races, you will want to link zwiftpower.com for results.Some of these questions/issues/suggestions have come up before. But, here is my understanding of the position of many Zwifters.

1. Every map should be able to track your start and end time, this is literally like one day of development.

Use Strava for that. The key course will track your time. Try the London Loop, Richmond UCI, and the Watopia Hilly as well as the Jungle Loop and the Volcano Lap. All climbs are shown as well (except in races and workouts)

1. Display my average watts and my average MPH

Again, this is already on Strava and thus, most will feel it is not needed.

1. Let me customize my user interface.  I don’t need 30% of my screen showing me riders by me

Yeah, prob. some time in the future.

1. Show how much distance is left in ever leg/ race.  Route, KOM, sprint, etc…show me distance to start line and distance to end.  Again a 4 hour development fix.

It is shown in every race. I don’t know any that don’t?

1. When i am on a rout and a sprint comes up BUT it will deviate from my scheduled route, let me pick to say on the sprint to record a time.  This is frustrating as hell.  Again, an 8 hour fix…one button on the UI, plus a few if then statements to pick the turns/change the course

I don’t understand your point here. Soon, you will learn what courses include the sprint segments.

1. The speed logic still seems funky.  I was at 240 watts, a group of like 100 come by my, i speed up to 400 watts and can’t catch them.

Yeah. A game will never exactly match real life. A power meter will have the most accuracy, far more than Z power estimates.

1. Every route should have at least 2 sprints on it

_ Why? One sprint makes the Jersey. Richmond has two if you want to just sprint. You can also do London and Watopia and continue to reverse directions again and again. _

1. Ghost rider, I know requested before, but come on, take my best time, divide it by total distance of the course, and set it’s MPH.  It’s not hard.  if you were really good you would divide every course into 1 mile segments and track the Avg mph per segment to give a better ghost performance.

Maybe some day. Not a priority for now. Strava will track your best efforts. Use the average watts to calculate what you need to do next time for that course.

1. Allow me to race with people who use the same equipment as myself (Kinetic Rock N roll, etc…)  Filter out everyone else.  This would also improve graphical performance.

_ Filters in races can eliminate z power and distinguish power meters from smart trainers.Simply view on zwiftpower.com and you can see in the final results. There are far too many trainer options to make that of any interest. _

_ Hope you stick around a bit longer and see the great things about Zwift! _

(Cary Sporinsky TeamZF ZHR(F)) #5

I wish some things were different in Zwift, but I am now in the best shape of my life. I enjoyed every darn minute of it, and what’s more, I did it in the bleak winter when I used to stop riding altogether. It cost me less than the amount I use to spend on soda pop, which I no longer drink, again because of Zwift.

All the best to you! Nothing personal, but your post was a bit unreasonable.

(Scott Pisciotta) #6

I don’t think it’s unreasonable.  I am paying more for ZWIFT per year than I do for the entire Microsoft Office suite for 5 computers.  It is a very expensive product.  I love what it does, it just isn’t a good “Value”  Competition in this space would breed innovation.

It’s not like it is a $50 one time purchase.

(Paul Allen) #7

Scott,

How are you getting MS Office suite on 5 computers for UNDER $150? I think you might be violating the EULA.

I do both riding and running on Zwift so I think I get a little more value out of it then most.

(Scott Pisciotta) #8

office 365, it is great!

(Paul Allen) #9

Scott, 

You said “Microsoft Office suite”, which is a different product than MS Office 365 and they both have different pricing models.

(Scott Pisciotta) #10

What’s your point.  I get Excel, Word, Outlook, Powerpoint, OneNote on 5 PC’s for less money than ZWIFT

(Paul Allen) #11

Scott,

I get it, you can stop the name calling now, there is no reason for the personal attack. 

I just wanted clarification, I was in no way being “an internet troll” or trying to attack/insult you in any way.

(Gerrie Delport) #12

Scott, 

If you don’t like Zwift then you can always use the software that came with your trainer or watch reruns of the tour. 

I spend years staring at boring graphs on a monitor or reruns of the tour just so that i can maintain my fitness during winter. I could not wait to get of the trainer.

Figure 1: This is how training looked before Zwift.

(Scott Pisciotta) #13

Gerrie, I hate when people always throw out the old, “If you don’t like it then don’t use it.”

So, is that what we are supposed to do when we use products, like them, but want to see some improvements?

Never voice displeasure in a product you are paying for?

If it was free, I would accept the old, “Then don’t use it”

(Scott Pisciotta) #14

Plus, I am sick of the response, which in my opinion is super lazy, “You will learn to memorize the courses that have actual time and recorded sprints.”

How hard is it to put an icon on the course listing for (Timed Course), (Sprints), (KOM), etc?  Seriously it is like a 4 hour development fix.  I have built commercial software for years.

If it is more than a 4 hour fix, then they built their product poorly.

Add fields to the database (IsTimedInd, IsSprintInd, IsKOMInd)

Check those indicators when filling the listbox of courses, and display an icon with a case statement.

Done.

(Gerrie Delport) #15

There are different ways to provide feedback and you chose the aggressive way to do it. No program will be perfect for everyone. For many years others tried to do what Zwift is doing and failed. You are using the most popular training tool. Can it be better yes that is why they keep developing. Just read your first post and tell me if a developer will get exited and try to fix your problem?

(Scott Pisciotta) #16

That post is a result of the typical response of “you will learn to memorize everything in the game.”

(Steve Copeland) #17

Wow, do you go home and kick the dog when you have a bad day?

(Andre Hufschmid) #18

Why complain? Nobody is making you use Zwift. If you think unreal is so great than ride there.

(Marty Curren) #19

Why not complain? We all pay for Zwift and saying we are not happy with something might just make it better. I am happy with it right now. I may not be happy when the price change comes in, if the game stays the same. Others are coming, competition is good.