4-second lag between terrain and trainer

(Tyler Michael) #1

Hello -

I am new to Zwift. I did a free ride on Sunday night and a Zwift race last night.

I am having a problem where there is a 4-second delay between the terrain and my trainer. As my avatar reaches the top of a hill, my trainer continues to simulate me on a hill for 4 additional seconds.

I also noticed that if I start pedaling extremely fast, there is a 4-second delay before my avatar accelerates accordingly. This makes it almost impossible to ride in a pack let alone try to draft.

I have a Garmin ANT+ USB adapter, Tacx Vortex Smart Trainer, Windows 7, super fast CPU and internet connection that can handle all of today’s top computer games.

The ANT+ USB adapter is sitting right next to the trainer.

Any help fixing the 4-second lag would be greatly appreciated. Even if I could get it down to 2 seconds then it might be possible to stay in a group and draft.

Thanks for your time.

(Ray Ruyack ) #2

Check to see in your settings (pc app, not mobile) that you have the Power Display set to Instant.

Good user guide here - http://www.titaniumgeek.com/cycling/zwift-user-manual-unofficial-running-updates/

(Tyler Michael) #3

I will try this when I get home tonight and update this thread with the result. Thank you, Ray.

(Tyler Michael) #4

Ray, is this the Tacx pc app or Zwift where I should be looking for power display?

(Ray Ruyack ) #5

Zwift pc application under settings.

(Tyler Michael) #6

I found it in the guide you sent me for Zwift. I see it now. (3-second average or instant).

Hopefully this fixes my issue.

(Ray Ruyack ) #7

Ok.

(Tyler Michael) #8

Hi Ray -

I changed the setting to instant but I still have a delay. I raced last night in the KISS birthday bash and had the same delay problems. The group I was riding in was massive but I still had trouble drafting with them. I would fall behind then accelerate to catch back up, but because of the delay I would end up accelerating too fast and passing them. The same issue with falling back in line, I would fall back too much.

I do not think it is my Tacx Vortex trainer because the trainer sends ANT+ data to my 920xt just fine with no delay. It is either the ANT+ USB adapter that is the issue or the zwift software itself. I was hoping to be able to troubleshoot the ANT+ USB adapter without having to buy a second one. The one I have is Garmin brand so I would think it was good. Great reviews on Amazon by other Zwifters.

Any ideas on how I could troubleshoot further? I am pretty tech savvy so no ideas are too complicated for me.

(Ray Ruyack ) #9

Got me at this point,  Maybe open a support ticket.

(Tyler Michael) #10

Thanks for the efforts, Ray. I really appreciate it. I’ll see if I can borrow an ANT+ USB adapter and troubleshoot that then open a ticket.

(Zsofia Imre) #11

Hi I have a similar lag-problem with Zwitf / Tacx Vortex. When accelerating, the lag is perhaps less than the 4 seconds that you mention, but still obvious. However, when I stop pedaling, the power reading decreases only slowly, and reaches zero only when my wheel also stops; from 200W to zero it takes 5 seconds - not in Zwift but in the Tacx app on my phone. I guess this is the reason why I am having difficulties in drafting, and I assume Zwift cannot do anything about it. Because of this (and because I enjoy Zwift sooo much) I am considering upgrading to better trainer. However, from my side this analysis is just an assumption that I cannot verify because I have no access to any other trainer to try it out.

Could anyone tell me how does the power reading of the higher-end direct drive trainers behave when you stop pedaling? Or do other Vortext trainers behave differently than mine? Can one learn drafting with a Vortex? I mean with relatively high success rate?

Thanks,

Ferenc

(Tyler Michael) #12

Ferenc - I was never able to get my lag issue resolved. I need to double check next time but I think when I accelerate quickly, my power in zwift increases immediately even though it takes my character 3-4 seconds to respond. My dad just recently purchased a tacx, same setup as mine. It comes tomorrow, it will be interesting to see if he has the same lag as me. Drafting is so hard for me with the delay.

(Barnabas Pataki) #13

Thanks Tyler! I am looking forward to hear your experiences with your dad’s trainer.

(Cliff ROESLER) #14

Tyler - Its probably NOT your trainer, or maybe its ALL smart trainers.  I confirm exactly the same issue when free riding using a CycleOps PowerSync (with Garmin ANT+ on an extension USB cable landing 4 inches from the trainer).  The 3-4 seconds lag is consistent.  I also checked with a friend who uses the Tacx Smart and he says maybe more like 2-3 seconds, but no question there is a lag.  The lag did score me two “Ride-Ons” this week when I flew up some short hills (because the effort was still down-hill), but I’d trade those for no lag!!  

(Nigel ) #15

Yup, several second lag for me on my new Cycleops Hammer trainer. Running Zwift on a i7 powered laptop so plenty of grunt. Seems to me that Zwift needs a lag slider control where you can adjust how far ahead the program reads the terrain. This would improve things massively.

1 Like
(Lloyd Rees) #16

I’m new to Zwift (but have played a lot of online games over the years). I too find there’s a definite delay or lag between visual gradient change and load on the interactive trainer. It’s certainly in the region of 4 or 5 seconds. Is there any update in the pipeline from Zwift to fix this issue. Suspect it’s a software issue, so hopefully easily fixed.

Any feedback, help on this Zwift?

(Peter Harris (ODZ)) #17

I have the same problems.  Prob around a 3 sec delay.  Its seems to have got slightly worse since the last few Zwift updates.  I used to be able to account for it and stay in the pack and draft etc., but right now I end up zooming past, or falling too far behind, which to be honest is really starting to put me off continuing to use Zwift.  

I use the TacX smart trainer and Garmin ANT+ USB dongle which is only a few cm’s away from the trainer itself.

It seems that most of us in this thread are all using the Garmin ANT+ dongle but different trainers, I wonder if the Garmin is the cause?  Has anyone tried a different ANT+ adapter yet. I dont have a different one to try.

I would really like to sort this problem out. 

(Tyler Michael) #18

I still was unable to resolve this issue or even improve it at all. I have received no response from Zwift support either. I canceled my membership today.

(Lloyd Rees) #19

I’ve contacted Zwift support and worked the problem through. Turns out the game servers are based in the west coast USA. If you (like me) are based in UK/EU you’re probably looking (at best) at a 150ms ping to the game server. That accounts for most of the lag or delay in response, most noticeable for example when cresting a hill. The other component of lag is due to the hardware, the trainer response. Combined, this gives the 4 second lag I’m experiencing over here in London.

Until Zwift setup some local game severs, there’s not much hope of improving this…

I’ve no idea how much it would cost to setup and run an EU game server, but I can’t think it’s that much these days… Come on Zwift over to you!!!

(Tyler Michael) #20

“I’ve contacted Zwift support and worked the problem through. Turns out the game servers are based in the west coast USA. If you (like me) are based in UK/EU you’re probably looking (at best) at a 150ms ping to the game server. That accounts for most of the lag or delay in response, most noticeable for example when cresting a hill.”

“Until Zwift setup some local game severs, there’s not much hope of improving this…”

Sorry, but 150ms is nothing. That is .15 seconds. This is not a ping issue.