2020 World ChampionshipsAigle/Martigny

the courses were unveiled Jan 2019.
the race was canceled 12 Aug.
The new course was announced 03 Sep.
The road race is 26-27 Sep.

Clearly Zwift could throw something together for the new course in time (RGT can construct Magic Roads routes in a few minutes), but it would lack the detailed modeling they’ve done on prior courses. I’d have to assume a lot of work has gone already into Switzerland, although resources might have been diverted for the Tour. So my guess is they’ll go with Switzerland.

Zwift could do that but It will look just as bad as RGT.
Magic roads is noting new Elite could do it in 2008.
The appeal is the graphics, something to keep you focused for a hour or two.

Of course, Eric Min has said Zwift won’t release a map unless it is truly finished. No rough draft with an update to polish it up.
Previous to the change, there should have been fun events on Switzerland during World Championship week. Wait and hope.

1 Like

There was just a new release and no worlds course, apparently, although the race is in three weeks. The Yorkshire course was released first week in September 2019. Innsbruck was released at the beginning of August 2018.

The ZwiftCast episode released Thursday announced there would be no world championship map this year. Sigh.

Yeah. I heard Simon announce it too. No Nationals either which kind of takes away from the Worlds in December being legitimate championships. Just another ‘Pro’ race with a few “wildcards” thrown in.

I don’t even know how world championships would work. Will they have a standard trainer and riders go to designated sites to ride the official trainers, get a weigh in on the spot, then ride?

In any case hopefully Zwift uses this opportunity to expand Innsbruck with the missing “long lap” used by elite men on the final lap. London and Richmond have been updated and Innsbruck should be next.

It will be on Watopia All entrants receive the same trainer for a month then return it. Weigh in videos 72 hours before main event.
I agree Innsbruck needs some new tarmac but it won’t change.

1 Like

Why won’t it change? At present Innsbruck doesn’t get much time on the schedule but that’s mostly because they’re sticking to the two worlds rule and France has been getting so much of the time. France is pretty but unless you want to climb Ventoux it’s fairly limited, with an expansion obviously in the plans with all of the road stubs, many unpaved.

You can ride the World Championship route from home but you just have to look a bit further afield than Zwift…

1 Like

Well, that’s obscure :). Neither FulGaz nor RGT have it.

Here’s a profile of the Gramartboden climb. 350 meters @ 19.7 % embedded within a climb gaining 322 meters in 2.70 km would be the most challenging short-to-medium duration climb on Zwift (assuming 100% resistance).

Using the magic roads feature in RGT you can ride any route in the world.

Well, yeah – but this is a Zwift forum. Magic roads are bare-bones (and additionally require a subscription).